Railpace magazine

lmsforever

The other current paper monthly US model railroad magazine is Railroad Model Craftsman, which seems to be going through difficult times. Issues are a couple of months behind in the cover date, especially following the death of Harold Carstens, its publisher, a few years ago. One good decision they seem to have made recently has been to plan for the retirement of the editor, Bill Schaumburg, who seems to be behind some portion of this tardiness, including late payments to authors. However, I've also heard not-good things about Henry Carstens, Carstens's son, who took over as publisher. In contrast  to the gradual improvement in Model Railroader since Neil Besougloff became editor there, RMC seems to be losing its way, with multi-part articles on wooden harbor lighters and such, that are of only marginal interest to most people.

The Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette is a good-quality bimonthly that specializes in its title, along with "craftsman" structures, which are something of a sub-hobby; the main concern I have is that the editor, Bob Brown, and many of the main authors, like Mallory Hope Ferrell and Jim Vail, are octogenarians, with few people in the upcoming cohorts to keep things going. In recent years it has also tended to favor cutsey-pie On30. There are a couple of specialty mags in N, S, and O scales, and Model Railroad News, which mostly publishes just reviews and press releases. There is also a Canada-specific mag, Canadian Model Railroad Magazine. There are also a couple of very small circulation narrow gauge mags, too, plus the publications of the technical and historical societies.

The other current paper monthly US model railroad magazine is Railroad Model Craftsman, which seems to be going through difficult times. Issues are a couple of months behind in the cover date. 

I haven't really noticed that, the Magazine is about 1 month behind the "Magazine industry" standard as it's cover month usually matches the Calender month.

RMC seems to be losing its way, with multi-part articles on wooden harbor lighters and such, that are of only marginal interest to most people.

RMC always went in for the craftsman stuff (hence the name), but I agree the harbor lighter was kind of a odd-diversion on their part.

BTW, Peter, did you mean to post this link to Model Railroad Hobbyist?

And for some blasts from the past, Trainlife Index - issues from out-of-print Model Railroad magazines, including issues that I purchased at the Hobby Shop in the 1990s and early 2000s, like Railmodel Journal and Model Railroading - the 1990s were the peak of the MRR Magazine industry IMO - and then...

Archived