BR Mark 1 Scottish region Coaches

paulbb

I am getting some BR Scottish region mark1 's for a future layout. Currently I have

39-227D BCK in Crimson/cream number SC21017

39026H   SK in Maroon (Commonwealth bogies) number SC25861.

Neither of these numbers appear in illustrations in recent catalogues, nor are they in Bachmann's published lists-available as a PDF download from their site.

Are there any others like this, in these two clour schemes?

Scottish Region numbered Bachmann Mk1's seem almost as thin on the ground as rocking-horse dung.

I fear a little re-numbering may be needed as you have probably cornered the market already, apart 39-101C RU SC1941 in Maroon.

Well spotted David M, and  like the others 39101C is down in the catalogues as an Eastern one. I think you are right and the 3 above are the whole of the Scottish ones..so far.

Bachmann will perhaps do some more ....is this to encourage sales or a collectors market? I have met one or two people who do collect all their mark 1's -lets hope they have the storage space.

• RMweb Premium

Even allowing for movement around the BR fleet between regions over time I can't think of any other RTR ScR numbers having been issued so it's renumbering time ;)

In practice and from my observations as well as published illustrations not all Scottish trains used exclusively Sc-numbered stock anyway.  Mixed rakes with M or E-prefix Mk1s were common.  W or S much less so because they were at times in liveries not associated with Scotland - a choc/cream or green carriage would have stood out a mile north of the border though I understand they did make it on rare occasions.

Certain types only (so far as I am aware) appeared in Scotland such as the Mk1 BSOT.  Open brakes were never common and this small batch were equipped for trolley service of refreshments as well.  IIRC it was Sc9015 which was regularly attached to the overnight London - Fort William carriages at Glasgow to offer some sort of catering after the famed West Highland breakfast cars were withdrawn.

W or S much less so because they were at times in liveries not associated with Scotland - a choc/cream or green carriage would have stood out a mile north of the border though I understand they did make it on rare occasions.

Wasn't there a redistribution of certain types of MK1 stock from SR to cover the REP and TC conversions which might have displaced some green ones briefly?

Archived