Crediton (ex LSWR) station colours in the 80s

TomJ

As the title says really!

I am building an N gauge model based on Crediton (on the Exeter to Barnstaple line), set in the mid 80s. I am having a little difficulty working out what the colour scheme was, especially for all the timber buildings such as the waiting shelters. I have loads of photos - thanks to many people on here - but many are black and white or hard to make out the colours especially under the grime.

It was originally part of the LSWR network but later came under the influence of the WR. By the 80s the chocolate and cream had seemed to disappear but I'm not sure what replaced it. Any suggestions gratefully recieved. Links to Railmatch or Precision Paints colours even better!!

Of course now its been done up in ex-LSWR Salmon pink and looks superb, but a bit too smart for the run down 80s look I aiming for.

Many thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

I made one visit in 1983, I posted a couple of pictures on the Creedyford thread but here are 2 more from my Flickr site,

I was guilty of taking the train not the station but I have cropped them into the station buildings a little.

post-7081-0-54934400-1365441199.jpg

Class 118 set P462 calls on the 09.00 Exeter St Davids - Barnstaple, 31/10/83

post-7081-0-35576800-1365441237_thumb.jpg

P462 again, returning later on a Barnstaple - Exeter working, 31/10/83

cheers

Thanks - thats a couple of really useful pictures. I've enjoyed your flickr site btw. Also gives a hint of tjhe hills behind the station which give it that Devon look

Looks like a sort of greenish cream colour. Anyone anymore specific???? I can probably get away with a rough match and a lot of weathering! The colour schemes for the pre-nationalisation era and the early steam/diesel era seem much more defined than those later on

The box and waiting shelters where painted grey, somewhat darker at first fading to a lighter shade with a hint of brown. Window frames where white and doors a mid blue fading to a lighter shade. Will try and look up some photos later showing how the colours changed over time.

Hi Tom,

a couple of shots showing how the colour weathered over time at Crediton even allowing for the differences in light. The top shot was taken in about 1978 when the box was fairly freshly painted and the lower shot would have been taken no earlier than 1983. Hope they are of some use and show how you cannot be to pedantic about the exact shade of paint.

post-14048-0-79879400-1366058757_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-56600100-1366058780_thumb.jpg

David

I have a feeling your later shot was taken when I was with you as the lighting etc. is just about the same and I am sure your were there when I took mine.

Ian

Could well be, once Neil Geeson (picking up the token) took on in the box I went to Abergavenny which would have been some time in 83 but often came back to Devon when I had time off. 

Archived