Photos of Clayton Station on the Queensbury Line....

Chris-GNR

Hello

I'm very new to using this forum so please forgive any errors i may make.

I'm involved with a project modelling Clayton Station that was part of the GNR/LNER Queensbury line in Bradford.

The era we are modelling is early 20s to late 30s.

Were having great difficulty finding photos of any era of the station & goods yard at Clayton & also research photos

for rolling stock Passenger & freight in the area.

There is a hand full of photos online & in a couple of books that we have & are aware of, so this is a plea to anyone who could guide us in the direction of any more photos or even has any in a private collection they would be happy to post on hear for us to refer to. 

Any help would be greatly received & of great use.

Kind regards

Chris.

Great Northern Railway 2 chain survey dated 1894 at the National Archives under reference RAIL236/473. This will give you ground plans of all the structures and their use, in addition to the track plan. Model Railways magazine for April 1975 is noted as having a track plan.

The Great Northern Railway Society lists:

P/09/2452 6th September 1953 Clayton 0-6-2T No. 69430 on an SLS special

P/09/2456 June 1950 Clayton West portal of tunnel

Not a very well photographed bit of railway!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I'm very new to using this forum so please forgive any errors i may make.

I'm involved with a project modelling Clayton Station that was part of the GNR/LNER Queensbury line in Bradford.

The era we are modelling is early 20s to late 30s.

Were having great difficulty finding photos of any era of the station & goods yard at Clayton & also research photos

for rolling stock Passenger & freight in the area.

There is a hand full of photos online & in a couple of books that we have & are aware of, so this is a plea to anyone who could guide us in the direction of any more photos or even has any in a private collection they would be happy to post on hear for us to refer to. 

Any help would be greatly received & of great use.

Kind regards

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Just noticed this. I am loosely modelling Great Horton station also on the line, which although much more photographed has a similar dearth of information. One area of research I did recently explore was the new Bradford Photo Archive (based at the Industrial Museum). The archive is largely based around the aerial photographs of C H Wood and covers many areas of Bradford. Wood operated from the 30s to the 70s. Note that the website only has a small selection of the photos as scanning is undertaken on an ad hoc basis as and when someone makes an inquiry.

http://www.bradfordmuseums.org/photolibrary/

01274 435900

There's a bit more info on my blog here: http://ajmodels.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/researching-bradford-photo-library/

I have just five photographs of Clayton station; one showing the signal box and footbridge with a milk tanker to the left (published), one very fuzzy from the side of the signalbox showing an N1 (published), one looking down into the cutting showing the double slip, footbridge and goods shed behind (published), one close-up showing GWR W19W railcar on tests in 1944 (I think this may actually be Queensbury based on the bridge) and finally a panorama looking down from Horton Bank/Clayton Heights from the mid-50s - much of the station is obscurred but the goods yard and embankment to the Bradford side can be seen. I don't think the last one has been published and I can't for the life of me remember where I found it.

PM me if you want any more info.

I'd be most interested in seeing your progress with this project and good luck with it.

edit: additional info added.

Andrew

Many thanks for picking up on my original post. Sounds very interesting what your doing there.

Sadly were aware of all those pics you mentioned but I'm not sure we've see the last one you mentioned.

If/when we have a few photos of our progress I'll start a little bog maybe to keep anyone who may be interested up to date.

Thanks again for the input & I'll try & see if Bradford photo archive might help shed some light on our project.

Chris.

Archived