Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Thatched cottage Ressurected

cheers everyone for the kind comments,

the model is a prototype altho in reality it had a slate roof and was constructed from drawings and photods supplied by Malcolm mitchel in an old issue of the constructer mag, I can't think what the name of the cottage was now.

you may be also aware that Malcolm mitchel was a great friend of the late dorris and Illiffe stokes who were pioneering Architectural modelmakers and a talent to behold.

cheers

peter

ps: Trisonic, pete, yes i agree :-)

Guest jonte

Hi Gravy Train,

May I ask which adhesive was used to glue the wooden framing to the plasticard shell?

If this is an 'historic' build, which contemporary glue would you recommend for the purpose; perhaps Butanone?

Many thanks,

Jonte.

Guest jonte

Hi Jonte,

it was 4mm plywood sleeper strip ( EM Gauge society ) glued directly to the plastic using i think, Plastic Weld or the original Mek-Pak.

hope that helps

cheers

Peter

Thanks, Peter, and apologies for my late response.

Jonte.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan and Ian,

they look nice and certainly look the part an intresting concept Wool, flock and wood dye, how did you dream that one up? :-)

I just used tufts of plumbers hemp and fixed them to a card roof with PVA as you would with carpet underfelt then with the Wifes best curved nail scissors, trimed to shape then stained with wood dye, the intresting thing is the dye collects at the bottom of the thatching as would rainwater, trouble is these photos were taken years after it was done originally and of course the colour has faded somewhat.

It was also my first attempt and never done one since or at least never been asked to build one.

cheers

Peter

Hi Alan and Ian,

they look nice and certainly look the part an intresting concept Wool, flock and wood dye, how did you dream that one up? :-)

I just used tufts of plumbers hemp and fixed them to a card roof with PVA as you would with carpet underfelt then with the Wifes best curved nail scissors, trimed to shape then stained with wood dye, the intresting thing is the dye collects at the bottom of the thatching as would rainwater, trouble is these photos were taken years after it was done originally and of course the colour has faded somewhat.

It was also my first attempt and never done one since or at least never been asked to build one.

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,what's with the slopey writing then?! bloody computers!!!!

Sometimes you can treat 'colour fade' with a few blasts of clear matt varnish - if it don't work, what have you got to loose ?

Can't remember how I dreamed up knitting wool thatching, at the time, I  suppose, it seemed the only way to go - but I did try pyruma fire cement once and 'dragging' the strands in with a wire brush - what a mess !

I think that If I had to build a thatched cottage now I'd probably do the same as I ever did - knit a tea cosy !

Cheers

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Archived