Building plans

Would I need a special program for making plans on my pc? I want to be able to print off some plans to place over foamboard prior to cutting out doors and windows etc.

I have never done this before and have no idea where to start.

Any info would be much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

A graphic design or CAD program (CAD is easier) will do what you want, all you then need is a printer to print them out. I use this approach all the time. Hold the plans on with tape and be prepared to ad more tape as you cut.

• RMweb Premium

A quick google for CAD will give you what you need. Have a look at the pages on here about 3d printing and etching and you will get a better idea as to what works and what doesn't. 

Prices range from free to thousands of pounds. In vast majority of instances you would have no need for the extras offered by the more expensive programs and where these might be handy there is normally a way round it, sometimes this is slow and complex however.

Try downloading Google Sketchup, it's free. Plans are drawn to full size measurements, in either 2D or 3D. These can be screen saved to format of choice, re-sized to suit and printed out.

For example.

A incomplete 4-CIG in 2D

P.S. I'm still learning..... I.e. Makin' misakes

post-7009-0-84693500-1365948164_thumb.png

I just use the rather crude facilities in Word, simply because I can do this when I'm staying away with the company laptop which I can't install my own software on.  I print onto A4 size sticky labels - if you plan to do this check beforehand that you can remove glue residues from the foamboard! 

Hi,

Thanks to all you guy's for replying with some great suggestions, a guy who replied to my post said he used a program called Idraw but it's only for the Mac, does anyone know of a similar program for pc?

Thanks in advance.

Guest 40-something

Im going to try SketchUp for the next couple of buildings Im planning, the one I've done so far just using pen and paper (and bodgery) has turned out ok but could have been better.  Thanks goodness for weathering...

The first thing I'll try though is printing out window frames for eventual printing onto acetate.

Archived