North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

• RMweb Gold

That's an ingenious solution to wiring the elevating section Anthony, quite reminiscent of how they used to wire up Lifts (Elevators).

I'm thoroughly enjoying following this thread, such a breathtaking project, and yet you seem to be well on top of it despite your enforced absences.

Great stuff,

Al.

Dear Al,

Thanks for the post. I agree with your assessment of my technique for weighting the wire. It is similar to an elevator system, although while we were doing it I had not thought about that. It seem good ideas are usually adaptions of existing ones!! 

Photos of the latest hidden track area I have been working on. The ability to take good photos of ling stretches is difficult is I have experimented with the photos. 

Loop at the bottom of the layout on the right side looking up the layout. This is the bottom loop with only the yard throat to be underneath this track area.

post-15340-0-67657400-1471256192.jpg

post-15340-0-44026200-1471256234.jpg

Looking down the layout from the other end

post-15340-0-87398200-1471256239.jpg

Panographic views of the right side hidden track areas. You can make out the 4 levels of track, particularly on the second of the panographic photos. Most of the hidden track has been laid but some more to go. You can make out an end which is just hanging on the left fore ground area. I shall connect the yard throat to this track area. Once I have finished the hidden track area dione so far I can focus on the scenic area for a bit of a break. I have to put in about 80n points for the 2 yards required. 

post-15340-0-82231400-1471256250.jpg

post-15340-0-64985700-1471256259.jpg

post-15340-0-37104900-1471256268.jpg

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Simon,

Thank you very much for the link to the footage. I rushed to the site with delight and a growing sense of expectation, and was very excited to see the opening shot, then the reality of my outcast location in Australia became readily apparent , as I am unable to play the footage from my location. Very disappointing. I have become a member of BFI but found I could play none of the material on their site. What is happening to the British Empire and the sanctity of Commonwealth!!!!!. Does Australia not share a common history and the same monarch as Britain as our head of state. We seem to have some of the costs with few of the benefits!!!!!!!

My loyalty to the "ye olde" country has taken a severe hit with the inability to access this critical example of historical British archival footage possibly essential to my accurate modelling of the Chester - Holyhead line. Nevertheless I shall battle on with an accurate representation of this line and may contact BFI to see if I can get access to the said footage from a lost colonial outpost of the empire.

Thanks again Simon I shall see what I can do.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley      

Edited by Anthony Ashley

Thank you for your post Your post is one I have been considering for some time. I have been looking around for the best camera for an N gauge layout, but not really sure what the best option is. I think I would require a flat wagon being pushed at the front of a loco to maximise the recording. 

Has anyone done this for an N gauge layout? Certainly I have seen this done for OO or HO scale. Has anyone any recommendations for the best camera?.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• 3 weeks later...

TRIP HOMEAND AND WIRING

I am looking to have a 5 day week end at home during the start of Oct. During this time I should stick down all of the cork and get the track and droppers laid during this period. I have not decided if I need to run separate bus lines for each level of the dog bone or just power them up with one. The advantage of separate bus lines from the same power zone is in being able to switch off each line  using a double throw switch and then turn on one at a time within the power zone to fault find. The dog bone loop is basically FIVE levels of mainly just a pair of track with a reversing loop and 2 passing loops on the top level of the dog bone. The loops are 20 foot long by 6 feet wide. Perhaps having just the top level on one bus line with the next 4 paired into 2 pairs of 2 up to the yard area, given the extra track on the top level. What do you think in terms of the options? 

No one has come up with options for an N gauge on board camera, any ideas. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley

TRIP HOMEAND AND WIRING

I am looking to have a 5 day week end at home during the start of Oct. During this time I should stick down all of the cork and get the track and droppers laid during this period. I have not decided if I need to run separate bus lines for each level of the dog bone or just power them up with one. The advantage of separate bus lines from the same power zone is in being able to switch off each line  using a double throw switch and then turn on one at a time within the power zone to fault find. The dog bone loop is basically FIVE levels of mainly just a pair of track with a reversing loop and 2 passing loops on the top level of the dog bone. The loops are 20 foot long by 6 feet wide. Perhaps having just the top level on one bus line with the next 4 paired into 2 pairs of 2 up to the yard area, given the extra track on the top level. What do you think in terms of the options? 

No one has come up with options for an N gauge on board camera, any ideas. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Hi Anthony,

Just a quick question, are you using any power protection / circuit breakers on the layout?

I have one of those between the boosters (I have 5) and each section of the layout.

You wouldn't have to bother with the DPDT switches. It sounds like a DC solution.

Regards

Rodney

Rodney,

Each of the power zones has its own booster with each individual booster shutting down if there is a short. They are ESU boosters. which will shut down on an individual basis if a short arises in that booster area. The switches further subdivide the booster power zone to make fault finding easier. For instance no more that perhaps 6 points off each switch. For instance I have 34 points in each of the 2 fiddle yards with 5 switches to cover that power zone. Given the very large size of the layout this should make fault finding relatively easy. The question is how many switches to put in. The more added the more wiring but the simpler to fault find.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley   

Edited by Anthony Ashley

Actually, there are LOTS of ultra-small cameras available, (start with eBay, it's scary what is available for "security") but you'd probably want one that includes either the SD card to record the video, or a Bluetooth transmitter, allowing you to record on an off-board system, such as an iPad or laptop.

There was a Japanese system fitted to an N gauge model on you tube some years back, but I have no idea where to find it.

HTH

Simon

Anthony

Just found this in a thread on the Railways of Wales forum - fab if you haven't seen it:

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-conway-castle-panoramic-view-of-conway-on-the-l-nw-railway-1898/

Best

Simon

Fantastic footage Simon.

Sorry Anthony, I appreciate you can't view it, but I hope that they get their fingers out and allow you the pleasure of watching it.

Anthony, I've viewed this topic many times and followed it for a couple of years now, and you are capturing the area that I live in and have been brought up in very well indeed. I live about 19 miles away from Conwy (or Conway as it was spelt in BR 1960's days), and your rendition of the castle is superb. Considering you are on the other side of the planet, this is even more fantastic. Keep up the good work, and I will keep watching. If you need any pictures, etc, just speak up, I'm not far away from the areas you're modelling, and I will endeavor to capture what I can for you.

Jinty ;)

Simon,

I looked at the link to the mini cam and thought it looked amazing. Agree a wi fi link would be the best. Need more research on this topic, but thanks for the guidance it was really useful. I contacted the BFI and asked if something could be done to provide a link to the Conwy clip, given I am in Australia. They were unhelpful which is disappointing.

David I appreciate your offer for photos. I have asked a few RM Web members to take photos and they have been very helpful. There are parts of the castle which I may need more photos, particularly the entrance area which is not very well photographed from my research. It is useful to have a few offers given my distance from Wales.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley

Simon,

I looked at the link to the mini cam and thought it looked amazing. Agree a wi fi link would be the best. Need more research on this topic, but thanks for the guidance it was really useful. I contacted the BFI and asked if something could be done to provide a link to the Conwy clip, given I am in Australia. They were unhelpful which is disappointing.

David I appreciate your offer for photos. I have asked a few RM Web members to take photos and they have been very helpful. There are parts of the castle which I may need more photos, particularly the entrance area which is not very well photographed from my research. It is useful to have a few offers given my distance from Wales.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Hi Anthony,

I'll try and get over there on Sunday as I'm off and I need to go to Maplins in Llandudno, so I'll pop over to Conwy and take a few snaps for you.

Jinty ;)

Simon,

I am really looking forward to completing the hidden track rail laying because then I can commence the scenic area, which should be a lot more interesting. I quite like gadgets so a tiny camera is a must. The BFI is annoying but I have got advice that should facilitate my access!!

David thanks for the offer as it is very generous. Look forward to whatever you are able to shoot. Thankyou again for the offer.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

LAYOUT UPDATE

Dear All,

Nothing by way of photos but good progress over the 5 days leave. I managed to stick all of the remaining cork for the hidden track on the right side of the layout paint it, and then lay all of the track with droppers. This amounts to about 50 feet of paired tracks.

I still need to wire this track to bus lines. I think I shall use 4 pairs of bus lines for the area to assist with fault finding ie 2 to the top of the layout and 2 down the layout for the dog bone loops.

This means that I have completed all of the hidden track on the layout except for the 2X 8 foot 34 track fiddle yards. These will obviously take a fair amount of time but something I can leave till after the scenic track. 

I shall be at home again at the end of Oct for more leave so hope to complete the wiring for the area just laid.

David did you manage to get any shots of Conwy castle?

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley

LATEST PURCHASES

Dear All,

I invested in some model train electronic equipment a few days ago. Got my last 4 Amp power booster. That makes 7 boosters with the ECoS 2 train controller providing the eight power zone. I hove one power zone for Conwy, one for Penmaenmawr, 2 for Bangor (mainline and goods yard), 1 for each of the hidden tracks on either side on the layout and the final 2 for the 2 storage yards. That should do the trick.

I also bought 2 Lenz LK 200 reverse loop modules for the 2 reverse loops on the top level of each hidden track.

The last was 10 ESU switch Pilot servos decoders for another 40 points. I still need to but a lot more but steady purchases will conserve the budget.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley 

• Like 1

David,

I am in no rush so when you have time would be great. I am looking at the castle in 1960 so the most recent changes to the entrance will not be relevant. I think the path to the castle wound its way up a hill from the Conwy side of the castle.

Any photos will be great so thanks again.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Dear All,

I think the exchange rate for the Australian versus the GBP is such the I should buy the remaining 50 or so points as I am concerned that prices will rise with the devaluation of the GBP. Probably will buy tomorrow night. It is always hard to judge the best time though with all of the competing issues.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley 

Dear All,

Home again this week end from Thu to Tue so 4 days to model. Hopefully enough time to complete all of the wiring for the track laid a couple of weeks ago with terminal strips and outputs to the power bus lines. I think I shall divide the 4 levels of dog bone loops into 2 areas controlled by the the double pole switches. The higher area will have the return loop and a pair of passing or storage loops for each track. The lower area is only paired flexi track with no points. I just have to make sure the sections are all named correctly, continuing the upper level naming already completed.

I have started building the Bangor goods shed using the scale scenes engine shed with the triangular roof line. The model shown is 2 or 4 bays in size but the one in Bangor is 15. It  means a lot of repetitive cutting folding and gluing. Not difficult but very slow. The scale building is an exact replica of the prototype so should produce a very accurate effect. Photos to follow.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley  

• Like 1

LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

Another long week end at home meant that I was able to successfully wire up about 2/3 of the hidden track on the right side of the layout. I have run a loco over all of the right side hidden track on up to the wiring ceasing and it all runs well with no issues. I think with another week end at home I should be able to finish. I have 2 I/2 week ends coming up over the next month and then Christmas leave. By Christmas I should be back onto doing scenic areas for the first time in over 12 months!!  I am looking forward to doing at least some scenery.

Unfortunately the foundation of the layout must be correct and run or there is no point in doing the more interesting bits.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Dear All,

A long time between posts with a frantically busy end to the work year, the first part of my holidays in Brisbane but then return to Sydney for New Years Eve. Good developments in that time including  finishing all of the wiring for the hidden track on the right side of the layout (Bangor). The hidden track on the other side has already been completed. I am waiting for my daughter to post a video of a 17 coach train running on the new section.     

Once having completed this section I have completed the vertical supports for the Penmaenmawr section. Photos of this work are enclosed.

First photos shows the supports cut but not installed. The shape of the board matches the landscape.

post-15340-0-68442800-1483399350_thumb.jpg

This board features a hill on which the Penmaenmawr Grand Hotel still stood in the 60s. Since been knocked down and 5 or 6 houses now stand in the area.

post-15340-0-30747300-1483399593_thumb.jpg

View of the same board from the other side.

post-15340-0-38953300-1483399601_thumb.jpg

The track support area for half of Penmaenmawr looking back to Conwy. 

post-15340-0-71613400-1483399610_thumb.jpg

I shall do photos of all of the supports installed. After that I shall cut the rest of the Penmaenmawr track support and cut the last scenic divider for Bangor/Penmaenmawr. This will incorporate part of the mountain next to Penmaenmawr so will be very tall. I think I shall make the mountain using posts and small gauge chicken wire to sculpt the contours. The part of the mountain being modelled is about 1.2 high. Any ideas for its construction technique. All thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 4