Highley SVR

Andy Y

the footbridge is a bit of a shock when were used to the old picturesque Highley, however, the footbridge is quite original, so for me I dont mind that...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/Highley_footbridge.jpg

would have been great if they could have recreated the atmosphere of the coal sidings.

does anyone know where the collieries met the railway here?

Mike

the footbridge is a bit of a shock when were used to the old picturesque Highley, however, the footbridge is quite original, so for me I dont mind that...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/Highley_footbridge.jpg

would have been great if they could have recreated the atmosphere of the coal sidings.

Mike

I think what spoils the footbridge for me is that the original carried on across the lines and met the road on a higher elevation (i believe). The new one has a set of steps on the non-platform side and they seem to dominate the scene.

Steve

http://upload.wikime..._footbridge.jpg

Mike

The engine house is built on the site of colliery exchange sidings and there were others north of Highley at Alveley(?) Halt which was originally built for collierymen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The engine house is built on the site of colliery exchange sidings and there were others north of Highley at Alveley(?) Halt which was originally built for collierymen.

Hi

The site of the sidings at Alveley is now Highley Country Park halt, Alveley halt was just on the Bridgnorth side of the footpath that goes over in the middle of the s bend. I understand they were there until the mid 1970s and there are stories of trains using them (for filming)

There was of course another set of sidings just round the corner from Highley. They were where the line from the Bilinsley Colliery came in. If you look carefully jsut on Borle viaduct you can just see where the line went off. There was a 26 lever box, loop and 2 siddings. However I seam to remember they went out of use in the 1940s and as far as I know no photo of the box or sidings has ever come to light.

Im not sure what the sidings at the mileage yard at Higley looked like, but at least there is a little bit in the Engine house about the colliery. Apparently it is now included with the price of a full line ticket so more might take a look at it. It may look like a Tescos extra, but it it does a good job.

Kind regards

• RMweb Premium

I visited the SVR back in the summer and have to say I thought that the engine house was a very good facility as without it the SVR lacks a facility to display its out of traffic locomotives (and carriages etc). These days as unfortunate as it is, many heritage railways are having to close off access to their engine sheds to the public to obtain the necessary insurance. (One railway had to close access to their yard after a visitor was ???reluctantly persuaded by the likes of ???the national accident helpline??? to sue the railway for damages after the visitor tripped on a sleeper and sustained medical injuries). Also the displays about the formation of the SVR were also a nice touch and provide a useful introduction to the general public who do not have the necessary background knowledge. Yes the building itself may be very modern, but due to its location away from the station proper, I didn??™t feel it affected Higleys charm. For many railways its unavoidable but the construction of modern visitor facilities, even if they are in period style, can end up making the stations of heritage railways look somewhat cramped and overpowered by buildings something the engine house helps prevent. Finally the footbridge in my opinion was a must, especially with the engine house open as it would only have been a mater of time before someone rushing for a train tried to beat it, slipped on the crossing and, well failed. Horribly.

Many years ago I had the privilege of spending an evening on the steps of Highley signal box during an Autumn steam gala. With the site blanketed by darkness, save for the platform lamps, the station and signal box and the glow of the passing engines, it was very atmospheric. Standing there with the sounds of box working beside me, nobody about and the occasional intrusion of the passing trains, you could have been in the 1930's!

Whenever i have visited the line since my viewpoint has been tainted, firstly by the mess of caravans and shanty towns bordering parts of it, secondly by the heavy cutting back of vedgitation which has exposed the non nineteenth century views, thirdly after finding out that Highley has the envious title of being 'one of britians toughest towns' and not for the best of reasons! and finally upon seeing the Poirot locomotive Hotel at Highley which taints the view further. A brilliant idea, a great facility, in an out of charachter building!

Now don't get me wrong, i love the SVR and go whenever practicable, however i tend now to swap between opposite corridor end doors to keep the best view, and better still visit when there is night running.. travelling in the dark!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst sorting out the fall-out of our recent house move I found this photo taken of the remains of Alveley Colliery sidings from a SVR train heading south towards Highley. It was taken 15/4/1978

I believe the sidings were being lifted piecemeal, as required, by the SVR PW for repairs to the running lines.

post-6748-12642715946635_thumb.jpg

Archived