RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

So that's where the elves work. Great little laithe Allan. Water is usually in trough type tank.

I've just spent two hours trying to solder up some two rail handrail for bus station waiting position barriers. 36 in total to do. Hope it gets easier with practice.

Regards,

Terry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Almost anything gets better with practice. I spent part of today assembling Busch dandelions (HO/OO) for a diorama I'm working on. The small size of the components can be intimidating and you need to make sure you don't breathe out heavily (and sneezing is right out!) but a bit of practice and they were fine. 

post-16840-0-83986900-1393965756_thumb.jpg

This a picture of part of Mortomley - not one of my creations but the builder has bought various bits from us and I like his style. 

• Like 6

As many people here have commented I am totally in awe of the work done by Allan Downes and others. All I can hope is that my work when it appears is maybe half as good as the worst of what I have seen in this thread.And there isn't a lot of 'bad ' work shown at all.

Thanks for inspiring me and please dont stop showing us mere mortals how to do these things  THANKS.

• Like 1

As many people here have commented I am totally in awe of the work done by Allan Downes and others. All I can hope is that my work when it appears is maybe half as good as the worst of what I have seen in this thread.And there isn't a lot of 'bad ' work shown at all.

Thanks for inspiring me and please dont stop showing us mere mortals how to do these things  THANKS.

Hi there gymole.

Ayntime you want to stick your work up on here you go right ahead mate, and no one will knock it because  a greater bunch of guys you couldn't wish to meet and it's THEM, not 'us' that made this thread what it is, and  when I started it along with my old mate Iain Robinson, not for for one moment did we expect anything like the response we got and here we are, knocking on the door of a 100,000 hits !!!  - and you don't hit those kind of figures trying to be exclusive  so mate, post away ! 

Cheers Allan.

Er, anyone got a picture of my windmill handy.....?

• Like 1

Allan, you really should make the windmill your profile picture.

I think it's really time I came clean about that windmill where in fact it was a private commission undertaken by Iain C Robinson back in the 70's after claiming that he was an expert in such matters and I thought that for £1.50 in new money I couldn't go wrong even if the cow was !

Cheers.

Allan

I think it's really time I came clean about that windmill where in fact it was a private commission undertaken by Iain C Robinson back in the 70's after claiming that he was an expert in such matters and I thought that for £1.50 in new money I couldn't go wrong even if the cow was !

Cheers.

Allan

Allan, that's not true. I gave you the magic beans and all I got was that Cow. I really wanted that windmill and you knew it. And what is wrong with  the cow? It never gave milk. I want my beans back, except I know you gave them to the devil in exchange for a 48 hour day and the ability to have supernatural modelmaking talents.  There...I feel better now!

cheers,

Iain

Allan, that's not true. I gave you the magic beans and all I got was that Cow. I really wanted that windmill and you knew it. And what is wrong with  the cow? It never gave milk. I want my beans back, except I know you gave them to the devil in exchange for a 48 hour day and the ability to have supernatural modelmaking talents.  There...I feel better now!

cheers,

Iain

What?!?  Allan owes his heroic modelling superpowers to a deal with Mephistophilis?  I'd have gone for Helen of Troy, myself...

No, I think that, whatever his peccadilloes, this thread proves that he is on the side of the Angles Angels!

Edit: tidying up sloppy typing.

Edited by bluebottle

The modelling on here is amazing and the banter really funny. Keep up the great work everyone.

Railway Modeller - March 2008 - Tetford Station

Quote from Iain Robinson

"It had been a tiring day, struggling with baseboards and wiring for a customer. The ancient photographs soothed me and took me to a slower, more relaxed time. I didn't feel so bad about putting off the making station buildings for my latest project. I hadn't even thought about the goods shed - it frightened me. I fell asleep, thinking about better men than myself, and how they just got on with things.!

I wonder if it was Allan he was thinking about. :)

• Like 2

I wonder if it was Allan he was thinking about. :)

It could have been, my braw laddie. Except that there is nothing relaxed about Allan...he never stops, and the results are there for everyone to see. He's a genius, and indeed a far, far better man than me.

I was a bit miffed with the editor over that article, because he wielded his blue pencil and removed a couple of light-hearted jokes. I remember writing about dear old Jenkinson, taking a "Little Long Drag" of his pipe as he gazed scornfully at one of my models (in the dream only, because Jenks was a very nice fellow in real life.)  And I still only got eight quid a page... :threaten:

cheers,

Iain

Cheers.

Allan

Ah, you just don't want to be pigeon holed as "the chap who built that bloody windmill".

Don't worry Allan, we all know you do cathedrals too. :jester:

...... Except that there is nothing relaxed about Allan...he never stops, and the results are there for everyone to see. He's a genius, and indeed a far, far better man than me.

cheers,

Iain

A better modeller perhaps mate, but NEVER a better man.

And come to think of it, not a better modeller either.....

And boy did that hurt saying that!!!

Cheers.

Allan.

JCL, on 05 Mar 2014 - 20:25, said:

Gadzooks! I haven't heard a good jings in yonks!

That was the 'swear' word most often used by my grandmother, in Scotland, if anything went wrong. Brings back memories.

• Like 1

The modelling on here is amazing and the banter really funny. Keep up the great work everyone.

Railway Modeller - March 2008 - Tetford Station

Quote from Iain Robinson

"It had been a tiring day, struggling with baseboards and wiring for a customer. The ancient photographs soothed me and took me to a slower, more relaxed time. I didn't feel so bad about putting off the making station buildings for my latest project. I hadn't even thought about the goods shed - it frightened me. I fell asleep, thinking about better men than myself, and how they just got on with things!

I remember writing about dear old Jenkinson, taking a "Little Long Drag" of his pipe as he gazed scornfully at one of my models (in the dream only, because Jenks was a very nice fellow in real life.)

cheers,

Iain

Are you sure it was Jenkinson taking a "Little Long Drag"  and not you puffing on that pipe Iain. I've never heard you sound so mellow.Communing with Jenkinson in a dream.Whoa,Far out!

and laid back man!!...

Peace Brother.

Dillon.