1980s Freightliner / Container trains

hoffers

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out which manufacturer produces the best models for a mid-80s Freightliner / container train. I used to see these trains trundling through Stratford / Ripple Lane and always wanted to model one of them.

The Bachmann intermodal containers look too modern and the old Triang/Hornby freightliner flats lack a bit of detail. Any advice/opinion would be welcomed.

Thanks

Tony

HI Tony

The KFA was a new wagon in the mid to late 80s, as for containers that can be harder as predominantly it was the square ribbed ones although the current type were coming in by then.

The 30ft Bulks were from then as well and in the yellow IFF I think.

Regards Arran

For the containers them selves, the old Hornby/Triang boxes represent 8ft high boxes and are very basic. Modern model boxes are 8ft6in high but the design and ribs doesn't match the 80s style for these so customisation would be needed either way. There's a lot more variation in box type and design back in the 80s than there is today.

For the wagons you're looking at FFA/FGA bogie flats in that period. 2 options depending on ability/budget/radius of corners on your layout are the Colin Craig kit:

http://colincraig4mm.co.uk/#/ffafga-kit/4532599037

which makes a very accurate model but is more expensive and limited on what radius curves it can handle.

The other option is improving the old basic Hornby/Triang flats. I'm currently working through an S-kits pack to improve the look of mine. They still won't finish up looking as good as the Colin Craig option but are considerably more affordable for those on a budget and can tackle tighter corners easily. And at the end, a good paint job can help hide a multitude of sins!

HTH

For the containers them selves, the old Hornby/Triang boxes represent 8ft high boxes and are very basic. Modern model boxes are 8ft6in high but the design and ribs doesn't match the 80s style for these so customisation would be needed either way. There's a lot more variation in box type and design back in the 80s than there is today.

For the wagons you're looking at FFA/FGA bogie flats in that period. 2 options depending on ability/budget/radius of corners on your layout are the Colin Craig kit:

http://colincraig4mm.co.uk/#/ffafga-kit/4532599037

which makes a very accurate model but is more expensive and limited on what radius curves it can handle.

The other option is improving the old basic Hornby/Triang flats. I'm currently working through an S-kits pack to improve the look of mine. They still won't finish up looking as good as the Colin Craig option but are considerably more affordable for those on a budget and can tackle tighter corners easily. And at the end, a good paint job can help hide a multitude of sins!

HTH

Hi

I'm not too fussed about the container aspect because I used to like seeing a loco hauling just the flats without any containers onboard. Not sure I want to go down the etched kit route but interested by your reference to S-kits pack on the old Hornby model.

Which pack do I need?

Hi

I'm not too fussed about the container aspect because I used to like seeing a loco hauling just the flats without any containers onboard. Not sure I want to go down the etched kit route but interested by your reference to S-kits pack on the old Hornby model.

Which pack do I need?

There's a link in my signature covering my slow progress with the kits.

Unfortunately they're not available online, it took me a long time to find/get an S-Kits price list (He does a lot of good stuff actually) and it's an order by post job. PM me if you'd like the lists and order forms, can't say how accurate the prices are so it's worth emailing him first. It's product CC1 you'd need.

For me I would go down the add the detail I need route

Scratch build if necessary the hard stuff (plastic detail) is easier to add than try to reverse engineer more modern wagons

Even Brake piping is relatively easy to add using 1mm x 0.5mm disk magnets 

as for boxes they are probably the easiest to find there are HUGE numbers out there and if the details wrong you can always revert to scratch building then you have the pleasure of knowing you have the detail level you need.

Early 90's we went through a time of just running around empty, liner trains running along the GE empty. Believe that spaces on the trains were bought but with no goods to carry BR ran them anyway, remember one with a 47 from Parkeston all empty except one short container at the very back!

Early 90's we went through a time of just running around empty, liner trains running along the GE empty. Believe that spaces on the trains were bought but with no goods to carry BR ran them anyway, remember one with a 47 from Parkeston all empty except one short container at the very back!

I keep thinking of letting some trains go on Warren Lane like that with just 1 box at the end, but it never quite looks right. I know there's prototype for it but i still give in and remove the last box and send back empty just incase punters start questioning it!

I keep thinking of letting some trains go on Warren Lane like that with just 1 box at the end, but it never quite looks right. I know there's prototype for it but i still give in and remove the last box and send back empty just incase punters start questioning it!

Last night I worked 4S47 to Coatbridge with Tank Containers sitting in the middle of the megafrets (6 tanks) then a massive empty gap followed by UBC containers, a 9 foot 6 airbrake. In model form I reckon that may look good

Last night I worked 4S47 to Coatbridge with Tank Containers sitting in the middle of the megafrets (6 tanks) then a massive empty gap followed by UBC containers, a 9 foot 6 airbrake. In model form I reckon that may look good

The WL megafret train is a string of 3 pairs so some compressing may be needed. Closest we'd get would probably be 2 tanktainers, 2 gap, 2 UBC containers. We just need another tanktainer and 2 UBC containers to do that!

But getting a little O/T there.

Not a good picture for quality but one for posterity!

post-8225-0-19396900-1367572023.jpg

This is early 90's and having put a 47 on the front a Stratford Driver takes a Ipswich bound liner via the West Anglia. The front two flats are loaded with two containers (a long and a short) but the rest is empty.

Archived