Quarry Hunslet

rhydddu009

Hi everyone,

garry D100's posts here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=44277&hilit=quarry were excellent, but these have not appeared yet on the new site..

I would just like to add that I have a blog about progress on my quarry hunslet here:

http://16mm-ng.blogspot.com/

Whilst I'm at it, does anyone have any experience of the motor's (I swapped my motor in an older kit for the more powerful faulhaber 2030 from slaters) performance, especially under remote control? I have heard that 9v is not enough and you really need 12v. This is going to be almost impossible to get in the boiler though, so would a PP3 battery (9v) do?

[image below of my creation]

Cheers Colin

post-3701-12625980900681_thumb.jpg

Have you tried running the motor on a pp3? wouldnt think this would run for long ,not a lot of current in a pp3 Normally should run on 9v ,just runs slowly which is what you want in this scale .What about a group of nimh in series (where ever you can get them)and an unobtrusive charging jack? Normally I Go for a 8 cell Nimh 2 amp battery gives a decent run on a full charge. The only other option is to put the battery in a wagon phil

That's a lovely piece of work, Colin - I really want a Quarry Hunslet, but they're next-to-impossible in 009 and I've no room for anything in 16mm, which is a shame... plus, my girlfriend would kill me if I bought anything else at the moment...

I'll be having a browse of your Rhyd Ddu blog once I'm not in work too smile.gif

Thanks for the nice comments.

I will try a 9v pp3 and see how it goes. I did get a big 3300mAh 12v pack, but was surprised at the weight! Size-wise it would have to be in a wagon, so was just wondering if a smaller battery would do the job.

It's a joy to built engines in this scale. The detail is fantastic and I have to say that the quality of the castings and turnings are first rate. I have a 16mm De Winton to have a go at next!

Cheers Colin

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

garry D100's posts here: http://www.rmweb.co....77&hilit=quarry were excellent, but these have not appeared yet on the new site..

Thanks for the reference Colin.

I have not done much for a while with mine and you are further on than I am.

I was not sure if I should resurect a new thread, but I do have all the photos still etc.

Would it be useful to create another thread of my build, progress can be slow lol.

I have got to the point where a bit of priming is required and the weather has not been viable to be airbrushing in the shed.

Yours is looking good though biggrin.gif

I have a 16mm De Winton to have a go at next!

So have I , and Prince, oh and another Hunselt lol

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Im thinking of purchasing a Slaters Prince can you advise me if they are easy to build and are value for money.

I have one of these ready to build after the Quarry Hunslet I am currently working on.

Easy to build? Depends on your experience at building kits, soldering etc.

Slaters kits do go together very well, my advice as with all kits, get plenty of photos, drawings and information that you can for the period you are setting the model in.

I found with the Hunslet there were parts of the instructions that were a bit vague. So I went out and took my own pictures of the loco to clarify.

Value for money, well they are expensive but you get everything you need except paint etc.

Considering the quality of the parts and etches I would say they are very good value for money.

Im a bit unsure of the resin components are they ok.

Excellent quality I would say. Crisp and very little needed to finish off before fitting

Heres some pics of the resin components in the Hunslet kit.

post-7026-12658868848518_thumb.jpg

post-7026-12658868877176_thumb.jpg

Can these locos be handled alright or are they delicate..

Like all kits (and RTR) care is always needed when handling these things.

Though in the bigger scales the detailing is much stronger.

The intricate parts on the Hunslet are lost wax brass mainly and are very strong.

But like everything , if not treated with care, things will happen :-)

HTH in some way.

Garry

PS

Maybe its time to resurect my Hunslet thread biggrin.gif

I have one of these ready to build after the Quarry Hunslet I am currently working on.

Easy to build? Depends on your experience at building kits, soldering etc.

Slaters kits do go together very well, my advice as with all kits, get plenty of photos, drawings and information that you can for the period you are setting the model in.

I found with the Hunslet there were parts of the instructions that were a bit vague. So I went out and took my own pictures of the loco to clarify.

Value for money, well they are expensive but you get everything you need except paint etc.

Considering the quality of the parts and etches I would say they are very good value for money.

Excellent quality I would say. Crisp and very little needed to finish off before fitting

Heres some pics of the resin components in the Hunslet kit.

post-7026-12658868848518_thumb.jpg

post-7026-12658868877176_thumb.jpg

Like all kits (and RTR) care is always needed when handling these things.

Though in the bigger scales the detailing is much stronger.

The intricate parts on the Hunslet are lost wax brass mainly and are very strong.

But like everything , if not treated with care, things will happen :-)

HTH in some way.

Garry

PS

Maybe its time to resurect my Hunslet thread biggrin.gif

#

Thanks for the pics the detailing is superb. I wondered if the smoke box in the Prince kit you have is hollowed out and how thick the casting was.!!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the pics the detailing is superb. I wondered if the smoke box in the Prince kit you have is hollowed out and how thick the casting was.!!

If I can find the kit I'll take a pic for you.

The Hunslet smokebox is solid, but cannot remember if Prince is the same.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps some one can explain where I am going wrong here?

The picture is from Slaters CD and clearly shows stops for both the assembled axleboxes, however the etch only has stops on one axle. Am I missing something? Something has to go in there or it is very nose heavy!!

hunslet-1.jpg

Many thanks

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps some one can explain where I am going wrong here?

The picture is from Slaters CD and clearly shows stops for both the assembled axleboxes, however the etch only has stops on one axle. Am I missing something? Something has to go in there or it is very nose heavy!!

hunslet-1.jpg

Many thanks

Roger

Hi Roger,

I have finished mine... http://16mm-ng.blogspot.com/2010/03/done.html - with the axleboxes unaltered. One has a stop, the other doesn't. The front axle has a compensation beam and small wheel which you will get to later in the kit and this explains the difference between the two.

Good luck!

Colin

Hi Roger,

I have finished mine... http://16mm-ng.blogspot.com/2010/03/done.html - with the axleboxes unaltered. One has a stop, the other doesn't. The front axle has a compensation beam and small wheel which you will get to later in the kit and this explains the difference between the two.

Good luck!

Colin

Many thanks Colin I should read ahead. The only thing is my kit does not have the pully wheel on the non motored axle. However I have tried it and it sits at the right height on the beam without it. Perhaps there has been a modification to do without the wheel? how long ago did you purchase your kit?

Cheers

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Colin I should read ahead. The only thing is my kit does not have the pully wheel on the non motored axle. However I have tried it and it sits at the right height on the beam without it. Perhaps there has been a modification to do without the wheel? how long ago did you purchase your kit?

Cheers

Roger

Yes it was a while ago, so maybe they have changed it. oh well as long as it sits level then it's happy days. Colin

So nice to see your completed model and how well turned out it was at Stoneleigh. The weathering was brilliant as though it had just been transported from the quarry. Well done!

thank you very much, that means a lot to me.

I made a video of the loco running:

Cheers Colin

Archived