BR Standard 4 2-6-0

34theletterbetweenB&D

Having taken the opportunity to buy one s/h from a member here (thanks!), fitting a decoder proved to be fun this weekend. Searching this site for guidance didn't find anything to assist in removing body from chassis, nor in removing the ballast weight from within the boiler.

Bachmann helpfully tell you where the body securing screws are, but are decidedly coy about how to deal with the pipework connection between body and chassis: the representations of the injectors are attached to the chassis, and the pipework from the body is apparently permanently connected. I levered the bracket which carries the injectors out of the chassis, and bent the ensemble to clear as the chassis came out. The reverser drive shaft, shown on the diagram attached to the chassis, proved to be located loose into a deep pocket in the footplate underside and came free as body and chassis separated.

There is more than enough space for a Lenz decoder in the smokebox and boiler, though Bachmann suggest removing the boiler mounted ballast to make installing a decoder easier. I wanted the ballast out so that the exposed surfaces could be covered with insulating tape. Undid the two screws holding it: no way was it coming out via the firebox void in which the motor and gear train locates. It clearly had originally gone in through the smokebox front; so the weight was employed as a hammer to knock the smokebox front moulding out. Taped up, replaced, decoder inserted, smokebox door tack cemented back in position, chassis reinserted, job done.

Decent looking model which runs and pulls very well. The final adjustment was to get the tender coupled on at scale distance, as provided for on the loco to tender drawbar. About two thirds of the length of the moulded on intermediate buffers had to go to enable this with enough freedom for a 30" minimum radius. With these mouldings wholly removed I should think it might manage set track radii.

Archived