ZTC 611 UPDATED CONTROLLER!

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently if you join the ZTC owners club, there is a 5% discount on online prices, whether that's for as long as you are a member, or just on your first order or first year of membership isn't clear. I think I've also seen somewhere that if you visit the shop and buy over the counter there is a discount on online prices.

The new web site looks very smart, but there is still the same minimal information about each product. The web site needs more work as for some products you can't click on the name to see the description/additional information as the Add to Cart box pops up and gets in the way.

The 257 21MTC loco decoder has resurfaced, but the 304 accessory decoder is still missing.

The Customer Comments page makes for interesting reading.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As a user of the ZTC255 decoders, I do dip into the Taunton Controls web site occasionally. I was looking tonight and just noticed that ZTC branded products are no longer the only DCC items on sale.

Surprise, surprise, they are listing ESU's ECoS 2, Loksound V4 decoders, and the Profi Prufstand Decoder Tester. The ECoS2 is priced at GBP 500, and having gone from a ZTC 505 to an ESU ECoS, and now to an ECoS 2, for me there's no contest between an ECoS2 at GBP500 and a 611 at GBP 470. The ECoS wins hands down. This is NOT knocking the 611, but the inevitable comparison just throws the shortcomings of the 611 into even sharper focus for me.

Does this mean that the 611 is likely to be delayed further, and Taunton felt that they had to be able to offer a top quality DCC system until the 611 goes on sale, or an attempt to widen the product range to beyond ZTC branded items to make Taunton Controls a viable business? 

Well I've used them both, one after the other, and for me (as I clearly said earlier) there is no contest, and that was the 505/511 compared to the old monochrome ECoS.

• ECoS has 2 throttles on which you can select any 1 of 5 locos on each throttle at the touch of the screen. The 611 still has only 1 throttlle.
  • ECoS has a touch screen LCD, colour on the ECoS 2,  The 611 hasn't any touch screen functionality.
  • ECoS has a track plan diagram that allows you to touch the screen to set up routes, or operate points and signals. The 611 does not have a touch screen so you have to remember the address of each point or signal.
  • ECoS has programmable icons for the function buttons so that you can see at a glance what each button does with direct access to Functions 0 to 17. The 611 doesn't have that option, you still have to remember what each button does on each loco.
  • ECoS has had user upgradeable firmware since the days of the ECoS 1.
  • You can use radio throttles with ECoS, such as the ECoSControl Radio, or apps on a smartphone such as TouchCab on iPhone, or the new Mobile Control II, due 2nd quarter 2015 so I hear.
  • ECoS has Railcom. There is no mention of Railcom on the 611 spec, strange as the Diamond range of decoders do have Railcom/ZTC Talkback.
  • ECoS has Railcom Plus. Again the 611 spec makes no mention of Railcom Plus.
  • ECoS has a PSU that lets you vary the input voltage so you don't have to change the PSU if you change from OO to N gauge. The 611 still relies on different PSUs to cope with the voltage difference for OO an N gauges.

Need I go on?

Edited by GoingUnderground

You have sold me on it Keith.

Oh, I have one. Soon to be two.

Like you I have both, still !

And don't forget you can go up to F28 on the touch screen using a touch button to access the higher functions with fill graphics of what each one does.

What display does the 611 have and what does it display?

Hi Andy,

No I don't have the 505 any more, it was sold years ago. However I do still have my ECoS 1, on firmware 4.0.1, (it started life on firmware 1.1.1) as well as my colour ECoS 2. The only area for me where the 511/611 scores over the ECoS is that you can use a 511/611 as a slave to another 511/611. To date, you can only use the track out to sniffer port method to connect one ECoS to another. Will that change to give us master/slave sharing the locos, routes, track plan and accessories between 2 ECoSs....? Who knows...?

In some ways Keith the slave function of joining two 511's is similar to joining two ECoS. On both systems you loose the track outputs so both slaves are dumb controllers.

I think that with the new V4 range of software it will happen soon allowing two ECoS to be joined whilst still maintaining the track outputs of both.

I quite like the speed matching of the controller and a running loco. If you take control of a loco on the ECoS it automatically positions the control know. No hunting to match the speed lever on the 511 to the speed of the loco.

Of course as well you can see ten locos at once on the display of the ECoS and what each loco is doing with regards speed and directions with functions of two locos displayed in full at the same time.  Then if you want you can have a single loco on one side whilst having multiple locos on the other or just one loco per side. Very flexible really.

Edited by two tone green

Many thanks for all that, and yes I have seen a ECoS (I do go to quite a lot of exhibitions), and whilst I've never used one I have watched them in use a lot.  What you've just confirmed for me is that I don't want one.

Whilst operation via a touch screen may well be attractive to some, to me it's just like operating my railway via a computer which I have no desire to do, (I spent my working life as a computer professional, and I was very good at it, but it's bad enough having to have a laptop to survive these days, and I deliberately didn't buy a touch screen one !).  Equally I don't want to operate a loco wirelessly via my mobile phone either (what happens if my girlfriend rings me up when I'm driving the Pines Express), I'd prefer to keep phone and trains separate, and yes I do have a modern touch screen one, they drive me up the wall because it's too easy to do something I didn't want to do.

The other thing about the ECoS is that it gives me the impression of being in the cab of a modern EMU, and as I'm a steam only modeller that's a complete turn off.  I accept that it's easy to operate points and signals by touching a track diagram, but I'm quite happy to have my track diagram on the wall with the point/signal numbers written on it, then key them in (you soon remember them), and if you'r using a handheld you need to remember the numbers anyway. .

Yes the ECoS has two throttles, but I have a 622 as well (which I can plug in all over my railway) and which I find is very easy to operate with my left hand (I'm right handed but also now use my left a lot because I've arthritis in my right thumb joints), and I can plug in more. 

As for remembering what functions do what, well I agree it can be handy if you'r a diesel lights/sound modeller, but as sound is both expensive and unimpressive for steam (as well as being almost impossible or a lot of work in a lot of locos) I don't have that need.  The only functions I use are for 'half speed' shunting. 

The 611 does also have software upgrades downloadable by the user. 

I'm never going to use N gauge so a different power supply isn't a problem, and Railcom ??, well I'm not being sarcastic here but do many people use it ?.  I've never found anyone yet that does though I'm sure someone must.  The impression I get is that the upgrades that make the 611 don't include Railcom because there was a limit to how much could be afforded initially and the demand wasn't there.   

Edited by Combe Martin

Nice reply Combe Martin.

Interesting points you make about your requirements but think of the wider world and those who have more demands than your own.  

As for sound, there must be some demand for it looking at sales figures for decoders and factory fitted locos.

As for your impression of the ECoS being like a modern EMU, I have thought of the 511 as a diesel or DMU driving desk. Closer to a diesel than a steam loco.

Railcom and Railcom Plus, you now know at least one user of it, me and find it very useful for tweaking CV's etc on the fly in locos and accessory decoders. There are a lot of other uses but as you are not interested in its use then no point going on about it.

But thanks for your comments, I'm sure prospective purchasers of the 611 will find them useful.

I simply originally asked what it was felt were the shortcomings of the 611, and one mentioned (which is a major difference) is obviously the lack of a large display, unlike the ECoS.  Whether that's a shortcoming or not, I'm not sure.  Afterall, most DCC systems don't have a large display though I agree that as modellers use of DCC, and it's functionality, increases, then for some users a larger display becomes more desirable.  And yes I don't personally like touch screens, (it's too easy to do the wrong thing) but that doesn't mean I'd deny them to others. Is it a shortcoming though ?, or rather a 'nice to have' for some.

As for sound I find it very impressive in diesels and have no objection to it so understand the need for functions there, but I was referring to steam where it is less impressive.  Whether it will fully catch on in steam models I'm not sure especially given the additional cost (approaching £100 per loco and considering all the objections and complaints about Bachmann's small by comparison price increases on standard locos, it may depend upon how Hornby's TTS develops ) and the difficulty in finding space for sound in tank locos.  I feel the jury's out on this one. I do wonder if many modellers will have lots of sound fitted steam locos !

And I didn't say I wasn't interested in Railcom, I asked whether many use it, afterall there isn't much discussion of it and the impression I've had is that at the moment there isn't much demand for it.

And by the time that happens Colin we will be onto mind controlled layouts with fuel cells in the locos for power.

I think as well that I will be long gone by then and ZTC owners can sleep happily in their beds

Edited by two tone green

Combe Martin,

You asked what were the shortcomings of the 611 compared to the ECoS, and I gave them as I saw them. If they're not shortcomings as far as you are concerned, then that's fine by me. But you did ask. What I didn't mention was the interminable button pushes needed to operate the 505/511 as until the 611 goes on sale we won't know if that is the same as the 511. Being able to update the firmware yourself is one thing, actually releasing upgrades for your users to apply that provide significant additional functionality, or even just applying bugfixes, is another matter. So the jury is, as far as I am concerned, still out on that one for the 611.

Railcom will be no use to you if your loco decoders are not Railcom capable. Only you know if they are, and if they are not then the lack of Railcom on the 611 won't affect you. But I use it, and like it.

I wasn't trying to sell you, or anyone else the benefits of the ECoS. Just pointing out how incongruous I felt it was for Taunton to be selling the ECoS as a DCC controller on their web site when the ECoS is so much more advanced, as I see matters at least having owned a 505, and being a current owner of both an ECoS 1 and an ECoS 2, than the still to be released 611. The 611 may indeed evolve into a much more capable machine, or it may not. Only time will tell. For me the ECoS gives a lot more bang for your bucks than the 611. 

The 611 will I am sure be a modest success if only due to owners of the 505/511 getting upgrades to 611 spec to remove the shortcomings in the 505/511 firmware. But it is, at least judging by its current published spec, hardly cutting edge technology. But perhaps that is what some people, such as yourself, want.  

Perhaps the sale of other makers DCC eqipment such as the ECoS will fund the 611.

You make a good point about software upgrades as those are usually free to users but must cost the makers quite a bit to develop.

The ECoS has developed with new features due to its touch screen and versatile control system. I wonder if the 611 will do similar. The biggest change to the 511 was a back lit display and I had to pay to have mine upgraded.

We await what is on offer from the new owners ith interest. The Reading O Guage Traders show will be my first encounter with them followed by the Bristol O Gauge Show. I will make a point of stopping by for a chat.

• 2 weeks later...

As the 5th owner of ZTC Controls we would like to confirm that the new 611 controller will be on show at the NEC this month. Many of you have asked for various updates to the 511, well, we have included all your requests in the upgrade.

We, the new owners, will be pleased to show you the product range of ZTC plus other equipment that may be of interest to Modellers.

The new name is Taunton Controls Ltd  from Taunton in Somerset. We are the only UK based DCC manufacturer and offer a telephone helpline on 01823 327155 from 9am to 9pm 6 days a week, NOT Wednesday's. This helpline is to help anyone who needs clear and simple advice on matters DCC or DC control or who are just starting out in this wonderful hobby.

To the people who have rundown the design and pricing of ZTC in the past we say "25 years  and still working well"! We hope that you will judge the 611 on the facts and NOT on hearsay. The price of the 611 and the 505 / 511 upgrade is as low as it can be, and is great value in todays market.  Built in the Westcountry to aerospace standards. We ask you to come and see the 611 and meet us, Pat and Graham of Taunton Controls Ltd.

• Like 4

As the 5th owner of ZTC Controls we would like to confirm that the new 611 controller will be on show at the NEC this month. Many of you have asked for various updates to the 511, well, we have included all your requests in the upgrade.

We, the new owners, will be pleased to show you the product range of ZTC plus other equipment that may be of interest to Modellers.

The new name is Taunton Controls Ltd  from Taunton in Somerset. We are the only UK based DCC manufacturer and offer a telephone helpline on 01823 327155 from 9am to 9pm 6 days a week, NOT Wednesday's. This helpline is to help anyone who needs clear and simple advice on matters DCC or DC control or who are just starting out in this wonderful hobby.

To the people who have rundown the design and pricing of ZTC in the past we say "25 years  and still working well"! We hope that you will judge the 611 on the facts and NOT on hearsay. The price of the 611 and the 505 / 511 upgrade is as low as it can be, and is great value in todays market.  Built in the Westcountry to aerospace standards. We ask you to come and see the 611 and meet us, Pat and Graham of Taunton Controls Ltd.

Hi,

It is rather interesting that the Taunton Controls website clearly states that when an upgrade is done the original board is retained as a part covering of the costs.

This very clearly indicates that the old board has some value to TCL.

I wonder exactly what value it has to them - could it be to make up 505 or 511 controllers to sell as 'refurbished' units at a lower price in the hope that purchasers will then pay for an upgrade to a 611 - almost certainly at a greater overall cost at the end of the day but allowing vuyers to spread the cost to a degree.

Not a suggestion at all, only a qhestion and a thought.

I've used DCC one way or another since Zero 1 and Airfix MTC.

Will I be buying a 611?.

Not on you nelly I wont - or anything else from whatever incarnation of ZTC exists when I want more equipment.

Me, I'll stay with Digitrax.

Regards

Edited by TheWeatheringMan