"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Right. I've just had a look at Pempoul on youtube and yes, it's brilliant, really well built, everything, track, loco's, rolling stock, scenery, trees, a masterpiece and every credit to Gordon and Maggie, but - and I just know I'm going to suffer again for saying this - but Tetford takes it for me.

Ouch...

Right. I've just had a look at Pempoul on youtube and yes, it's brilliant, really well built, everything, track, loco's, rolling stock, scenery, trees, a masterpiece and every credit to Gordon and Maggie, but - and I just know I'm going to suffer again for saying this - but Tetford takes it for me.

Ouch...

Allan...I'll slip you that fifty quid later this pm.  Seriously though, that is very, very kind, but I couldn't hold a candle....those guys are ace. You have made my day, though!! :imsohappy: :imsohappy: :danced:

• Like 1

Allan...I'll slip you that fifty quid later this pm.  Seriously though, that is very, very kind, but I couldn't hold a candle....those guys are ace. You have made my day, though!! :imsohappy: :imsohappy: :danced:

Thanks Iain, but will that be like all the other 50 quids you posted for services rendered but never arrived ???!!!

Allan, you know how hard it is for me to earn fifty quid...ever since Cyril nailed my ear to the table for eight pounds a page...can you put it on the slate? I don't hob nob with Dukes and millionaires like you...

Well, here's one guy whose modelmaking fascinates me...it's different, it's British industrial, and will be familiar to MRJ readers. Hywel Thomas, a really nice guy, whose work is full of observation. Here's a scene from "Morfa Bank...it's on my blog as featured modelmaker at: http://iainrobinsonmodels.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Featured%20Modelmaker%3A%20Hywel%20Thomas if you'd like to read more about this virtuoso modeller.

post-18033-0-06221300-1374940048_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Iain

• Like 4

I also need to mention my good mate Geoff Taylor, a fellow pro modelmaker whose work should not need much introduction. Geoff is in high demand, I think he's at the top of his game just now. His own layout, Barmouth junction, is a delight, although I can never get the hang of operating it...but that's just my innate dimness. Here's a sample from one of the layouts he's associated with...Gresley Beat, Dewsbury Midland et al.

post-18033-0-74953200-1374940571.jpg

More examples on his web site here: http://www.gtbuildingsmodels.co.uk/index.html

cheers,

Iain

• Like 3

Geoff Taylor.Yeh, a force to be reckoned with, another true master of the art and while some club layouts fall victim to too many artists trying to paint the same picture, the 'Gresley Beat' certainly wasn't one of them as Geoff's imput helped to make it a sure fire winner and, if it already isn't already, a future classic.

And those city terraces - buildings to die for. then THAT retaining wall, then that....Oh yeh, Geoff Taylor, man of the moment.

Geoff Taylor. Definitely one of my hero's! It was seeing Dewsbury Midland at the Manchester Exhibition with his superb buildings which tempted me away from wargaming and back into railway modelling. One of the best!

Now can anyone explain why I've suddenly developed the strong urge to build a windmill? I think someones been putting something in the water again! Sod it! I'm going to polish me clogs! Wheres the dubbin Ethel?

Regards

Bill :senile:

You know, I look at all these truly magnificent works of art, Diorama's, whole layouts, whatever and wonder how much is pure immagination, how much is prototype inspiration, how much is an impression of something seen, something that is, something that isn't, something that could be.

Well if there was one thing that I really used to dread was a phone call that went " Could you build me... I have all the plans.... all the photographs" or even worse "....a scale model of the line from.....I have done all the research.....it must be an exact...."

As opposed to "Can you build me a station, any station..." and the one that as a model maker, the one I was always waiting for "....and the room is 50 ft square, mainline,city, industrial,country, cottages, anything, do what you like " - and anything as long as it wasn't bxxxdy Ashburton again - or  Tetbury goods shed, a shed, that had I not built anything other in 40 years of pro modelmaking, I could have made a living on just the back of  it alone !

But what had to be the daddy of them all, and I must have been asked if not once, but ten thousand times " Can you build me a lamp hut, how much, how quick ?" Then you do it only to find out that the guy liked it so much that he now wants another ten more like it  !

So, who want's to see a lamp hut ? !!!

Allan.

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

You know, I look at all these truly magnificent works of art, Diorama's, whole layouts, whatever and wonder how much is pure immagination, how much is prototype inspiration, how much is an impression of something seen, something that is, something that isn't, something that could be.

Well if there was one thing that I really used to dread was a phone call that went " Could you build me... I have all the plans.... all the photographs" or even worse "....a scale model of the line from.....I have done all the research.....it must be an exact...."

As opposed to "Can you build me a station, any station..." and the one that as a model maker, the one I was always waiting for "....and the room is 50 ft square, mainline,city, industrial,country, cottages, anything, do what you like " - and anything as long as it wasn't bxxxdy Ashburton again - or  Tetbury goods shed, a shed, that had I not built anything other in 40 years of pro modelmaking, I could have made a living on just the back of  it alone !

But what had to be the daddy of them all, and I must have been asked if not once, but ten thousand times " Can you build me a lamp hut, how much, how quick ?" Then you do it only to find out that the guy liked it so much that he now wants another ten more like it  !

So, who want's to see a lamp hut ? !!!

Allan.

Well me for a start! Lamp huts, fog huts and those little huts that you could never work out what they were used for! I'm sure they'll all be touched by the usual Downes/Robinson magic!

post-14791-0-81375300-1374948616_thumb.jpg

This is one of my favorites and just crying out to be modelled! Sad old git, ain't I?

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 4

Well me for a start! Lamp huts, fog huts and those little huts that you could never work out what they were used for! I'm sure they'll all be touched by the usual magic!

attachicon.gif00082_Corregated Hut.JPG

This is one of my favorites and just crying out to be modelled! Sad old git, ain't I?

Regards

Bill

Yes, I want to see some Lamp hut models, too.  That's a fab hut, Bill! If wanting to model things like this makes you a sad git, then I'm the Lord Mayor of Sadoldgit town!!

Iain

Hi Iain

Some people would think so wouldn't they? To me that humble little hut is as much a part of our heritage as any grand town hall. More so because it reflects the lives of those people who helped build and keep our railways running. It stands just north of Bolton Street Station in Bury. I particularly like the way the last painters chose to use 'blood and custard' rather that the usual plain black or maroon!

Stu

Go for it bud! Thats what my reference pictures are for! Only could you build two please because this ones definitely going to appear on Slitheroe!

Regards to all

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

Geoff Taylor.Yeh, a force to be reckoned with, another true master of the art .....man of the moment.

I had the privilege of viewing Geoff's work magnified by my close-focus binoculars at the Cardiff exhibition earlier this year, and I tell you...what a treat that was!

Even Geoff's own reaction was to say, tongue in cheek "Wow, I am good, aren't I?"

Not even publication standard photographs come anywhere near to equalling the joy of seeing exquisite models close up and in 3D.

Randall

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stu

Go for it bud! Thats what my reference pictures are for! Only could you build two please because this ones definitely going to appear on Slitheroe!

Regards to all

Bill

Ok, 2 it shall be, just not this week !

• Like 1

This an experiment using photo fix on scanned transparancies that I found in the bottom of the sock drawer - don't expect miracles !

attachicon.gifIMG_0002 (2).jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0001.jpgattachicon.gifIMG.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0007.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0008.jpg

On the contrary, seeing beyond the obvious limitations I'll say one thing, you were well ahead of your time with the vegetation! Shades of pre-Chris Nevard in the last one.

Tony.

This an experiment using photo fix on scanned transparancies that I found in the bottom of the sock drawer - don't expect miracles !

attachicon.gifIMG_0002 (2).jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0001.jpgattachicon.gifIMG.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0007.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0008.jpg

These are great, Allan. No doubt Instagram will be producing this effect and naming it "sock drawer filter" or something.   I love the vegetation ...and the photo of the stream coming out of the gated adit is great...more, more!!

cheers,

Iain

Hi Tony, and thanks.

I was thinking about doing a drawing illustrating how the rushes were made which essentially is strips of paper with the fronds cut along it's length - think of canopy valence but a lot more random ! - then cut into about one inch lengths, roll it into a 'crown', glue to hold it there, then take each frond and draw it through your thumb and finger where it will curl as seen in the photograph then just spray each bunch green -Halfords spring green just perfect - then drill a hole into the river bank and plant them close together. 

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

These are great, Allan. No doubt Instagram will be producing this effect and naming it "sock drawer filter" or something.   I love the vegetation ...and the photo of the stream coming out of the gated adit is great...more, more!!

cheers,

Iain

Yes, they all look good to me - though at least two of them have been scanned in from the wrong side! You should be able to reverse it with software though rather than having to re-scan.

Edited by RJS1977

cheers,

Iain

Think you might have seen these before guys, but here goes anyway, the lost art of  "Sock draw filtering" !

Jeeze, but I need therapy...

post-18579-0-81005200-1374955507_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-99024300-1374955522_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-78280700-1374955540_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-81994100-1374955562_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-22499000-1374955582_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Oh, the stream

What I tried to do here was to show algea floating on the surface of the water so, and with the 'water' being stippled PVA, a water based glue, I dusted it over while the glue was still wet with green cellulose which of course will react to water and fan out in all directions - well, while the idea was sound, maybe the application wasn't and it ended up the way you see it in the photo - weird. 

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

Just been checking my photo-processing software and 'sock drawer filter' is nowhere to be found! My complaint e-mail is already on its way! :ireful:

Reet then lads and lasses! Another shout for a favorite modeller of mine in the form of Peter Greaves ( http://www.ilkestonwoodsidemrc.com/ ). A.k.a. Snitzl of rmweb. A former modeller for Britain/Petite with an interesting alternative to stone and brickwork from the usual formboard/daz method. Search in members and click on Blogs for some excellent tutorials.

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

Thanks for that link, Bill. I had encountered Pete's work when I first browsed RMWeb and was mightily impressed. His work is painstaking and very accurate, getting superb results, yet he writes with such an unassuming and modest style. Looks like a proper master craftsman to me. The tutorials are full of interesting tips  and, yes, I have been plundering!

cheers,

Iain