"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

• RMweb Premium

I like your windows. Scalelink?

I see what you mean about the corners on the buttresses. I tend to make the wall courses follow round the corner by using the same sheet though I appreciate this is expensive. It's also time-consuming as I use some filler & carve return courses into each join/corner edge. One possible quick(ish!) fix, could you touch in the 'raw' edges with Humbrol stone darkened with some matt black, then paint in some mortar courses with pale stone? 

I like your windows. Scalelink?

I see what you mean about the corners on the buttresses. I tend to make the wall courses follow round the corner by using the same sheet though I appreciate this is expensive. It's also time-consuming as I use some filler & carve return courses into each join/corner edge. One possible quick(ish!) fix, could you touch in the 'raw' edges with Humbrol stone darkened with some matt black, then paint in some mortar courses with pale stone? 

Not Scalink, cut out of 20thou styrene.

Cheers.

Allan

Not content with just being a master model maker, I see you have mastered the camera and the weather - superb photographs.

Cheers John

P.S. Because of what you used for the finials I expect fittings are falling off the family bathroom wall.

Allan, a word of advice if I may...... I am having a play with fire cement on a couple of 7mm buildings, and I hear rumour that over time it crumbles away to n'owt..... Does this echo your experience, or is the modern stuff pretty good?

On the end wall I did get some structural damage due to surface contraction - so (apart from plenty of internal reinforcement) I am 'countering' to use enamelling vernacular. I am applying fire clay on the inside surface as well, to balance it. The dodgy bit is that these walls are two thicknesses thick, so there is the possibility that this will simply separate the two..... We'll see. If that should prove to be the case, then the way to build will be countering a single thickness.

However, on the bright side, I am getting the result I wanted, with plenty of surface interest, and a nice porous surface. The natural colour is good too, so experimentation with staining etc. Is called for.

Quoins will be added later!

ACD1824C-770C-4A23-BDB0-CC4EC807D5AD_zps

ADA55CA3-EE87-4501-9A7E-6FB9E13FA150_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

Allan, a word of advice if I may...... I am having a play with fire cement on a couple of 7mm buildings, and I hear rumour that over time it crumbles away to n'owt..... Does this echo your experience, or is the modern stuff pretty good?

On the end wall I did get some structural damage due to surface contraction - so (apart from plenty of internal reinforcement) I am 'countering' to use enamelling vernacular. I am applying fire clay on the inside surface as well, to balance it. The dodgy bit is that these walls are two thicknesses thick, so there is the possibility that this will simply separate the two..... We'll see. If that should prove to be the case, then the way to build will be countering a single thickness.

However, on the bright side, I am getting the result I wanted, with plenty of surface interest, and a nice porous surface. The natural colour is good too, so experimentation with staining etc. Is called for.

Quoins will be added later!

ACD1824C-770C-4A23-BDB0-CC4EC807D5AD_zps

ADA55CA3-EE87-4501-9A7E-6FB9E13FA150_zps

Hi Giles.

To be quite honest, I don't use firecement anymore for the very reasons you mentioned - it can, and probably will, disintregate in time and when I built Tintagel Post Office I did so just for old times sake so as to speak but, these days I use any commercial plastic based product and namely Wills stone sheets.

However, I built a layout for Peco entirely out of fire cement over 35 years ago and they've still got it ! - but it is kept in a controlled environment which makes all the difference. Fire cement, which hasn't changed in it's formula over the years, just does not like damp conditions and that's why I stopped using it commercially.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Allan

Hi Giles

Sorry Alan if I'm pinching your thread but I thought you might like to see this model of the inn that is used on Great Tunsley Dale layout.

It was originally built in 1989 for a small to be exhibition layout which was not finished. It was then used on the exhibition layout Buxworth Sidings in 1992 and finally reused here in north Wales on GTD in 2007.

It is made from a balsa wood frame then coated in pva and allowed to dry and finally covered in Keen fire cement. Todate it is 26 years old and is still as sound as when it was first made. The only thing that I have done to it is repaint it when it was installed on GTD. There has never been any deterioration in the fire cement. .As far as I am aware Keen is no longer available so for many of my later models I have been using Daz.

Hope this is of some use.

Peter

post-6915-0-92198800-1444823163.jpg

post-6915-0-77513000-1444823167.jpg

PS

The coating I put on was about 3mm thick.

• Like 2

Possibly Keen's fire cement was of a better quality than what I used back then but yes, I have seen models built out of fire cement that have stood the test of tme ( a good 20 years, even more ) and here is an example albeit the colouring has faded. These models I believe are also at Peco.

BTW Peter, post as many pictures as you like. That's what forums are all about.  Just don't tell Robinson !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-95237600-1444854106.jpgpost-18579-0-85791900-1444854164.jpgpost-18579-0-95739100-1444854202.jpgpost-18579-0-41914800-1444854245.jpgpost-18579-0-08106300-1444854267.jpg

• Like 5

Possibly Keen's fire cement was of a better quality than what I used back then but yes, I have seen models built out of fire cement that have stood the test of tme ( a good 20 years, even more ) and here is an example albeit the colouring has faded. These models I believe are also at Peco.

BTW Peter, post as many pictures as you like. That's what forums are all about.  Just don't tell Robinson !

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gif1427_231354_270000000.jpgattachicon.gif1427_231350_350000000.jpgattachicon.gif1427_231352_220000000.jpgattachicon.gif1427_231355_310000000.jpgattachicon.gif1427_231356_450000000.jpg

Seen these many times and they still look good. Pecorama was a day out my daughters used to really enjoy though they have probably grown out of it now. Strangely enough we often spent my birthday there!

My 50th birthday was spent on Beer beach, a lovely place.

Lovely stuff, Allan - this is all very useful.

I shall carry on with plan A, as I very much like the effect, and if I have to re-do it in 20 years then so be it! I also love the ability to do things like create cills and things so easily by adding and carving the fire cement.

F5469C84-30CD-48F3-A638-61DB589FD465_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1