Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Hi Alan,

I remember using the Wem copycat for years and no one could tell the difference except us playing it but now we have Charlie Hall's EFTP which I use and it really sounds the buisness but Hank is not using .that. anymore, he's using an Australian product in similar fashion to the Q20 with EFTP its called a TVS3 which doeas what the EFTP does but is actually an echo unit too.

According to Bruce welch, in the early days they used a Meazzi echomatic 1 then a 2 miced up through VoxAC15s which had that early uinique sound then they used AC30s later to gain more monitor volume on stage as the AC15 were driven hard.

Having spent some time with charlie hall 2 years ago, I learned much from him in terms of what was what so to speak and he was the one responsible for getting Hanks replica sounds EFTP for live gigs, he used 2x Q2s then onto the flagship Q20's using EFTP.

I at present am using The Magicstomp loaded with Charlies EFTP, AC30 And two Strat's signature Hank Stratocaster fiester red and a 1979 USA Strat.

cheers

Peter

• Like 2

I knew Hank and Bruce when they worked behind the coffe bar at the 2 I's  in Wardour street - Hank served the orange juice, Bruce the coffee and stuff.

They were also the kind of in house guitarists and Hank was a dead ringer for Buddy Holly.

Anyway, This guy from the music industry comes along looking for another guitarist, Lockwood I think, to back the new kid on the block - Cliff Richard.

However, Lockwood wasn't there so the muso guy asked Hank if he would like to come along, meet Cliff and audition. Well not unless I can bring my mate along (Bruce Welch, rythum ) said Marvin so off they all went to meet Cliff who was being measured up for a pink jacket, they all hit it off, Cliff could sing, Hank coild play and so they formed a group called The Drifters, but had to change it as there was already an American group under that name so they came up with the Shadows, who were then joined by bass guitarist Jet Harris who was already established in the business, found a drummer and away they went.

Their first guitars were crap and the only way you could get hold of a Strat, was by importing one for 'own use' which Cliff did, a red one which he painted white !! and gave it to Hank on permanant loan and it was that very guitar that gave the Shadows that unique tone - clean, smooth, and full of whammy bars and echos ! and about 50 years or so on, Cliff gave the guitar to Hank to keep who then had it restored to it's original Flamingo Red. - and Hank also owned the late Buddy Holly's strat which he still uses on stage.

About ten years later I met another guitarist called Robinson who built a windmill for me.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 3

I am very dull compared to you guys with your pedals and amps etc. For many years I played with the old 70's Strat through a Marshall Governor and a Chorus /flanger. Amp was whatever we had at the time, Mesa Boogies latterly. I also had a beautiful purple Telecaster, which I sold and now regret it daily.

I now sport a bland cedar acoustic from the far east and the sultan of ping, my old strat, through a Fender Tweed amp, which is fine for the sort of alt.country we play.

We visited the Beatles museum recently...I wanted to model all those dockside structures...but now I'm hankering after a Ricky...

cheers,

Iain

• Like 2

The 2i's Coffee Bar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
2i's Coffee Bar 250px-2isx.jpg Location Soho, London, England, United Kingdom Type Coffee bar Opened 1956 Closed 1970 Owner Paul Lincoln

The 2i's Coffee Bar was a coffee bar in the basement at 59 Old Compton Street, Soho, London, between 1956 and 1970. The 2i's was owned by Paul Lincoln, an Australian wrestler and wrestling promoter. Its name derived from earlier owners, two Irani brothers.[1]

The coffee bar had live music and several stars were discovered or performed at the coffee bar, such as: Rory Blackwell, Tommy Steele, The Vipers Skiffle Group, Cliff Richard, Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, Brian Bennett, Tony Meehan, Jet Harris, Brian 'Licorice' Locking,Vince Eager, Terry Dene, Wee Willie Harris, Adam Faith, Carlo Little, Joe Brown, Clem Cattini (The Tornados), Eden Kane, Screaming Lord Sutch, Tony Sheridan, Johnny Kidd, Paul Gadd (later to be known as Paul Raven and then Gary Glitter), Ritchie Blackmore, Alex Wharton, Mickie Most (as the Most Brothers)[2] and Big Jim Sullivan.

According to an article in Time,[3]skiffle[4] was brand new to the UK, and in particular at The 2i's Coffee Bar and nearby, The Cat's Whisker, founded by Peter Evans where "Soho hipsters swelter and suffocate for it... and... generally the musicians were paid with coffee and cokes". Evans later started the Angus Steak Houses from this Soho bar.

Led Zeppelin's manager, Peter Grant, was a bouncer at the 2i's prior to his career in the music business.[5]

On 18 September 2006, a Green plaque[6] was unveiled at the site of the 2i's Coffee Bar to commemorate its existence, and to celebrate 50 years of British rock and roll. The basement is now simply a lobby area.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guy's here's a video file of the me doing Gonzales with the vintage sound from EFTP

just let me know and I will deleat the file so as not to use up your thread space etc :-)

th_Gonzales.jpg

You could smile a bit more...

Hi Guy's here's a video file of the me doing Gonzales with the vintage sound from EFTP

just let me know and I will deleat the file so as not to use up your thread space etc :-)

Extremely nice tone, very warm and with lots of juicy reverb. Nice playing, too!

cheers,

Iain

My first guitar looks like that. It didn't when I got it though. It was a bright red Marlin Slammer with white scratch plate and chunky strat-alike headstock shape. My mate and I stripped it down, sanded all the paint off it and varnished it with Clear Yacht Varnish, then added a black scratchplate and reshaped the headstock. For a cheapy guitar it still plays really nicely, but is now living with my father in law. I've got a Japanese Gibson SG copy that my Wife's uncle picked up at a charity shop for £20 and that's the one I use for noodling around on - it plays really well for what it is, but sadly a few A and D chords are all it manages these days while I wait for my computer to boot up...

Allan - just what are you typing? War and Peace? ;)

• Like 1

Hi guy's sorry for the morbid look, just got caught out with this video, my other ones are better, I'm usually allways up for a laugh and very Monty python esque in nature :-)

this video unfortunatley is the only one i have of me doing Gonzales, together with sad look, i think at the time it was imidiatley after someone had robbed my cream cake out the fridge very distressing that was, I wanted it with a brew to what the tour de france as i had no wine in at the time :-).

• Like 2

th_Gonzales.jpg

th_Gonzales.jpg

That, and perfect model buildings! - Way too much talent for one man!

Tony.

Double-post thingy again! how does that happen! :(

Edited by Brass0four

Hi guy's sorry for the morbid look, just got caught out with this video, my other ones are better, I'm usually allways up for a laugh and very Monty python esque in nature :-)

this video unfortunatley is the only one i have of me doing Gonzales, together with sad look, i think at the time it was imidiatley after someone had robbed my cream cake out the fridge very distressing that was, I wanted it with a brew to what the tour de france as i had no wine in at the time :-).

[/quote

Not another cyclist as well! I've got an idea for a fun poll...

Maybe not.

The 2i's Coffee Bar

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

2i's Coffee Bar

250px-2isx.jpg

Soho, London, England, United Kingdom

Type

Coffee bar

Opened

Closed

Owner

Paul Lincoln

The 2i's Coffee Bar was a coffee bar in the basement at 59 Old Compton Street, Soho, London, between 1956 and 1970. The 2i's was owned by Paul Lincoln, an Australian wrestler and wrestling promoter. Its name derived from earlier owners, two Irani brothers.%5B1%5D

The coffee bar had live music and several stars were discovered or performed at the coffee bar, such as: Rory Blackwell, Tommy Steele, The Vipers Skiffle Group, Cliff Richard, Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, Brian Bennett, Tony Meehan, Jet Harris, Brian 'Licorice' Locking,Vince Eager, Terry Dene, Wee Willie Harris, Adam Faith, Carlo Little, Joe Brown, Clem Cattini (The Tornados), Eden Kane, Screaming Lord Sutch, Tony Sheridan, Johnny Kidd, Paul Gadd (later to be known as Paul Raven and then Gary Glitter), Ritchie Blackmore, Alex Wharton, Mickie Most (as the Most Brothers)%5B2%5D and Big Jim Sullivan.

According to an article in Time,%5B3%5Dskiffle%5B4%5D was brand new to the UK, and in particular at The 2i's Coffee Bar and nearby, The Cat's Whisker, founded by Peter Evans where "Soho hipsters swelter and suffocate for it... and... generally the musicians were paid with coffee and cokes". Evans later started the Angus Steak Houses from this Soho bar.

Led Zeppelin's manager, Peter Grant, was a bouncer at the 2i's prior to his career in the music business.%5B5%5D

On 18 September 2006, a Green plaque%5B6%5D was unveiled at the site of the 2i's Coffee Bar to commemorate its existence, and to celebrate 50 years of British rock and roll. The basement is now simply a lobby area.

Another Wiki leaker! :O

There's definitely a pattern emerging.  Guitars, cats and cycling. I don't think Allan is a cyclist, but he and I are both old truckers (no...truckers, I said...) This thread shows that you lot are a very interesting bunch, about as far from the stereotype of a model railway enthusiast as you can get!

cheers,

Iain

There's definitely a pattern emerging.  Guitars, cats and cycling. I don't think Allan is a cyclist, but he and I are both old truckers (no...truckers, I said...) This thread shows that you lot are a very interesting bunch, about as far from the stereotype of a model railway enthusiast as you can get!

cheers,

Iain

Dead right Iain, a real talented bunch if ever there was - so best not mention any past conquests involving ladies.

But then again...

Cheers.

Allan

[/quote

Not another cyclist as well! I've got an idea for a fun poll...

Maybe not.

Well you can add Iain and I to that list - and Dave Shakespeare of Tetleys Mills fame...

Well you can add Iain and I to that list - and Dave Shakespeare of Tetleys Mills fame...

Et moi,

And Mythocentric (Bill)

And, as I only ever considered cool cats to be a metaphor, all Cool Cat guitarists qualify!

So I win the bet, and get Iain's Ovation as a prize! :D

Tony.

• Like 1

Hi guy's Its true I'm back cycling but not racing, those days long gone form me now, leaving that to my son but i do 35 miles on a tuesday and thursday's and weekends is pretty much who decides were and how far but all good fun :-) avrage speed vary's from 15mph to 20 mph dependant who's out etc.

Here is The other guitar with EFTP and Hasnks more modern sound, oh and i'm a bit more cheerful on thios :-)

don't forget to let me know when you want me to deleat the post.

Superb, Pete. The guitar is a real looker too and sounds very sweet.

Yes, the racing is over for me, too...I can't put in the miles with all this modelmaking, but forest road cycling is plentiful round here to keep the gnarly old legs turning!

cheers,

Iain

Superb, Pete. The guitar is a real looker too and sounds very sweet.

Yes, the racing is over for me, too...I can't put in the miles with all this modelmaking, but forest road cycling is plentiful round here to keep the gnarly old legs turning!

cheers,

Iain

I can't put in the miles even without the modelmaking! ;)

Here is The other guitar with EFTP and Hasnks more modern sound, oh and i'm a bit more cheerful on thios :-)

don't forget to let me know when you want me to deleat the post.

No rush - makes a nice soundtrack while I read up to date on the topic!