Class 87 / 91 Pantographs (Chinese Production)

Vonzack

Hi,

I have a Farish Virgin Class 87 and a GNER Class 91 and when the Pantographs are extended they are way too high and there doesn't seem to be any way to limit their movement.

Has anybody worked out a way to do this?

Cheers, Mark.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

A quick fix is to glue a fine bit of fishing line / mono filiament - I used an optic of a cheapy lamp . Glue to the arm below head and id to be fixed raised then glue to roof /or part of panto` frame below, best to fix pan clear of o/head contact wire - say 1-2mm so no chance of a snag.

If likely to be required to drop pan then perhaps thread is better. Have read of idea of knotting thread inside bodyshell and feeding through bodyshell and gluing where wanted. so slack easily accommodated inside shell. - might even work with momofilament if a "knot made by melting end a little and having a tightish hole so  friction fit to keep pan at right height.  

Hope this of use 

Robert

Thank you for the replies, I'll have to look at the Dapol replacements.

While looking at Roberts method, I think I've sorted mine by using a small piece of black plasticard 2mm x 2mm x .5mm and slotted it into the Pantograph mechanism ahead of the mounting screw. As the screw keeps the plasticard in place, there's no glue and it still allows the Pantograph to be stored when not in use or boxed.

Some pics:

Original Pantograph fully extended

post-11575-0-02978800-1366736035_thumb.jpg

Now with Plasticard inserted and extended

post-11575-0-96694100-1366736037_thumb.jpg

Mounted back on body

post-11575-0-89423900-1366736040_thumb.jpg

Collapsed ready for the box

post-11575-0-36839800-1366736043_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

The Dapol replacement pantographs make a big improvement to the looks of the 87/91.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Mark

Ive had a play about with these and have to say a bit disappointed. 

Currently working on a hybrid of the Farish base and lower arm, Single upper arm like the BWHSP and using parts from the Dapol BWHSP from the upper knuckle to the head.

Looking at making this posable not sprung as Id rather have a stronger single arm than something that looks off

Will post a pic later

Rgds

Mark

Quick pic, sorry for the quality, just used the phone

This is experimental and im still trying to figure out whether or not to remove the lower link arm and spring.

photo1.jpg

Archived