Liveries

The more research I do, the more confused I become. So maybe someone out there can help clear my muddled mind.

Two questions:

1. When was the very first blue-grey livery carriage seen on the BR Western Region?

The reason I ask is that I have both books and DVDs, in full colour, showing rakes of WR main-line Mk I carriages in which one or two appear to be blue-grey. Some of them are actually hauled by Castles, but the dates given in the books state quite clearly that the pix were taken in 1963. Trouble is, I was always under the impression that blue-grey didn't come in until at least two years later, and I've not been able to confirm on the internet whether there would have been blue-greys operating out of Paddington that early.

2. When were the first Class 31s (Brush Type 2) introduced on the Western Region?

My points of reference say that they were used on the WR, but don't say when they first started there.

A couple of years ago I set myself the task of finding out as much as I could about the Western Region in the mid-1960's (an era that pre-dated my interest in railways, and a georgraphical area at the opposite area of the country from where I hail from). The intention was to find out enough to be able build a reasonably accurate and generic WR model railway. However, the more I look into it, the more obsessed I've become with being historicially accurate. I need help (or so my wife says!!!).

RR

You are correct with regard to the introduction of the blue/grey livery (1965). The last Castle was withdrawn at the end of this year, so it might have just been just possible to find a blue/grey coach behind one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_corporate_liveries

AFAIK the class 31s were drafted to the WR as replacements for the Hymeks etc., but I am not certain on this.

I'm just wondering if the 1963 dated pics were in colour or monochrome. If the latter, is it possible the coaches were some of the last crimson and cream or chocolate and cream vehicles? If in colour, is it possible the photo was dated wrongly?

I have noticed a few photos that appear in different publications that have different dates attributed to exactly the same photo so it is not always possible to rely on the published dates.

• RMweb Gold

I can remember Clun Castle with a rake of blue/grey coaches at Snow Hill but that was after it was officially withdrawn and running in private ownership. IIRC it was the Talyllyn special in September 1966.

Talyllyn special leaving Snow Hill behind 7029, 24/9/1966, with blue/grey stock

post-9767-0-70384600-1365422890.jpg

Photograph C E Steele

• RMweb Premium

I agree with SRman - by 1963 the choc/cream sets reserved for the principal WR expresses had been largely disbanded and individual coaches were finding their way into otherwise maroon sets. Also one or two carmine/cream coaches could still (just) be seen in service.

In '63 the first of the MK2s appeared, IIRC these were all FKs and were turned out in both maroon and BR/SR green (as per the Bachmann models). I'm fairly sure that the first Mk1s repainted in blue/grey appeared in 1965 and were catering vehicles intended for use with Mk2 sets. Some of these coaches had white lettering in the old block capital style ie not the usual BR font. 

Archived