Polish EE electrics

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

I've just read with interest the thread on UK outline locos overseas. The PKP Eu06's were built by EE, mechanically very similar to BR class 83, with electrical equipment similar to a South African loco supplied by EE (can't remember which type).

I'd love to know how these were delivered. Were they taken by rail to the docks? If so, are there any photos? I have seen a photo of an BRCW Australian diesel loco on test on the Birmingham-Leamington line sometime in the 50's hauling a rake of Mk1's, and I think I've seen photos of either Cuban or African 47's being delivered by rail. I'd love to know if any photos exist of Polish Eu06's being delivered exists.

Can anyone throw any light on this? Eu06's were built 1961/2 ish.

cheers N

They were built under licence from EE, with the loco's being erected under EE supervision, in the main Polish works near Poznan. The first was delivered RTR, from the Vulcan Foundry, in 1961 and all became affectionatly known as 'Angliks' (English). There are still a few in service, having been refurbished - one is running in British 'blue', complete with cast lions on the side (can't locate the number). There are quite a few pictures on 'You Tube', also check the 'Stronja Kolejowa' website www.locomotives.com.pl  for all Polish steam, electric and diesel loco histories.

Tomasz Galka has done a masterful job on this site.

Edited to put website address in.

The latest issue of Lok Report notes that seven EU06 went to PKP Cargo, but that only three (05, 07 and 12) remain in service as of the start of 2013.  EU06-01 went to the Chabowka museum last summer, but I suspect it may be kept at Krakow-Prokociem for specials or exhibitions (as happens with EP03-01)..

Incidentally, English Electric were involved (with Metropolitan Vickers) in the supply of components for PKP's earliest electric locomotives, the pre-war EL.100 and EL.200 classes.

• 3 weeks later...

They were built under licence from EE, with the loco's being erected under EE supervision, in the main Polish works near Poznan. The first was delivered RTR, from the Vulcan Foundry, in 1961 and all became affectionatly known as 'Angliks' (English). There are still a few in service, having been refurbished - one is running in British 'blue', complete with cast lions on the side (can't locate the number). There are quite a few pictures on 'You Tube', also check the 'Stronja Kolejowa' website www.locomotives.com.pl for all Polish steam, electric and diesel loco histories.

Tomasz Galka has done a masterful job on this site.

Edited to put website address in.

Unfortunately the one running in electric blue isn't one of the originals, it is EP07-1051, I think there was a change of change of plan from repainting an EU06 as they are about life expired.

Studying the class there are many many detail differences, so modelling them becomes a proverbial nightmare! I am slowly kit bashing one, which ill put some pics up over on the overseas modelling bit when I get chance.

Regards

Last time I looked, I'm sure the exchange rate took the Tololoco ones to about £500. It's currently around 5 pln/£1.

Dave, if you do begin a thread, please post a link here as I for one would be very interested and am likely to miss it, such is my internet search prowess!

Cheers.

Sean.

When most rocos are £200 mark and I pay about £300 for a RTR Norwegian NMJ electric £500 for a handbuilt model doesnt seem so bad,,,but then again to a UK modeller that would be 4 Bachmann 85's.

Archived