Liskeard Grounded Coach

I'm looking for a bit more information on this coach, used as a 'Staff Association' building in the 30s-60s at Liskeard:

8492789859_201facaa35.jpg
Liskeard station, 12 Mar 1983 by midgpee, on Flickr

my book on GWR Coaches identifies it specifically as No. 252 built in 1896, and the first GWR dining car. the photo caption refers to a later diagram that looked similar, H7, but I cannot find any other info on this one, or any kits I might use.

any ideas for a kit to best approximate this model?

yes I do, and that is very helpful -thanks.

edit: wow, didn't realise it was now a camping coach. I'd seen the St Germans camping coaches on TV. what a coincidence.

double edit: found it: 247 developments do the sides for it. thanks again :)

yes I do, and that is very helpful -thanks.

edit: wow, didn't realise it was now a camping coach. I'd seen the St Germans camping coaches on TV. what a coincidence.

double edit: found it: 247 developments do the sides for it. thanks again :)

Check the 247 (and Blacksmith sides) against your image as it is sold as a H2/7. The sides I have are more H7 rather than H2 with the kitchen in the middle rather than at one end.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking for a bit more information on this coach, used as a 'Staff Association' building in the 30s-60s at Liskeard:

8492789859_201facaa35.jpg

Liskeard station, 12 Mar 1983 by midgpee, on Flickr

my book on GWR Coaches identifies it specifically as No. 252 built in 1896, and the first GWR dining car. the photo caption refers to a later diagram that looked similar, H7, but I cannot find any other info on this one, or any kits I might use.

any ideas for a kit to best approximate this model?

It was also used as a 'lecture' coach for various purposes by the railway. I attended a first aid course in it and it was also used for 'self improvement' classes (whatever they were meant to be!)

It was in surprisingly good condition when I was in it. The tin roof helped a lot. I recall that all the fancy glass in the clerestory was all in an excellent state. Probabaly a lot better than in the later image. 

Thank you for finding and posting the picture. I've always wanted to find one!

I am not sure about these being the same coach. They do look to have a different window arrangement. (a large window on the other side of the St Germans image can be seen?) I was informed some time ago that it (the body) was now at Buckfastleigh. Pperhaps somebody knows different.

It was also used as a 'lecture' coach for various purposes by the railway. I attended a first aid course in it and it was also used for 'self improvement' classes (whatever they were meant to be!)

It was in surprisingly good condition when I was in it. The tin roof helped a lot. I recall that all the fancy glass in the clerestory was all in an excellent state. Probabaly a lot better than in the later image. 

Thank you for finding and posting the picture. I've always wanted to find one!

I am not sure about these being the same coach. They do look to have a different window arrangement. (a large window on the other side of the St Germans image can be seen?) I was informed some time ago that it (the body) was now at Buckfastleigh. Pperhaps somebody knows different.

I found it quite by accident when hunting for photos of Liskeard. didn't even realise it was at Liskead (looking at thumbnails on flickr) until I saw part of it in a corner of another Liskeard picture.

couldn't believe my luck when I saw the same coach in my book, although on closer inspection there is quite a bit more information on the page that I glossed over at first. :rolleyes:

if you're interested it's in Great Western Coaches in Colour on page 44 and in choc&cream :)

From an article/dining car research by David Geen

The GWR Magazine of February 1933 contains an item about the Social and Educational Union at Liskeard acquiring a ‘70ft’ former dining car, erected on land adjacent to the station, where it stands today, the sole survivor of the original six. The fact that No.9501 still exists, in reasonable condition, gives us a hope that the body might be saved and eventually restored. (H2)

(H7) - One of them, No.9519 (ex.1579) had the design of roof known as a ‘Royal Clerestory’. The GW Registers say “Roof made to turn under similar to Royals” with the date August 1912. Two of these vehicles remain with us today, both in very run-down condition. One of these, No.9519, with its Royal clerestory roof, is rotting away behind a cafe in Berkshire, whilst its sister, No.9520, has been preserved and can be found at the Great Western Society centre at Didcot.

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/coaches/9520/9520.html   Note kitchen in centre as per 247/Blacksmith etches.

234 was part of the 1897 Royal Train to Diagram G4

Mike Wiltshire

Archived