Problems with VEP motor bogie

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have purchased two Hornby 4VEP motor bogies to power two kits I have just built. I understood these to be complete units, however when I place them on the track they do not run? So do they need wiring in any way?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ryan

Guest oldlugger

Hello Ryan,

They are self contained and don't need extra wiring to run. The only wiring would be to connect them to the trailing bogie, if used. Check the four wiper electrical contacts behind the wheels to make sure they are touching the wheel rim rears. The motor is a five pole semi can motor and shouldn't need any maintenance. Do a flying leads test on the wires coming out of the motor housing and see if the motor is running OK.

Cheers

Simon

They are brand new but I tested them anyway - all is fine. All the metal contacts are touching the wheels.

I have had a closer look and it appears there are no connections from the pickups to the motor, I will try soldering some wires from the metal pickup plates to the flying leads and see if I have any success.

Thanks,
Ryan

They are self contained and don't need extra wiring to run. The only wiring would be to connect them to the trailing bogie, if used.

I'd be very surprised if Hornby supplied them that way as they would need rewiring if they were to be used as replacement parts. The pickups and the motor terminals are not directly connected but go via an external circuit board incorporating a DCC socket which is not supplied with the bogies (confirmed by looking a the service sheet here (http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/service-sheets/Hornby-service-sheets-351-400/)).

The leads coming out of the motor housing are from the pickups and don't go to the motor terminals and you have to make that connection yourself.

Guest oldlugger

It's a much newer style motor than that Gray. It is a small can motor, from Hornby assembly diagrams that I've seen.

Guest oldlugger

I'd be very surprised if Hornby supplied them that way as they would need rewiring if they were to be used as replacement parts. The pickups and the motor terminals are not directly connected but go via an external circuit board incorporating a DCC socket which is not supplied with the bogies (confirmed by looking a the service sheet here (http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/service-sheets/Hornby-service-sheets-351-400/)).

The leads coming out of the motor housing are from the pickups and don't go to the motor terminals and you have to make that connection yourself.

Well mine was self contained and worked without any connection to a trailing bogie

oldlugger, on 10 Apr 2013 - 16:30, said:

Well mine was self contained and worked without any connection to a trailing bogie

The leading question is how was it sourced as it might have been modified betwixt Hornby and yourself depending upon the supply chain? Such a motor bogie as you received would not work at all well as a straight spare substitution for the a DCC fitted 4VEP.

I  dont  think  they are  self  contained!

If they are  4-VEP  power  units  then  as  the  4-VEP  is  either  digtal  ready or digital fitted  when purchased, the power collected  from the 4 wheels  HAS to be routed  first  to  the DCC Decoder socket  from there  it is re-routed BACK the motor's power input connections.

To make  yours  work identify the 2  connections  from the  track  and  the  2 connections to  the  motor  then  solder a connection between them ( this is assuming  you  are only going to use  them  Analogueically (is that a  real word!!  I mean DC only! 

Ok so I have soldered some wires from the pick up plates to the flying leads - it works :locomotive: but due to the traction tyres the pick up is quite poor, so I will solder some more wires to the other bogie for a better connection to the track

post-18977-0-86384700-1365610385_thumb.jpg

Archived