If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 47/8 "long range" diesel?

sub39h

Hi guys,

I bought the constituent parts of a Class 47 off eBay to make a 47 835 "Windsor Castle" in I/C Swallow livery. It will come with the wrong box, so I decided I'd print up a label with the correct information on it for my records. 

I was googling for some more information when I came across this link from Hatton's that calls this model a "long range" diesel? 

It appears that the chassis I have bought is from a 47/4 rather than the correct 47/8. What are the differences between them? I have not the slightest clue about the 47 so very little idea where to begin or what to look for. 

Is there anywhere I can buy chassis parts from so I can mod this one to be correct? Or would it be better to buy a new Bachmann 47 "Fire Fly" and swap bodies and get shot of what I've bought?

Thanks

What is the base model you currently have?

Class 47/8 locos were sub-classed to make it easier to identify those fitted with a long-range fuel tank
There are three types of long-range fuel tanks fitted to Class 47 locos

In the case of 47835 it was renumbered on the fitting of a secondary fuel tank at the Number 2 end
This is the smaller version
It is located between the battery boxes
This can be seen here, at the battery boxes further away (under the INTERCITY logo)  :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/8562141416/ 

As an aside, I am modelling in N gauge, and there are various chassis
The latest Class 47 has two types
The standard Class 47 (47535) and the long-range fuel tank (47474)

Here is 47474 with a converted water tank :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/8562141190/in/photostream/ 
It appears this is the preferred version used by the manufacturers, as this allows a larger weight to be fitted
A few other locos had this type, so it does pay to refer to reference photos

I'm wondering if a smarter way to go would be to model a 47/4 that was painted in Swallow colours

I am no longer familiar with the Bachmann range, so which base model do you currently have

You could consider a 47/4 in INTERCITY livery, but equally some of those were fitted with long-range fuel tanks

Again, look at reference photos once you have your shortlist

Equally, don't forget about the flush ends on some Class 47 locos (and the base model if appropriate)

thanks for the above. in the end using the website above I decided that renaming the body to 47509 "Albion" (a Class 47/4) would be a better option than trying to make the chassis into a 47/8. "Albion" is the only loco that carried the full Swallow livery in my chosen time period.

Thanks everyone. 

• RMweb Premium

Although you seem to have changed your mind about the choice of loco, in case you or anyone else is wondering, the shortly to be released Bachmann 47834, although in the correct livery, would NOT be suitable for conversion/renumber to 47835 becuase of another difference to look out for.

47834 Firefly is a "crewe cut" version (cut back buffer beam) whereas 47835 Windsor Castle is not - see the two alongside each other here: http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0641050000210

Archived