2mm scale Vintage Wagons.

I've sold 70 of these little beasts now. Many thanks to everyone who has bought some.

Thank you for putting in the effort in getting them uploaded. I've just put in a small order in for a couple of the MR wagons.

LB&SCR Stroudley era Open type A, Variant with lower rounded ends, only one plank higher than the sides, now uploaded to shapeways.

Only just discovered a decent end shot of one of these, or I would have had it up in time to catch the free postage offer!

Cheers,

Eddie. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Three different types of SER coal wagon now uploaded to Shapeways:

1) 1864 coal wagon, these were fairly long lived, the last one being withdrawn from traffic in 1935. SR diagram 1328. Also EKR, one example lasting until nationalisation.

2) Dumb buffered version of above, built between 1876 and 1879. Withdrawal dates unknown but probably before WW1.

Both these wagons having a wheelbase of 8ft 6 inches should suit Association underfame No. 2-326. Which may need to be trimmed to fit as these wagons are very short.  

3) 1889 coal wagon, essentially an enlarged version of the 1864 wagon, with various detail differences, last one withdrawn from traffic in 1938. SR diagram 1334. Also EKR.

This wagon having an unusual wheelbase of 9ft 4 inches will need to use separate etched W irons (2-312).

Information, drawings and photographs in the OPC books: Southern Wagons Vol.3 SECR, and Vol.5 Southern Wagons Pictorial.

All of these wagons it seems would also have been used for general merchandise by the time of the formation of the SECR, and in fact were reclassified as open goods by the SR.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Edited by edubs
  • Like 1

Most of the items ordered during the free postage offer have now been shipped, bar a couple of wagons, but I don't think that particular guy uses this forum anyway.

Please let me know how you get on with those, any issues or feedback.

Cheers,

Eddie. 

Likewise big box from shapeways delivered today - also a small packet from Shop-2 with all the other bits and pieces required. Unfortunately too busy over the next few days so can't do anything with them until next week. Still they look good - many thanks.

Edited by Adrian
  • Like 1

Thanks Adrian. I look forward to seeing how you get on with those.

Now uploaded to shapeways:

GNR 9 ton 4 plank open wagon.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JQNRSSM8P/2mmfs-gnr-4-plank-open-1875?key=850e531a40351b5ff0a5a6c098762987

Introduced in 1875, nearly 12000 inherited by the LNER. about 30 lasted until nationalisation.

Some good information, including some not in the Tatlow books, here:

https://basilicafields.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/great-northern-wagons-pt-1-the-9t-4-plank-open/

As usual I don't have all the answers regarding underframe / buffers etc., but 2mm scale Association etched underframe No. 2-328 ought to provide a starting point.

Some related types to follow.

Cheers,

Eddie.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Three different types of SER coal wagon now uploaded to Shapeways:

1) 1864 coal wagon, these were fairly long lived, the last one being withdrawn from traffic in 1935. SR diagram 1328. Also EKR, one example lasting until nationalisation.

2) Dumb buffered version of above, built between 1876 and 1879. Withdrawal dates unknown but probably before WW1.

Both these wagons having a wheelbase of 8ft 6 inches should suit Association underfame No. 2-326. Which may need to be trimmed to fit as these wagons are very short.  

3) 1889 coal wagon, essentially an enlarged version of the 1864 wagon, with various detail differences, last one withdrawn from traffic in 1938. SR diagram 1334. Also EKR.

This wagon having an unusual wheelbase of 9ft 4 inches will need to use separate etched W irons (2-312).

Information, drawings and photographs in the OPC books: Southern Wagons Vol.3 SECR, and Vol.5 Southern Wagons Pictorial.

All of these wagons it seems would also have been used for general merchandise by the time of the formation of the SECR, and in fact were reclassified as open goods by the SR.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Would you be interested in doing these in 4mm scale?

Hello Guy.

I don't see why not. I'd need to do some work to them, make the sides, ends and floor thinner, and they would have to be at the back of a queue, and probably be slightly expensive.

If you can live with that I'll put it on my "to do" list.

Cheers,

Eddie. 

Hi Eddie, delay is no problem, as my alternative is scratchbuilding, so extremely slow. Price might be an issue. Up to £15 a body they'd be attractive; above £25 I'd probably prefer to build from scratch.

I suspect Shapeways' volume-based pricing is going to be awkward here. Printing bodies as a kit might be a way round that. I may upload some dummy models to see what prices come out.

BTW, I have CADs for the SER 3-ribbed buffers in 4mm scale. If anybody is interested, I could do a 2mm-scale version.

Cheers,

Guy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

post-2980-0-55211800-1449579635.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KYUGYSKJ8/2mmfs-10t-dumb-buffered-po-coal-metrop-rc-w

New wagon just uploaded to Shapeways, a 10 ton, 4 plank, dumb buffered private owner coal wagon to a Metropolitan RC&W design.

I don't have exact dates for this type, but I believe it should be suitable from the 1870s until about WW1.

Some of the second hand wagons purchased by the SE&CR in 1900-02 for use as loco coal wagons would have been of this type.

Suggested underframe 2mm Assoc. part No. 2-327

Cheers,

Eddie.

Edited by edubs
  • Like 2

post-2980-0-99810600-1449751161.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FH9ZKJ7JY/2mmfs-10t-dumb-buffered-po-coal-brcw?li=user-profile&optionId=58616349

Another dumb buffered PO coal wagon uploaded to Shapeways today, A 10 ton BRCW 6 plank design.

Again, precise dates unknown (by me) but I believe this type would also have been in service from the 1870s until about the time of the First World War.

This type would also have been among those purchased second hand by the SE&CR for use as loco coal wagons in 1900-1902.

Suggested underframe 2mm Assoc. No. 2-327.

If anyone can help with more information on these wagons, in particular any private owner liveries that they would have carried, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Eddie.

post-2980-0-99810600-1449751161.jpg

Edited by edubs
  • Like 1