Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Hi All,

When I can move the bottom of my mouth away from the floor and the above photos, I finally found the book I was referring to and that is creating realistic landscapes for model railways by Tony Hill (some one is now bound to say oh him of this list......) for those that want to get a copy the ISBN No is:- 978 84797 219 4. I have nothing to do with the book (usual disclaimer) etc except as a satisfied reader.

I was once told by a Mr Don Murrells that a good layout is made by more than one person and after all these years he is still correct.

Now if we could get Allan and Iain to do the building’s, who else could we ask to build the dream layout???????????? And what would that dream layout be of ?

Hi Baldwin.

Sometimes two many artists painting the same picture can ruin the original concept and whilst most club layouts are execellent recreations built by a mixed bag of resources, there are those that are brilliant in part, mediocre in the middle and ghastly around the edges where a confusion of different levels of talent have collided in an explosion of Peco track, Paper Mache, flock powder and all washed down with  Backmann Scenecraft and Hornby everything.

But I do see what you mean because If I built a layout and could afford it - or these days, be prepared to - then I'd have Barry Norman build the baseboards and lay the track, Ian C Robinson and Peter A Leyland build all the buldings, Tony Reynolds and Vic Green  build all the Loco's,  Peter Marriot put in all the scenery, Peter Kern do all the brickwork, photograph it and photoshop it while I just sat back and dId bxxxer all !!!

Cheers.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes

Right gang, a proposed idea for a diorama, what do you think ?

Ignore the station, that's got nothing to do with it, although it will be sited on it's own diorama but made to be compatible with the one here but I've tried to position the Signal Box and the Goods Shed to their best viewing advantage - interesting elevation to the front.

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-75328600-1395859839_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-73106100-1395859850_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-95086200-1395859860_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-75550000-1395859872_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-10911400-1395859889_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

F.A.O Alan!

My Flemish bond. How do you say "pain in the backside" in Flemish?: pijn in de achterkant!!!!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Pete

Exquisite work as always Peter! Only three more walls to go? :angel:

Meanwhile Mister Downe's has recreated most of  the South-West and is heading up towards the Midlands via the old Grim, Wet and Rusty! :superman:

I don't know where Iain's got to. I only hope those Infernal Office Noddy's haven't chained him to the workbench again! Anyway, just in case - Volunteers for the rescue party Chaps? What ho and all that! :wild:

Regards

Bill

Ignore the station, that's got nothing to do with it, although it will be sited on it's own diorama but made to be compatible with the one here but I've tried to position the Signal Box and the Goods Shed to their best viewing advantage - interesting elevation to the front.

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifIDEAS FOR A DIORAMA 001.JPGattachicon.gifIDEAS FOR A DIORAMA 003.JPGattachicon.gifIDEAS FOR A DIORAMA 004.JPGattachicon.gifIDEAS FOR A DIORAMA 005.JPGattachicon.gifIDEAS FOR A DIORAMA 007.JPG

Goods shed is a bit close to the signal box because you probably couldn't turn a horse and wagon in the space which would have been a consideration when built but for space reasons we all have to compromise on this one. I'll defer to the more knowledgeable on this one.

Great buildings as ever and exactly what has happened to Robinson?

Goods shed is a bit close to the signal box because you probably couldn't turn a horse and wagon in the space which would have been a consideration when built but for space reasons we all have to compromise on this one. I'll defer to the more knowledgeable on this one.

Great buildings as ever and exactly what has happened to Robinson?

Hi Mullie, you're probably right about the restricted area in front of the goods shed but unlike the prototype, we haven't got the whole wide world as a baseboard - but if some guys can build the entire main line from London to Edingburgh in the box room, I'm sure the odd carthorse won't mind if it can't swing around in front of my goods shed !

Robinson's probably way out in the North Sea somewhere advising the oil folk suits and pointed shoes where to drill next and how much a model of the platform needed to drill for it will cost 'em  - I can see him  now - "Yup, about here ought to do it, loads down there, I can smell it... oh, and here's a swift oil rig I  built on the way up, like it ? Well that'll be a swift fifty  for starters, sign here... " !  

Cheers.

Allan.

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifIDEAS FOR A DIORAMA 001.JPGattachicon.gifIDEAS FOR A DIORAMA 003.JPGattachicon.gifIDEAS FOR A DIORAMA 004.JPGattachicon.gifIDEAS FOR A DIORAMA 005.JPGattachicon.gifIDEAS FOR A DIORAMA 007.JPG

An unsual yard lamp in the first photo!!!!!

Exquisite work as always Peter! Only three more walls to go? :angel:

Meanwhile Mister Downe's has recreated most of  the South-West and is heading up towards the Midlands via the old Grim, Wet and Rusty! :superman:

I don't know where Iain's got to. I only hope those Infernal Office Noddy's haven't chained him to the workbench again! Anyway, just in case - Volunteers for the rescue party Chaps? What ho and all that! :wild:

Regards

Bill

Thanks bill,

Just 2 walls to go; it's low relief!

Pete

• Like 1

Anybody else quote from Oklahoma and I'm off.

I once played in the band for a disastrous am dram production falling scenery, lights going out the full works!

Edited by mullie

Right guys, info wanted - GWR crossing gates.

How high were the actual gates ? any scale drawings would be highly appreciated, even a rough sketch with dimensions ( single track ) - I know you guys can do it when  ol' Al' is stuck !

Thanks.

Allan.

Hi Allan superb buildings,

I was just wondering about the lamp store being closer to the signal box and maybe what would it look like the other side of the Signal box with some PW junk to boot.

I feel it could also do with either a home or a shunting signal in there as well and would it be possible to add some lighting in the box and the good’s shed at this stage? The reason I say that, is I feel it could give a twilight feel to the diorama when the lights are low.

regards

Colin

Edited by Baldwin30762

Hi Allan superb buildings,

I was just wondering about the lamp store being closer to the signal box and maybe what would it look like the other side of the Signal box with some PW junk to boot.

I feel it could also do with either a home or a shunting signal in there as well and would it be possible to add some lighting in the box and the good’s shed at this stage? The reason I say that, is I feel it could give a twilight feel to the diorama when the lights are low.

regards

Colin

Thanks Colin.

Actually that is where I was considering placing the lamp hut as I did on the scene below.

Lighting is certainly a good idea but I don't trust my self with anything unseen that can hurl you across the room because you abused the principle that electrickery can kill you just for the hell of it !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-23261700-1395875255.jpg

• Like 9

Right guys, info wanted - GWR crossing gates.

How high were the actual gates ? any scale drawings would be highly appreciated, even a rough sketch with dimensions ( single track ) - I know you guys can do it when  ol' Al' is stuck !

Thanks.

Allan.

Have you had a look in those Downesplan's books Allan? That chap seems to know his business!

I found these two with a quick Google search which may help, the second one apparently in GWR (God! That hurt!) territory!

http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/00-app-5/halegate.jpg

http://www.wolfertonroyalstation.co.uk/image2/gate_plan.jpg

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

No problem Boss! It's something to boast to the grandkid's about, me assisting the esteemed Allan Downes!

Err! Does that mean I get to put "By Royal Appointment" after my name now?

Anyway! I've just been back and checked the site out at leisure and if anyone's interested there's a downloadable pdf of the crossing gates drawing here with enough dimensions and detail to make a rivet counter smile:

http://www.wolfertonroyalstation.co.uk/image2/gate_plan.pdf

Regards

Bill

PS: Note Wolferton is GER, not G*R as I posted earlier. Oops! And Allan thought he was having problems reading the little numbers! :scratchhead:

Edited by Mythocentric

The Wolferton gates are in effect by 'Royal appointment' as it was the station for the Sandringham estate still used by Royalty today. 

Fancy getting GER confused with GWR one is a railway whilst the other stands for "greasy wet and rusty."

It's ok I'm leaving!!!!

The Wolferton gates are in effect by 'Royal appointment' as it was the station for the Sandringham estate still used by Royalty today. 

Fancy getting GER confused with GWR one is a railway whilst the other stands for "greasy wet and rusty."

It's ok I'm leaving!!!!

A combination of late nights and steamed-up glasses mullie. Anyway, anything that wasn't built by the Lancashire and Yorkshire counts as 'forrin' so what do I know. (Not that I'm biased of course! Ahem!!! :angel: )

I only hope Allan doesn't have to send his gates to Her Majesty for her approval before he fits them! :scared:

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

A combination of late nights and steamed-up glasses mullie. Anyway, anything that wasn't built by the Lancashire and Yorkshire counts as 'forrin' so what do I know. (Not that I'm biased of course! Ahem!!! :angel: )

I only hope Allan doesn't have to send his gates to Her Majesty for her approval before he fits them! :scared:

Bill

Last I heard, the Queen bows to Allan!

Cor Blimey. That's torn it!! All letters to my representative Iain M Robinson. (Told you he'd twig it Robinson! Next time I want £15  :O )

Queen: A defunct pop group who may or may not be amused.

Regards

Worried of Morecambe :drag:

Edited by Mythocentric

Later, Woburn Abbey, the Duke's layout, the Queen's ducks, and me.

A serial in 94 parts on BBC Four. Cast as follows

Mr A Downes played by Brian Blessed

Mr. I Robinson played by.....answers on a post card please.

The Queen's stunt double will be played by Neville the corgi

Extras supplied by 'Sheep R Us'

The Queens Ducks.

It was one sunday afternoon while working on the Woburn layout back in the 70's when Liz, along withe the Marchioness of Tavistock and a really wonderful non pretentious lady, paid a surprise visit just as I was pulling my jumper over my head as the central heating had come on when I heard from behind.

"Hello"

Then turning with my jumper half pulled over my head revealing what could only be best described as a 'burst mattress' - my hair - there stood the Queen and seeing my predicament, stepped foreward to the edge of the layout where I was working on the village pond and remarked.

!I see you have no ducks young man, why not ?"

"Well Ma'm" not being sure how to address her I explained that you couldn't get four mil ducks to which she replied.

"Oh, then I shall see what can be done" then after walking around the rest of the layout she left.

So, about a week later the Woburn PA man hands over this beautiful box containing a family of heavy porcelean ducks compliments of HRH and Harrods.

Anyway, that night before I went back to the Sands Hotel ( I had 10 weeks to build the layout so stayed more or less on site ) I poured a good pint of thick fast setting resin into the 2 inch deep trough that was to be the pond, carefully placed the ducks on the top of the thick liquid then left.

However, next morning - disaster !! the ducks had sunk to the bottom of the pond and were imprisoned for eternity under two inches of rock hard resin!

Later, as the Marchioness called in on her rounds she asked.

"Ah, Mr Downes, did you get the ducks?

"Well yes Ma'm" trying to stall for time while I could come up with a convincing answer that would put every one else to blame excepting for myself but gave it up as a bad job and just blurted out.

"They've all drowned"

At which she replied after peering down into the pond.

"Ah well, there goes your knighthood Mr Downes" !!!

And here, the offending pond.

post-18579-0-74595900-1395959254.jpg

• Like 3