Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

• RMweb Premium

You're very kind, Iain, but I'm far from heroic; ill-tempered and irritable is more the default mode. Just.. its getting embarrassing beyond words to continually post on stuff without a single tiny item to show. I've put up a couple of pics to show that a layout actually exists. There are acres of space, particularly on the stock-free pic where there is about 2' X 12' requiring a city-scape beyond the far tracks. And its been like this for years, literally. OK, you shouldn't bite off more than you can chew, but when I started things weren't anything like as demanding, so I'm stuck. The Bilteezi house backs, to the left of the girder-bridge - a temporary expedient!!! - are falling over they're so tired of standing alone. When I win the lottery I'll be in touch!

Regards,

Tony.

There is at least TEN eastern region pacifics in that second shot and what with the six road shed being empty I recon on there being a few more tucked away somewhere too!

Nice layout configuration Tony. I can imagine the layout in full running mode with short commuter trains  trudging along, a lenghty coal working inching its way in the opposit direction, an express charging between them and a couple of engines shifting about the depot.

Epic stuff!

There is at least TEN eastern region pacifics in that second shot and what with the six road shed being empty I recon on there being a few more tucked away somewhere too!

Nice layout configuration Tony. I can imagine the layout in full running mode with short commuter trains  trudging along, a lenghty coal working inching its way in the opposit direction, an express charging between them and a couple of engines shifting about the depot.

Epic stuff!

Thanks Shaun - Iain. :D

Shaun you just about summed up the layouts reason d'etre. Its designed as a *watch the trains go by, ECML style*, with the shed giving an excuse to change locos, not unlike Leeds Copley Hill. I have some sound locos and you really need a continuous run for them to show their working properties IMHO. As the room is empty above the baseboards (a nightmare below!) there is a very full sound with no absorption, so a chime-whistle is really spooky with a late night echo to it. 

Your Goathland is by far the best I've seen. You really utilise the ready-builts with proper weathering, etc. And the Priory is awesome. You should post your blog pics of it on here! People don't always have the time to dig into everyone's blogs and layouts, and the scratch-built Priory would certainly be enjoyed on this forum

Regards,

Tony..

I know what you mean and you are right of course. But Allan and Iain are very generous and like to see the work of others. If anyone took liberties loading their stuff on day in day out it would be different. But the link is good and you can see them in the context of the blog as a whole :D

Tony.

Are they GEM levers, Allan? I rather fancy them for my martialling yard. Shunting with a *sound-25, I like to play hands-on, sometimes!

Tony.

*25s came along in 1961 which is my up date cut-off period.

Yes Tony, they are, but can you still get them ? - I'll go have a look on the Web...

Cheers.

Allan.

Thanks, Allan,

Its like a dream to me that I'd seen someone using them comparatively recently, but I can't recall where. (No surprise there!)

I've one in my bits box that I've played with using an omega loop and its very positive. I think I'll do it for the freight yard and shed.

Tony.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Allan,

Its like a dream to me that I'd seen someone using them comparatively recently, but I can't recall where. (No surprise there!)

I've one in my bits box that I've played with using an omega loop and its very positive. I think I'll do it for the freight yard and shed.

Tony.

How will you change the frog polarity ? -  I doubt PM was DCC...

How will you change the frog polarity ? -  I doubt PM was DCC...

Stu, (I nearly did the name thing. Its like an online geriatric ward.

I'll let you into a secret so long as you don't tell a soul. The points are insulfrog and I have no trouble at all with modern locomotives. I'm badly arthritic and can't stand mucking about below the baseboard. The bus-wires are 13amp cable, fitted at the start, with four rings on the mainlines and separate feeds for the shed and marshalling yard. The only downside is that you can turn a loco off by switching a point *against it. There are exceptional areas such as the coaling stage, where sound-chipped's steam locos can be in a queue, going through there default standing procedures. Its interesting, they are all different: some coal-up at intervals; some start injectors at set times, and others - particularly the Hornby A4, emits sighs and belly rumblings. Altogether they are quite fun when used all at once; and the coaling and ash lines have their own constant feeds. There are very few points at all on the mainlines. Oh yes, one advantage of the insulfrogs is they seem to short less with metal wheeled stock. But that might be my untutored bias. At the beginning I chose insulfrog as I could foresee the predictable development of Joan's condition, and was desperate to get things up and running while I could. This was five years ago, and - sadly - I was proved right. I just wish I'd started earlier, but I was mucking about with military and fantasy-style dioramas which I'm not too bad at. ;-)

*Yes, it is bad practice to use points as current switches, but its not an exhibition layout and it is trouble free running as far as I'm concerned. ie: only one loco shunts the yard and one the coaler.

It had crossed my mind to change them one at a time, but now I frankly doubt I will. The KISS formula suits me.

Tony

One final observation: the lines from yard and shed throats are quite long. Its not a layout where locos are crossing points frequently. The smooth running up to and over the throat points where they do occur is satisfactory

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 3

Tony, you are now reading electronic advise from the same chap that blows up the National Grid every monday morning.

I too use Insulfrog Points but I hard wire the blades to the stock rails for guaranteed electrical continuity even if the blades aren't making full contact.

However, this means that whole lyout is live - sidings, loops, the lo,t and all it requires is TWO wires from your controller and soldered to ANYWHERE on the main lain - but, you will nead isolating switches in the loops and sidings, but you'll never have point problems again - being ALL rails live, what else can they do ?! - Guranteed hassle free running and to hell with that stupid little inefficient contact nib on all Peco points - self isolating be damned, more like won't effin well' work when you want them too !!

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

I've always though the design of having all tracks live, at all times, where you can select any loco irrespective of where it is, is derailment on a wrongly switched point waiting to happen.

Using dead frogs seems a very wise solution.

Stu

I have used insulfrogs throughout my layout and in fact they are critical to my automated fiddle yard.  The only think I have had to do is add tender pick-ups to many of my locos to ensure smooth running through them.  Having said that I think tender pick-ups are a good idea anyway to improve slow running characteristics.

• Like 2

Me too. Actually, I was trying to recall freebs' name - Lee, is it? - as the senior moments come in thick and fast.

Tony. ( I don't think therefore I'm not.)

Yes, 'tis

I thought about changing my username, but I can't find out how to do it. Freebs is how I'm known on another model railway forum and a non-railway related forum and lnrmodels is what is use for my blog - it's confusing, I know ;)

Tony,

I've always though the design of having all tracks live, at all times, where you can select any loco irrespective of where it is, is derailment on a wrongly switched point waiting to happen.

Using dead frogs seems a very wise solution.

Stu

Thanks Stu,

Exactly my thoughts. When you are operating alone they are a dead-mans' handle. It is all for personal entertainment after all. But to be fair, I've a Bachmann 03 I'm very fond of which defies physics in the way it crawls over deadfrogs in DC, but in DCC mode it stalls every time, which tells you a lot about each system. I don't use it on DCC.

On my railway, pacifics haul long passenger trains and don't shunt. I don't like to see a pacific go over ANY non-straight point, including the Peco SL86/87 curved points my layout is designed around; the tender kicks out and it looks horrible - or it would if most of my pacifics weren't close-coupled so they don't go near anything other than a straight point which they do NOT change track upon anyway. The 6 road shed is a through shed. The unseen end is a flat table traverser for peco loco-lifts which I really do like. So, many of the locos *on shed* go away from the throat and through the shed to join their trains. (Their changeover engines join the coaling and turning queue, then back into the unseen portion of the through-shed)

There isn't room for a huge, multi road fiddle yard (under the window end) so pacifics are changed by cassette as are passenger-train *modifiers* - kitchens, buffets, etc. The two main fast trains are ten Bachmann Mk1s which may or my not include dining but mostly do; also full brakes and other modifiers; this train virtually lives on the fast-up.

The other is a train of mixed Thompson and Gresley stock (both trains are maroon BTW) which is also modified with buffets, etc; this train virtually lives on the fast-down. There are, however, up and down offstage loops that hold a 10 car Pullman, primarily. Theoretically it can go Up or Down but I can't generally be bothered so it lives on the fast Up loop where it changes with the Mk1s as required. (I know - it SHOULD go back, but it bothers me not one iota)

Smaller tender-locos DO use the shed points - B1s, etc, and they travel light engine on the Down-slow till they pass under the bridge that hides the mucking-about and standing-still area, (under the window) where they join a Down train directly, or an Up-slow via cassette.

Playing trains in shunting terms utilises the modestly large (in domestic terms, perhaps) marshalling yard. I don't shunt with the likes of the Bachmann 03 - it is limited in strength, anyway - and I prefer to use one of the class 25s or 37s which would probably pull across your finger if you leave it on the track; they certainly don't notice deadfrogs and they are sound-chipped.

Getting back to passenger stock. I have other coaches for locals and other Slow usage, and a set of crimson and cream alternatives to the above express rakes. Otherwise, I don't want or need anymore. Perfect train carriage compilation is not of any real interest to me.

I'm on a very limited budget. Now that I have my basic stable, I'll probably buy only a couple of significant engines per year. I DO want to sound-chip my Hornby B1s and some others.

While there is a commuter station beside the shed, the express locos only changed at Leeds - in my Copely Hill scenario. I don't have room for Leeds so what is the point of stopping an express passenger-train in open urbanity to change its loco??? The ECML didn't do that.

Goods are worked by night - as they were, primarily, on the ECML (or so I'm told, by someone who should know), - but domestic-coal, and parcels add to the non-rush-hour Slow Up/Down

Its all about watching trains, mainly the last of the Steam hauled expresses. I did have a sound Deltic but I sold it 'cos it made me depressed.

Tony.

Yes, 'tis

I thought about changing my username, but I can't find out how to do it. Freebs is how I'm known on another model railway forum and a non-railway related forum and lnrmodels is what is use for my blog - it's confusing, I know ;)

Freebs, I think you have to go to your profile and click on edit where you should be able to change it -  Iain had to do that when I joined the Forum.

Cheers.

Allan

I hope you get chance to continue work on your layout Tony - it sounds great.

I've been inspired to get going on my own project... tonight I battled through to the layout boards in the garage (having first having to move three bikes, a lawnmower and various bags of rabbit hay/wood shavings :)

I've now decided on a workable 4 track layout and my station is roughly planned :)

I was going to start a thread tonight, but the camera phone pic is abysmal

Here's a sneak peek anyway:

post-15693-0-15254600-1377206908_thumb.jpg

I've now switched to Peco Medium radius points from Hornby trainset small radius points, thus bringing the lines closer together and giving me a bit more room

You can roughly see the Station layout - there are two main lines - then running behind platform 2 will be a goods line that may or may not go anywhere (the primary reason for this layout is for my kids to play trains- I kind of got carried away with making buildings above and beyond the appreciation of a 6 and 9 year old (although my daughter loves showing off my buildings to her visiting friends) )  ... Anyhow - there will be a fourth running line (in the foreground) which will incline and run above what's going to be a tunnel at the top end of the layout.

Where you can see a big tray of polystyrene full of bits of track is a board that I'm going to take out, to enable an operating well.. There'll be a bit of room at the front of the station building to hopefully model a bit of an approach and give a photographic angle (I hope so, as this is the best view at the moment)

I'll hopefully take a better shot with the other camera in daylight.

• Like 4

Tony, you are now reading electronic advise from the same chap that blows up the National Grid every monday morning.

I too use Insulfrog Points but I hard wire the blades to the stock rails for guaranteed electrical continuity even if the blades aren't making full contact.

However, this means that whole lyout is live - sidings, loops, the lo,t and all it requires is TWO wires from your controller and soldered to ANYWHERE on the main lain - but, you will nead isolating switches in the loops and sidings, but you'll never have point problems again - being ALL rails live, what else can they do ?! - Guranteed hassle free running and to hell with that stupid little inefficient contact nib on all Peco points - self isolating be damned, more like won't effin well' work when you want them too !!

Cheers.

Allan.

Despite my exhaustive last post, I don't totally disagree, but I'd need some signal-interlocking or some such which is way into the future. After all, a real driver could hurtle past a signal check but most didn't - its a drivers eye view. At the moment I have a great many old, split-chassis locos, which can be chipped with a little work but I'd rather change the chassis - in the fullness of time. As it is, my layout can be DC or DCC. Many advocate against this but it is doable if you have an air-gap - not switches that can be switched accidently - but visually substantial plugs that can be seen to be in or out. I'm busy putting coloured tape pennants on mine. Its been like this a long time now, and I've only had one fault which was when I broke one of my own rigid rules. It was a tender-drive A3 and their motors don't chatter on DCC; they quietly fry!

Smacked hands!

Tony.

I've been inspired to get going on my own project... tonight I battled through to the layout boards in the garage (having first having to move three bikes, a lawnmower and various bags of rabbit hay/wood shavings :)

I've now decided on a workable 4 track layout and my station is roughly planned :)

attachicon.gifit begins.jpg

I've now switched to Peco Medium radius points from Hornby trainset small radius points, thus bringing the lines closer together and giving me a bit more room

You can roughly see the Station layout - there are two main lines - then running behind platform 2 will be a goods line that may or may not go anywhere (the primary reason for this layout is for my kids to play trains- I kind of got carried away with making buildings above and beyond the appreciation of a 6 and 9 year old (although my daughter loves showing off my buildings to her visiting friends) )  ... Anyhow - there will be a fourth running line (in the foreground) which will incline and run above what's going to be a tunnel at the top end of the layout.

Where you can see a big tray of polystyrene full of bits of track is a board that I'm going to take out, to enable an operating well.. There'll be a bit of room at the front of the station building to hopefully model a bit of an approach and give a photographic angle (I hope so, as this is the best view at the moment)

This looks fab, Lee! I am looking forward to more photos, bring 'em on!  The only problem I can see is that the quality of your structures and no doubt the scenery, will be so high that you will have to run Pendon quality trains or they will look seriously under quality! I'm only saying this tongue in cheek as I know modern rtr is great, but your skills are awesome and I can't wait, even if it may take some time, to see what happens next.

cheers,

Iain

attachicon.gifit begins.jpg

An excellent start! And your station buildings look ace.

Its good to keep your kids enjoyment. Many adult layouts become so specifically correct that they are no fun for youngsters. And if this hobby is to have any future it depends on us enthralling the kids. Mine is essentially a kid's layout. Albeit, my grandkid likes to see all four tracks running at Scalextric speeds - all whistles blowing! Its a hell of a racket!

Actually, I feel better about myself after having bitten the bullet and shown what I have managed to do. Now I've started a rigorous list, breaking every task into small, doable parts. I don't dare do a thread, though. Its not just that I'd be boringly slow, but I'd stress myself keeping up with peoples' remarks, etc. I've had a brilliant day today, posting, but a double day's work tomorrow to make up for it!

I really look forward to seeing how your layout develops. With your building expertise it'll be brilliant I'm certain.

Tony.

• Like 1