If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

New member from Sherwood Forest

Fordson

I visited the model railway show in Mansfield at the beginning of last month and became impressed by "Moxley Heath" in O Gauge.

I only visited the exhibition whilst SHMBO was shopping so time was short, I wish I had more time to examine the layout.

Last time I did anything that could remotely be called railway modelling was almost 45 years ago but this little layout has inspire me to have another go.

An internet search for more information on  "Moxley Heath" has lead me here

As a schoolboy modelling in O gauge was out of my reach, there was next to noting available then and what was availbale was out of my price range.

Now I can have a go and see what I can do, just got to find the time around my other interests,

Ian,

Yes I recall your layout but it was the smalsize of Moxley heath which made me realise I could possibly build an O gauage layout after all.

All those years ago it always appeared to be too large although I do revall a layout plan in a magazine for a teminus on a corner in a space of arounf 10 feet by six feet.

I now need to consider how to proceed and I have been looking at Carl Arendt's site of micro layouts for inspiration.

At the moment inspiration is coming from Jim Reads various posts who shoes tha things need not be complicated or expensive.

Hi Fordson

.................That will be a standard I presume !   Welcome to RM web,  right friendly bunch of people on here

and if you want to know anything you only gotta ask.

It's not O gauge but if it's inspiration you want then  please take a look at this

Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction) - Layout topics - RMweb - Page 8

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Hello and Welcome Fordson,

You’ve now opened the box and have seen the wealth of opportunities available to modelling O gauge in a small space.

RMweb can inspire and help you on your journey into the (small!) world of model railways.

If you can not find anything you need here, (with a simple search), then just ask.

Enjoy your stay here,

Kev.

(PS. We like photo’s!)

engage / John

You are quite right that is 'Standard'

Sorry but your link does not inspire me.

'N' gauge is too small for me now.

I have had enough of watchmaking, just try dismantleing and servicing a ldies 6 3/4 ligne wrist watch, they are tiny.

Hence why I am looking at O Gauge.

Regards chris

Thank you all for your welcome.

I think I will like it here.

Today I have made the big leap and purchased a couple of Slaters wagon kits and a point kit from Markway

So now I can start to begin to start in O guage.

I have had a few ideas for layouts but need to curb the size a little, I keep getting carried away.

I had thought of scratch building every thing but decided I need something a little more instant to sustain the interest at the moment.

I still keeplookig back at Moxley Heath and what can be made form card.

Regards Chris

Hi Fordson and welcome,

Proper prior planning prevents p*ss poor performance - the 7 P's of good project management and apt for you if you are going with 7mm scale.

It has taken me almost 18 months of plundering ideas and inspiration from this site to settle on a layout design but I have used two railway track programs to get to the final detail. These are XTrakCAD and AnyRail. Both have their own foibles and benefits but overall AnyRail suits me better. If you have a simple layout, you can use AnyRail's free version for up to 50 track sections. Templot is good for those wanting to build their own track - just a bit too far for me - and Martin Wynne will always help users of that package.

If you aren't happy with computers and want help on this, there are some very clever and friendly types on here who will probably be willing and able to help. Just sketch what you want and the dimensions you are limited to (you say 10' x 6' and I guess L-shaped?) and post it. If you want to be prototypical, some will even help with your signalling.

As post 8 says, its a friendly lot on here! Good luck.

Gruffalo

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.  As I am now getting a bit long in the tooth 2mm modeling is a bit small for me as well   (sans eyes sans teeth etc)

but since I have been with it for about 35 years I will stick it out now.....   Each to his/her own.

How about the suggestion from Gruffalo above ?  I'm telling you Chris,   you can't go wrong on here.    Good luck with the planning and please

keep us informed of your progress.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Today I have made the big leap and purchased a couple of Slaters wagon kits and a point kit from Markway

Sensible first move. I too started with a point kit then progressed to making all the track from scratch using Marcway components. Not done a Slaters wagon but am doing one of their 4 wheel coaches at the moment.

Give us a shout if you need any help, I take it from your comments you are local?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I've not posted for the last few weeks becuse I've been away with work and then holiday with SHMBO.

I had a closer look at one of my Slaters kist this evening, a Midland Railway 8 Ton Box Van, and found the springs for the couplings missing

I will give Slaters a call tommorrow to see if they will send a spare. 

I've still not actually started building anything yet, I just keep looking at them and trying yo work out the best way to proceed.

• 1 month later...

Where do I go now?

I have ordered a Hudswell Clark from Dragon models which should arrive on Wednesday, I've got 2 Slaters wagon kits and a Markway point kit.

Slaters replaced the missing springs in the Midland Railway 8 ton  Box Van kit by return of post,

Thanks to Laura at Slaters.

I am now considering a "Micro" layout so that I can set it up in the study to "play" with, but what size dhould I limit myself to?

• RMweb Gold

I am now considering a "Micro" layout so that I can set it up in the study to "play" with, but what size dhould I limit myself to?

Normal practice is to make it just too large for the space available...

• 2 weeks later...

The Hudswell has arrived and what a cracking engine it is,

I had a business appointment in Suffolk last week and finishing early made a quick visit to the Mid Suffolk Light Railway.

Although the railway was closed I met a volunteer and was able to wonder around and take photographs, to find that they have not one Hudswell Clarke but two!

The first I saw was number 1700 of 1938, which I understand is named  Wissington but it carries no name plates, and is on loan from the North Norfolk Railway.

The second is number 1604 which is presently dismantled in the workshops under restoration, I believe this came from the Nene Valley Railway.

The MSLR station layout at Brockford is also small & compact ideal for a light railway so I think a layout idea is beginning to form.

Archived