Couple of questions....

And to question 1, I doubt it very much.  From new, Mk2A's would have been mounted on B4 bogies with friction dampers and 3' (12mm in OO gauge) wheels, most likely with a solid disk centre.  The wheel-sets at least would have been changed several times during a vehicles working life, but none would have needed a heavy weight bogie.  Anything could have happened in preservation though...

Alun

...but none would have needed a heavy weight bogie.

Tell a lie, E14065 (a Mk2A BFK) was fitted with an ETH generator in the brake van circa 1968-1971.  The only picture I have is in BR Mark 2 Coaches by Micheal Harris, taken in 1968 and it's the leading vehicle in a Class 47 hauled Kings X - Newcastle working.  Unfortunately, it's difficult to see the detail.

Going by what was needed when Mk2B's and C's were similarly converted for use in Ireland or on The Royal Train, the added weight of the generator may well have required a B5 bogie at the brake end or possibly at both ends.

Alun

...2. What is the best way of attaching metal to plastic, or vice versa?...

As above, impact adhesive - my choice usually the ozone layer destroying version of Evostick - is what I usually use. But:

attaching an etched nameplate or similar, varnish;

ballast weight that needs to be readily removeable, double sided tape;

small area of contact or waxy plastic, Araldite (24hr type);

small metal detail into plastic body, melt in (often into guide hole).

Archived