Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

I am petrified of the thought of Allan revealing himself in colour, let alone in his splendour! :scare:  :haha:

attachicon.gifslide338.jpg

Blimey! My Dad had this issue. This was the Christmas I received my Hornby Intercity 125 and the baseboard on which to set it up. Indeed I still have the trainset and my son happily plays with it today

• Like 3

Blimey! My Dad had this issue. This was the Christmas I received my Hornby Intercity 125 and the baseboard on which to set it up. Indeed I still have the trainset and my son happily plays with it today

There's something very nice about this kind of continuity.

Sorry, posted this elsewhere including today but it's Christmas and I'm feeling sentimental.  My childhood railway and (some of my trains) brought out from pasture after 25 or more years, being played with by my little boy:

Bare%2520Baseboard%25202.jpg

The HST was second hand, though, from the son of a (now) member of the House of Lords who worked on the Western Region where Dad was a Civil Engineer.  Civil Engineers didn't get paid that much, hence the second hand stuff!

• Like 7

Sorry, posted this elsewhere including today but it's Christmas and I'm feeling sentimental.  My childhood railway and (some of my trains) brought out from pasture after 25 or more years, being played with by my little boy:

post-7286-0-58389200-1386937748.jpg

Small boy + electric train set + Christmas looming - you'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel a twinge of sentimentality at such an image!

• Like 1

Small boy + electric train set + Christmas looming - you'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel a twinge of sentimentality at such an image!

You should see the one of him in his School blazer playing with it.  All it needs is me in the background in tweeds with a tache and pipe and you'd have a 1950s Hornby advert ;)

Edit to add:

As I work in a Prep School tweed is part of the uniform.  The Long Haired Controller made me stop smoking, though, and I look silly with a moustache!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 3

Are you sure about the superglue origin?  I thought it was something to do with gun sights in WWII.  Anyway, it is a superb wound closure thing and I have used it.  I think whoever said the little bottles in the soldiers' helmet bands were glue might have been pulling your leg, they normally had rifle lubricating oil in them...

Hmmm....

History Of Super Glue

Since its heralded beginning, the powerful adhesive known as Super Glue has enjoyed a rich history - including an imaginative element of mythology! Though urban legend describes the glue as an accidental solution to battle wounds during World War II, its actual evolution is a little different.

The original cyanoacrylates (the chemical name for the glue) were discovered in 1942 in a search for materials to make clear plastic gun sights for the war, and scientists stumbled upon a formulation that stuck to everything that it came in contact with. However, cyanoacrylates were quickly rejected by American researchers precisely because they stuck to everything! In 1951, cyanoacrylates were rediscovered by Eastman Kodak researchers Harry Coover and Fred Joyner, who recognized its true commercial potential, and it was first sold as a commercial product in 1958

Edited by allan downes

Bare%2520Baseboard%25202.jpg

The HST was second hand, though, from the son of a (now) member of the House of Lords who worked on the Western Region where Dad was a Civil Engineer.  Civil Engineers didn't get paid that much, hence the second hand stuff!

Best picture on the Thread !!

Well at least a tie with that one of Robinson...

Why do I keep getting this urge to superglue my old Guagemaster controller to something?

Actually, cyanoacrylate's as medical aid is excellent and is still in use today. A few years back I was silly enough to obtain a gash in my right index finger which went down to the bone. Fortunately along and not across the joint (second!)! When I got to the hospital I was surprised when, after examination, the nurse ignored the usual catgut and fishbone needles and produced a bottle of superglue, repaired the damage, splinted my finger with a flexible plastic sleeve and sent me on my way. (I'll leave out the bit about the injection in case some of you are of a delicate nature!). It healed in half the time without a return visit to have stitches removed and the scar is virtually invisible.

Incidentally, I don't know who made the stuff, but after a conversation about the models I make she slipped me a 20 gram bottle for my very own and it's the only time I've ever managed to use a whole bottle right to the bottom! Good stuff! ;)

Regards

Bill

• Like 3

" after a conversation about the models I make she slipped me a 20 gram bottle for my very own"

What a smooth talker, Bill! Respect. Not only managed to slip a socially unacceptable*  hobby into conversation with a nurse, but get a bottle of glue as well. I have much to learn from you. :sungum: 

cheers,

Iain

*PS "socially unacceptable"...just to folk with no soul.

• Like 1

And just to add, sorry I was rude enough not to reply to the posters commenting on the Duette.  That is indeed the original bought in about 1979...

To get back on thread I remember being told that to take part in the thread properly I needed to stick some modelling up now & again.  Sorry that these have been seen before, but:

IMG_2292.JPG

Art Deco station roof, with the vac-formed skylights.  All scratchbuilt.

IMG_2281-1.JPG

Couple of bits for my goods shed office.

IMG_2284.JPG

Some beggar's been after pinching the office roof!

IMG_2286-1.JPG

Let there be light!

• Like 3

And just to add, sorry I was rude enough not to reply to the posters commenting on the Duette.  That is indeed the original bought in about 1979...

To get back on thread I remember being told that to take part in the thread properly I needed to stick some modelling up now & again.  Sorry that these have been seen before, but:

IMG_2292.JPG

Art Deco station roof, with the vac-formed skylights.  All scratchbuilt.

IMG_2281-1.JPG

Couple of bits for my goods shed office.

IMG_2284.JPG

Some beggar's been after pinching the office roof!

IMG_2286-1.JPG

Let there be light!

Nice stuff C&WR, and don't worry about repeat pics on the Thread - I've turned it into a fine art while Robinson does'nt like showing anything twice in case I nick his ideas !!

Cheers.

Allan.

" after a conversation about the models I make she slipped me a 20 gram bottle for my very own"

What a smooth talker, Bill! Respect. Not only managed to slip a socially unacceptable*  hobby into conversation with a nurse, but get a bottle of glue as well. I have much to learn from you. :sungum: 

cheers,

Iain

Actually Iain you may be giving far more respect to Bill than he's due.Once the nurse realised  he was a railway modeller I bet she just followed standard NHS. protocol . It's far easier to give him a readily available supply of glue rather than her having to stick him back together again when he next presented dripping blood in A/E and telling the usual modellers tail of woe.

Lacerations,burns,solvent intoxication,fractured skulls(standing up under baseboards),heart attacks (lifting baseboards),electrocution, lead poisoning and even for some reason shards of fibreglass in eyes not to mention acid burns,my God how do we survive !.

Mind you on the other hand giving an unsupervised railway modeller 20g of super glue is rather like giving a three year old a box of matches and a jerry can of petrol.It's just asking for trouble. :nono:

Edited by iainp

Nice stuff C&WR, and don't worry about repeat pics on the Thread - I've turned it into a fine art while Robinson does'nt like showing anything twice in case I nick his ideas !!

Cheers.

Allan.

Thanks very much!  I wondered for a moment if I was losing it & had posted these on this thread, but luckily it was just elsewhere on RMWeb.  Thank goodness, it's been a busy term & sometimes I wonder if the bag I keep my marbles in has a mesh bigger than the marbles if you get my drift...

Edited by C&WR

Wow but that office looks good and I love that chair; I sit on one just like it every day! 

I like the stairs too; the texture seems to stand out - Scalescenes papers or other?

David

Many thanks.  It's the Scalescenes goods shed, David.  Chair, ledgers & lamp are scratchbuilt from styrene, paper & card.  The desk is a chest of drawers from the Scalescenes furniture & lineside junk kit cut in two & with the back put across as the desktop.  The newspaper is from that kit too.  I added the picture over the mantleshelf cut from a poster in a Railwayscenics advertising pack, and the mantleshelf itself is a cutting from a matchstick I'd been stirring Humbrol 10 Service Brown (my cheat colour for GWR chocolate) with.

On my thread on here I tend to have a rule I post complete build posts & I'm nearly there with the shed.  Keep an eye on my workbench, I'll put it all on in one go shortly!

• Like 1

Actually I think Iain (the other one) may have the right of it! I think I must have looked suitably pathetic though. After all I had just received an injection from the young lady in a part of my anatomy you don't usually expose to a person of tender years. Even a nurse if I can help it! :angel:

Surprisingly enough I manage to remain relatively accident-free compared to the average railway modeller. Apart from dropping a scalpel which impaled my foot last year.....and then there's the hardy perennial where I distractedly picked up the soldering iron by the wrong end (very briefly!). Funnily enough I've never superglued my fingers together though I did one superglue my trouser leg to my kneecap which resulted in me hobbling around like Quasimodo for a couple of hours until they detached themselves together with a small patch of skin! Just lucky I guess!

Bill

cheers,

Iain

Actually Iain you may be giving far more respect to Bill than he's due.Once the nurse realised  he was a railway modeller I bet she just followed standard NHS. protocol . It's far easier to give him a readily available supply of glue rather than she having to stick him back together again when he next presented dripping blood in A/E and telling the usual modellers tail of woe.

Lacerations,burns,solvent intoxication,fractured skulls(standing up under baseboards),heart attacks (lifting baseboards),electrocution, lead poisoning and even for some reason shards of fibreglass in eyes not to mention acid burns,my God how do we survive !.

Mind you on the other hand giving an unsupervised railway modeller 20g of super glue is rather like giving a three year old a box of matches and a jerry can of petrol.It's just asking for trouble. :nono:

• Like 1

That was a tes shott for photobucket, the most complicated site on the internet.

To start with, I didn't even know that I had subsribed yet they had ALL my photos that were lost when I cleaned up and restored my computer to its original default - whatever default is - and although they refuse to let me in I can access my lost pictures again which must also mean that I can access yours too !!!!!

That's if of course you use Photobucket and, apparantly, even if you don't !

Scary.

Allan.