"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Hi Guys

What a fantasic thread, pardon me for asking but somewhere on this thread some one said you gave a demo on how to do stone work effect can you tell me where i can find it please as I hope to do a North Devon style clay works Narrow gauge layout at some point.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Edited by Baldwin30762

Hi Guys

What a fantasic thread, pardon me for asking but somewhere on this thread some one said you gave a demo on how to do stone work effect can you tell me where i can find it please as I hope to do a North Devon style clay works Narrow gauge layout at some point.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Hi Colin, if you're new on here, a massive welcome, the thread where it's all at especially if you'ree anything of a windmill authority !!!

Yes, we did run a tuition on how to produce stone work from Fire cement using a home made press but I'm not sure where !

Anyway, I'm also not sure whether or not there's a forum search engine that might take you there just type in 'stonewall press' or something but if not, let me know and  I'll put it up again.

Cheers.

Allan

Hi Colin

Allan did show how to make the press on here...somewhere...but he's built about half of the UK since! This link should take you to the original article on one of his other threads! Roll down to Post #60!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69204-buildings-and-scenery-and-anything-else-thats-messy-allan-downes/page-3

Regards

Bill

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Mythocentric

Hi Guys and thanks for the welcome.

I have just found the link and had a look as well. It then occurred to me, that I had seen this else where, and guest what it is one of Allan's Peco books (Book 2-Railway Buildings) it was a good investment of all of £1.35p at the time along with the other two as well all for less than a fiver at the time.

I have to admit they have always been a source of inspiration for me I also find that by visiting some of the estate agents website’s this to can also be a source of inspiration as well for the odd building.

This I find this very useful if I want to get a generic style of building for a certain area in the UK.  

I also take Allan's point of view about Trees yes it is difficult to get realistic looking trees, but I think it was at last year Chatham show someone was making some and they did look the part I did buy the book and it is in here somewhere.

He spent time making trees mainly from different thicknesses of strands of wires. As I recall it started with a trunk then split down to two or three main branches then they where split in to five or six secondary branches and so it went on until you got to the very fine wire of the phone cable. Once at this stage all the main bits had been soldered together (not all over) and then dipped in a very weak solution of coloured dental plaster and left to dry for a few days I think he then kept dipping the whole thing with photo mount and just used fine scatter to build up the finished thing, they did look the part.

When I find the book I will get back to you guys on this thread with the details, as i was very impress with the results.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury  

My English-English dictionary tells me that 'fire cement' in the UK is probably 'furnace cement' in the US, so I might give this a try. I assume you make a new master and mold for each wall of a structure. The name of the product sounds like it is hard and brittle when set up, although you wrote about it possibly deteriorating over time under some conditions. Is that because it is being formed into thin sheets? Can it be worked at all?

Mike

I also take Allan's point of view about Trees yes it is difficult to get realistic looking trees, but I think it was at last year Chatham show someone was making some and they did look the part I did buy the book and it is in here somewhere.

He spent time making trees mainly from different thicknesses of strands of wires. As I recall it started with a trunk then split down to two or three main branches then they where split in to five or six secondary branches and so it went on until you got to the very fine wire of the phone cable. Once at this stage all the main bits had been soldered together (not all over) and then dipped in a very weak solution of coloured dental plaster and left to dry for a few days I think he then kept dipping the whole thing with photo mount and just used fine scatter to build up the finished thing, they did look the part.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Have a look at 'Hemyock grows its first tree' on here. Good piece about tree making around page 10 or maybe before.

Also see member RE6/6 (I think) see his blog.

I guess there are many other tree making pages on here just search.

Hi Colin

You may also like to have a look at the work of JAZ of this parish. She's our lady member and the one who keeps the rest of us in check (almost! :angel: ). She's also quite a dab hand with trees and I'm hoping we can persuade her to do a step-by-step (or if she's done one at least tell us where she's hidden it!). If I recall correctly she did post an example on here which is well worth searching out!

Regards

Bill

My English-English dictionary tells me that 'fire cement' in the UK is probably 'furnace cement' in the US, so I might give this a try. I assume you make a new master and mold for each wall of a structure. The name of the product sounds like it is hard and brittle when set up, although you wrote about it possibly deteriorating over time under some conditions. Is that because it is being formed into thin sheets? Can it be worked at all?

Mike

Hi Mike

Allan dealt with the mechanics elsewhere in the thread; well worth reading for the feast of knowledge from both Allan and Iain if you have the time, but basically you only need one mold for each walling type, i.e. rubble, coursed, ashlar, etc. Ring the changes by turning the mold around as you impress the cement and blend the results in if needed while the cement is still workable. When the cement is dry (Microwave but don't tell the missus!) it can be protected from deterioration over time by a generous coating of super-glue. As you can see from Allan's work, the results speak for themselves!

Regards

Bill

Right men, goods shed finished bar doors, steps and office chimney so that was a lie !

Interestingly, many goods sheds didn't have rail enterance doors because they were for ever getting stoved in due to a wayward wagon or two so in the end after much sawing and nailing they just hung a tarpaulin over the doors or not even that.

But we will have doors - WHEN Wells Fargo deliver the boarding !

BTW, did you like the open slat sliding door at the goods pick up bay ? you'd better cos it took a good solid hour to make !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-79962000-1395782172_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-34769700-1395782229_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-95513800-1395782250_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-70345400-1395782276_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-56799400-1395782334_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-97095900-1395782354_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-36217900-1395782381_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Allan I think the slatted door is brilliant (and the weathering of it) (and the track for it and the valance and ...). An hour must be the longest it has ever taken you to make anything! My wife likes the wallpaper on the wall behind the first photograph. Cheers John

Allan I think the slatted door is brilliant (and the weathering of it) (and the track for it and the valance and ...). An hour must be the longest it has ever taken you to make anything! My wife likes the wallpaper on the wall behind the first photograph. Cheers John

John.

My wife says your wife's got good taste ! - for both our bank account sakes best we keep them apart !

Cheers.

Allan.

The slatted doors look excellent as does the rest of it! Interestingly enough the goods shed I've got my eye on - Rishworth - had slatted doors for both rail and lurry entrances - at both ends! Probably something to do with the LYR management believing that a howling draught would keep the staff on their toes and alert! So don't be surprised if I start begging (pleading? grovelling?) for a step-by-step! :tomato:

Superlative models as always from the Boss! :clapping:

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Allan dealt with the mechanics elsewhere in the thread; well worth reading for the feast of knowledge from both Allan and Iain if you have the time, but basically you only need one mold for each walling type, i.e. rubble, coursed, ashlar, etc. Ring the changes by turning the mold around as you impress the cement and blend the results in if needed while the cement is still workable. When the cement is dry (Microwave but don't tell the missus!) it can be protected from deterioration over time by a generous coating of super-glue. As you can see from Allan's work, the results speak for themselves!

Regards

Bill

Thank you. Once I actually read what was in front of me, I figured out how to search this thread. Indeed, lots of information over recent months. Now the only excuse I have is the danger of being diverted from my current efforts in teaching myself resin casting. I'd take a break but all the materials have a shelf life of a few months and I hate waste!

Meanwhile, the fire cement will give me a good option from my usual practice of casting slabs of plaster and carving stones.

Mike

• Like 2

Only a member of the gentle distaff side could look at a modelling gem and spot the wallpaper behind it................................... :spruceup:

The old goods shed at Market Harborough station has sliding doors on the rail entrances that slide internally into slots at each end of the internal platform, when they are fully open you can not see any sign of the door from the outside, so you don't need to model doors.

Used to work in it when I was with Cavewood Transport we used it as a warehouse.

The old goods shed at Market Harborough station has sliding doors on the rail entrances that slide internally into slots at each end of the internal platform, when they are fully open you can not see any sign of the door from the outside, so you don't need to model doors.

Used to work in it when I was with Cavewood Transport we used it as a warehouse.

My brother-in-law used to drive for Cavewood in Wycombe but he knew bxxxer all about goods shed doors !

Anyway, thanks for the info mate - no more goods shed doors from now on !

Cheers.

Allan

And talking of goods shed doors, Wells Fargo were really on the ball this morning as a team of freshly fed and watered post ladies pulled up in a cloud of dust and Cheyenne war arrows to deliver the Evergreen boarding.

Cheers.

Allan. - and I will fit the strap hinges but later.

post-18579-0-07959700-1395849094_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-44706400-1395849104_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-94835700-1395849112_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-93874600-1395849123_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-70878400-1395849136_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-21481500-1395849152_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-87995100-1395849178_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-20698800-1395849193_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All,

When I can move the bottom of my mouth away from the floor and the above photos, I finally found the book I was referring to and that is creating realistic landscapes for model railways by Tony Hill (some one is now bound to say oh him of this list......) for those that want to get a copy the ISBN No is:- 978 84797 219 4. I have nothing to do with the book (usual disclaimer) etc except as a satisfied reader.

I was once told by a Mr Don Murrells that a good layout is made by more than one person and after all these years he is still correct.

Now if we could get Allan and Iain to do the building’s, who else could we ask to build the dream layout???????????? And what would that dream layout be of ?

Colin

Edited by Baldwin30762