Genesis GP38-2 and a odd GP9

stock_2007

Hi has anyone looked at the Genesis GP38-2. I've been looking at a CN GP38-3W it looks really good on the MJ site but has anyone been 'hands on' as it were?

Sorry if its already been talked about

While I was looking for the 38 on different trader web sites I found a State-side trader selling Genesis GP9's at a fair price,

a  B&M loco caught my eye number 1750 but on the roster 1750 is a GP18 having never seen the box the loco came in I don't know if its right or a type-o?

I've recently taken delivery of an SP example, possibly the best detailed American loco I have, the sound is good too.

(It sounds like a bag of spanners, but its a good rendition of a bag of spanners)

I'll try and post some pictures later tonight when I get home

Mike

I had a chance to see a friend's SP version yesterday - very, very nice.  For a real treat check out all the body shell molding variations shown in the manual!

I still wish they could find a way of doing more durable handrails, though.  They look great but are difficult to keep that way long term.

I agree about the handrails I only had to look at them on my SD70 Ace and they would break it spoil's a really good loco

I had a chance to see a friend's SP version yesterday - very, very nice.  For a real treat check out all the body shell molding variations shown in the manual!

I still wish they could find a way of doing more durable handrails, though.  They look great but are difficult to keep that way long term.

Here are a few pictures, apologies for the poor quality in places, they were taken in a hurry on my phone.

The only alteration I have made has been fitting Kadees

post-6837-0-92857400-1366059772.jpg

post-6837-0-01592500-1366059787.jpg

post-6837-0-94867800-1366059798.jpg

post-6837-0-17577200-1366059811.jpg

post-6837-0-95156800-1366059850_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-85588800-1366059864.jpg

Hope these are some use

Mike

The only thing that could have made it more 'clever' IMHO is if the Mars light worked, although that would be a bit much to ask since its a bit SP specific, I'm sure its been done by someone though.

I may have my terminology a bit mixed up, I was under the impression that the red light in each cluster was the mars light.

Two of the lights at each end can be made to 'oscillate' like in Brian's video above.

Cheers

Mike

The red light went on when the emergency brakes were applied. It could oscillate or not. A similar red light was also used on the rear of passenger trains, but it was often lit all the time, not just for emergency applications.

While I was looking for the 38 on different trader web sites I found a State-side trader selling Genesis GP9's at a fair price,

a  B&M loco caught my eye number 1750 but on the roster 1750 is a GP18 having never seen the box the loco came in I don't know if its right or a type-o?

The B&M GP-9's were high nose, the GP-18's were low nose, IIRC.  Does that help identify the model?

While I was looking for the 38 on different trader web sites I found a State-side trader selling Genesis GP9's at a fair price, a  B&M loco caught my eye number 1750 but on the roster 1750 is a GP18 having never seen the box the loco came in I don't know if its right or a type-o?

The Athearn website only shows Genesis B&M GP-9s numbered 1706, 1724, 1745 and 1749. I think 1750 is a typo. (Coincidentally, GP-9s were 1750HP - possible cause of the typo?)

Archived