Trackside Fencing in Goods Yard?

dseagull

Would there have been (50's/60's), generally, be trackside fencing or some kind of barrier in a yard, specifically on a road leading to a loading bank?

That possibly reads as quite vague, so attached is a photo (excuse the badly shopped in sky, but it's more interesting than cardboard/the kitchen wall ;) )

post-723-0-73390700-1366060865.jpg

There is a faint line from approx the level crossing gate post to the fence nearest the camera - on the camera side of this is a road, with a factory on the other side. The rest is the yard (which will eventually gain a gate!), running up to a loading bank. Specifically, would the part of this (yard) road from the level crossing gate post to approx the start of the loading bank (where you can see a feed to track which I haven't hidden yet), have a fence?

As you can see from above, I've dropped in a barrow crossing, which I'm thinking should probably be fenced and gated, but I'm not sure if a fence running much further would be 'right'.

Cheers in advance.

Specifically, would the part of this (yard) road from the level crossing gate post to approx the start of the loading bank (where you can see a feed to track which I haven't hidden yet), have a fence?

That will depend whether it is 'public property' or 'railway property'. There would be fencing/gate at the interface between the two. If the public property extends to the bottom of the loading bank, there would be a fence between that property and the railway.

Barrow crossings accessible to non-railway pedestrians would be gated.

Archived