RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Running a B&B and cooking breakfasts incorporating eggs, dairy, bread, etc, it's surprising just how many people are having problems with food intolerances. Only one kiwi fruit intolerance so far. My biggest challenges were egg, dairy and gluten, and then a couple, who between booking and arriving became vegan. They were very apologetic not to have mentioned it to me when I put a full English in front of them - but we have become friends since :)

I'm allergic to certain beers and certain wines. Unfortunately the list of wines I'm intolerant to is expanding, but on the other hand it does mean that I get to try new ones in the name of science. Beer tends to be special occasion or when I think buggrit.

So mine's a Cherry B or a Snowball thankyouverymuch.[/quote

You didn't mention whether red or white, but if you drink red try finding the reds that dont contain sulphites.

Actually this week is cut week, it happens once a year where I remove vast slices of me with the Stanley knife. So far I've hacked two lumps off the right thumb and an impressive slice off my left. Today I'm going all out to remove as much flesh as I can before the week runs out.

Support your local slasher,has anyone got any spare bleed I can borrow?

Cheers.

Allan

I am sure that in the past skin has been used for making a variety of odd things. Maybe you can dry it and use it as glazing in models. A bit opaque but hey, its personal.

Hi Allan

Sorry to go off topic and change the subject from the state of your mental health,let's face it if you're barmy you're barmy,the men in white coats have been trying to cure me for years.What I'd like to ask is have you any views on the use of airbrushes in modelling.Do you use one and if you do have you got any tips.I don't recall you ever mentioning the use of one, though I know you use the odd aerosol can.

Do you think that young upstart Robinson uses one? I don't recall him ever mentioning he does.

Edited by iainp

That's no way to refer to that nice Mr Robinson.

You seem to have misread my last posting Dr Gerbil-fritters, I clearly referred to the nice Mr Robinson as a young upstart and not an odd aerosol.I can only hope that your posting has not led to any distress being caused to Mr Robinson.I really must caution you to be more circumspect in your future postings,I have found in the past that one can so easily give offence where none was intended.

Edited by iainp

Hi Allan

Sorry to go off topic and change the subject from the state of your mental health,let's face it if you're barmy you're barmy,the men in white coats have been trying to cure me for years.What I'd like to ask is have you any views on the use of airbrushes in modelling.Do you use one and if you do have you got any tips.I don't recall you ever mentioning the use of one, though I know you use the odd aerosol can.

Do you think that young upstart Robinson uses one? I don't recall him ever mentioning he does.

Yes, Iain, I do use an airbrush, but not very much these days. I tend to use it only for covering areas that might be spoilt by brushmarks...I don't weather with it as I like to do that from photographs and individually apply colour in discrete washes. Oh, and I use it to spatter weathering like moss and lichen on to model asbestos roofs etc.

When I do use the airbrush, it's either an old Paasche model with a big cup (ooh missus) or a newer Olympos, which I use with an ancient DeVilbis compressor. I like the acrylic inks produced by Daler.Rowney as they can be mixed well and have very fine particles...also they are available in Burnt Sienna etc for weathering.

I like the idea of being a young upstart - thank you, but I am afraid that horse bolted about three decades ago... :senile:

cheers,

Iain 

Thanks Iain.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

As a returnee to the modelling world my only experience of model painting is brushed enamels,but as you might have gathered I've just in the process of trying to get to grips with airbrushing.Acrylic inks sound pretty good for weathering. If you need to can you wash them off with water before they have dried?

I've never actually used acrylic paints, some people don't advise spraying them and yet others swear by them all very confusing.I am playing around with enamels at the moment.Better the devil you know.

As my previous modelling was a frightening four decades ago,when Allan was the main man and you had yet to put in an appearance on the modelling stage, I still think of you as the young pretender,although obviously by now you must be yonks old.Aren't we all,how did that happen?

Half timbered buildings require a hell of a lot of cutting out but the real work is in the bays - these literally take hours to build as they have to be a 100% perfect so as to line up vertically and horizontally with the main wall timbers - so far today, I've scrapped two bays already - I made them 3 windows wide when they should have ben 4 !!!

I'm telling you, this building came so close to getting dumped in the wheely bin that I had to be restrained with a few swift slugs of Highland malt !

Cheers.

Allan.

Here's they bays

.post-18579-0-95702300-1394552870_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-64112600-1394552882_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-56883600-1394552892_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I believe Hogwarts in the Harry Potter films was done with models as were some of the scenes in Skyfall (the helicopter crash for example).

Just going through this thread top to bottom and came across this post. Yes, Hogwarts was a real model (as will as some CGI). My mate was on the team of 9-10 people that built it, and when he got married last year a few of his old friends from his professional modelmaking days were at the wedding, we chatted about model making a bit. It's a dying industry, though, thanks to the prevalence of CGI.

Hi Allan

....Do you use one and if you do have you got any tips.I don't recall you ever mentioning the use of one, though I know you use the odd aerosol can.

Hi Iainp.

Can't be doing with airbrushes - all that faffing about getting the right consistency of paint, two blasts and the damn things empty and then there's all that stripping down and cleaning hassle otherwise it won't work next time you go to use it, then there's all that messing about when you want to change colours, give me aerosol cans every time - line up the colours, blast away then dump the cans when they're empty!

I'm not sure whether or not Iain C's wallet would allow him to stretch to an airbrush - it would come apart at the stiching at the mere thought of it !

Cheerslan

Al.

• Like 1

Just going through this thread top to bottom and came across this post.

You know how it is your happily half way through reading this thread when the missus tells you to get of your backside and do some work so you have to come of the computer and when you eventually do get back on RMWEB you have to page through dozens of pages to get to where you left off and its such a pain.Now I know those in the know will all groan when I tell you this but you don't need to do this,you just double left click on the bit at the beginning of the thread that says "page1 of 137"and you can simply go to the page you want.Brilliant or what! It's only taken me over 2 years to find this out.But now nobody can call me a computer numpty now.

Mr Know It All.

Iain.

Edit:Oh shxt I've just realised you don't even have to click at the beginning of the thread you can click on page137 of 137 if you like.Oh my god the time I've wasted over the last two years scrolling through pages.Why was I even born!

Edited by iainp

Iainp

It took me two years before I realized that you could click on the 'send' button or page button and it would shoot straight to the last post instead of scrolling right  down to the bottom - AND, I didn't realize that you could scroll down or up  fast and stop exactly where you want  by  moving the cursor up or down on the right - duh.

AND I didn't know that you could minimise the screen by clicking on those little overlapping squares to the left of the x top right but I've yet to find out what the  'dash' next to it does!

All this cos I was told never to click on anything that you aren't certain about and especially if it's free cos it won't be and it'll  screw up your computer big time - like the time I tried cleaning up my computer by restoring to its factory default - it cleaned it up alright, including ALL my files!!! and now the latest thing is Firefox, it won't let me go anywhere and keeps telling me that "This connection is untrusted" - even their own toolbar and options !!!

Cheers.

Allan.

Thanks Allan.

You know I've never really looked before but there's page up and down buttons all over my computer although the buttons with no's on you need to turn of the number lock to use them.There's even two sets of up down left right like you get on a TV remote.I've always used the mouse to scroll up and down the side bar previously.Think the buttons might be better.I bet Freebs is laughing his socks off at this posting.

Hi Allan

The little dash (at the top right-hand side 'nests' the page at the bottom of the screen in the toolbar. When you click on the label in the toolbar it puts it back up on the screen again. Handy if you are trying to read a few things at once. For example I 'nested' this page while I was digging the airbrush photo out! It also works with programs. I often have two, three or more open when I'm working on a 3D picture and simply switch between then as needed.

iainp

If you are still looking for an airbrush have a look at this one,

post-14791-0-18739500-1394574149_thumb.jpg

Aztec A4709 from Testor's. A strange looking machine but very comfortable to hold and use. This model is adjustable from full dual-action to single action. It's big advantage is that it uses nozzles which have the needles built in which makes cleaning very easy. Sprays anything and is impervious to just about any solvent you're likely to use. To change the spray pattern from wide coverage to a (very) fine mist, just change the nozzle! I've been using them for about 30-odd years now and I'd be lost without them. They've been accused of being a 'modellers' tool, mostly by people who have never used them. Personally I've used them for everything from modelling to fine-art applications and their performance is up there with the best which is why luminaries such as weathering guru Martyn Welch use them. I got this one from Modelex for just under £100. It even comes with a pretty good instructional DVD.

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation Bill,but unfortunately I've already ordered myself a Badger 155 which some people recommended and used.I did look at the Aztec but was a bit put off by it's looks and as you say no one seems to have a good word to say for it, many claiming it was gimmicky.If I'd known you recommended it and Martyn Welsh uses one I might well have bought one the ability to change nozzles seems to be very useful.

Iainp

It took me two years before I realized that you could click on the 'send' button or page button and it would shoot straight to the last post instead of scrolling right  down to the bottom - AND, I didn't realize that you could scroll down or up  fast and stop exactly where you want  by  moving the cursor up or down on the right - duh.

AND I didn't know that you could minimise the screen by clicking on those little overlapping squares to the left of the x top right but I've yet to find out what the  'dash' next to it does!

All this cos I was told never to click on anything that you aren't certain about and especially if it's free cos it won't be and it'll  screw up your computer big time - like the time I tried cleaning up my computer by restoring to its factory default - it cleaned it up alright, including ALL my files!!! and now the latest thing is Firefox, it won't let me go anywhere and keeps telling me that "This connection is untrusted" - even their own toolbar and options !!!

The 'dash' will minimise the page onto the task bar. You can bring it back by clicking on it.

Cheers.

Allan.

Had a go at the chimneys this evening, timber carcass, printed brickpaper and if it works, use it !

Also  a pic of THE plan and a magnificent plan it is too !!! - never could get on with drawing out scale plans for anything, I mean thay never get adhered to anyway so why bother when a scribble on a scrap of card will do just as well! I'ts a shape I'm after, not engineering perfection.

Cheers.

Allan

THE plan !

post-18579-0-99353400-1394577521_thumb.jpg

And the build which looks nothing like THE plan !

post-18579-0-81097000-1394577536_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-63334300-1394577548_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-62832400-1394577559_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Half timbered buildings require a hell of a lot of cutting out but the real work is in the bays - these literally take hours to build as they have to be a 100% perfect so as to line up vertically and horizontally with the main wall timbers - so far today, I've scrapped two bays already - I made them 3 windows wide when they should have ben 4 !!!

I'm telling you, this building came so close to getting dumped in the wheely bin that I had to be restrained with a few swift slugs of Highland malt !

Cheers.

Allan.

Here's they bays

mustn't....say.....anything..... oh! Iknowamachinethatwilldothatveryquicklyforyou. Phew. Do you think anyone noticed? :)

Love your plan Allan - but loving the model more! Speaking of plans and Hogwarts in the same page we went to the studios when last in the UK and saw the models - but what fascinated me most was the preliminary card models and paintings that they made of all the sets and buildings. Here is an example from the many photos we took.

post-20290-0-37361900-1394582045.jpg post-20290-0-00819700-1394582065_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Looks marvellous Allan, but aren't all the joints of the timbers are far too square (as are the timbers).

Are you building a real Tudor Building or a Mock Tudor building?

Regards

Ian

Well spotted Iain !

Yes they are a bit contrived I have to admit and usually I cut the timbers freehand but I had a sudden burst of a need for accuracy after all that crumbling stonework !

So, mock Tudor it is then !

Cheers.

Allan

Here we go, inspiration:

WP_000132.jpg

Drawing:

Derelict%2520Shed%2520Textures%2520%2526

And (unfinished) execution:

IMG_2597.JPG

And another inspiration:

Low%2520Relief%2520Factory%2520Project.j

Drawings:

Instruction%25201.jpg

Instruction%25203.jpg

And execution:

IMG_2547.JPG

Seen before on RMWeb, but I thought I would put them up for the comments of The Masters!

• Like 3

Right, the tilings finished and now the real work begins - planting the moulding onto the timberwork, then the moulded overhang supports, then the shops, then the jetted beam ends, then the......That's the trouble when building Tudor, somebody keeps moving the goal posts !

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-73162900-1394650995_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-30104600-1394651007_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-08607600-1394651018_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-73392400-1394651028_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-63883000-1394651051_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-31555100-1394651069_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-64098500-1394651088_thumb.jpg

• Like 2