The best online retailers?

RailNut101

As a returnee to the world of railway modelling, I'm aware that I'll now be buying the vast majority of my items via the internet.

Who are considered the best businesses to buy from, in terms of price, choice, speed of shipping, customer service, etc?

Who would win the 'Oscar', or the 'BAFTA'?

Flicking through various magazines, I've found businesses such as...Hattons...Cheltenham Model Centre...The Signal Box...Model Railways Direct...Rails of Sheffield...

...all with big multi page spreads.

...but who is considered the best? Who would get 10/10...and who would get 0/10?

How do they compare and who is worth spending your money with!?

• RMweb Gold

Don't expect a definitive answer. All those in your list get honourable mentions from time to time, and many members have a fave shop they prefer. Others allow themselves to be led by price on the day. Either strategy may get the goods you want - if the manufacturer has made enough of them to go round. Even making a reservation months in advance doesn't always result in a delivery, so people are finding recently.

As a returnee to the world of railway modelling, I'm aware that I'll now be buying the vast majority of my items via the internet.

Who are considered the best businesses to buy from, in terms of price, choice, speed of shipping, customer service, etc?

Who would win the 'Oscar', or the 'BAFTA'?

First, I don't particularly believe the 'Oscar', or the 'BAFTA' type of awards are particularly good indicators of their genre. They are too influenced by being media driven - too many "insiders with motives".

So my same feelings would be applied to any list of "model retailers".

Just because those listed can afford bulk buy and big multi-page adverts in the glossy mags doesn't mean they are the "best" (however you have personally defined the word) If you have a local model shop, seek it out. Many can match on price, and beat on service, especially pre and after sales. There are also some bargains to be had in the second hand market or at exhibitions.

I think at one time or another I have used all of those listed and can't remember anything bad of them (which is probably all that matters) but I cannot put them in any order of merit either, and that certainly applies to many on that list that you have not mentioned - some of which have proprietors that are members of RMWeb.

Most delivery quickly, long gone are the upto 28 day deliveries of old. Others to consider include Kernow, Gaugemaster, Holt, Hereford, Antics and Modelzone. Make a list, spreadsheet is useful, of what you want and total up the prices, including P&P from each supplier, its surprising how often the dearer one can be the cheapest across the whole order or split it into two or more to get the best deals without paying more than is neccesary. Look out for special offers like Modelzone having a 20% off offer with free postage which can make some stuff cheapest there and bear in mind some items are only available from certain suppliers. What is actually in stock can be difficult to judge on some websites - Antics, Gaugemaster, Modelzone, MRD, Hattons and Kernow appear pretty reliable.

i myself am planning a return after 15 years. bought a lot of stock recently but not laid any track yet. my advice is to go into your local model shop. quite a few of them will price match Hatton's, and have the odd bargain themselves that Hatton's don't. 

don't get me wrong, I have bought a few things off Hatton's and been very happy, but they will sell their items whether you buy them or not. your local model shop will probably need the business more and as i see them close around me i feel it's a shame that soon you may not be able to walk into a model shop and speak to the owner and get advice. 

Archived