Allendale Branch Line

DelticDave

Hi I am currently modelling the Allendale Terminus circa 1920-1930 and I am wondering what kind of locos would have been running the line. The locos running it may have been based at Hexham and I have been told that G5s and J21 - J27 would have been prevalent I also have a photo showing a J94 Austerity saddle tank loco sitting at the station circa 1950. Can anyone tell me exactly what locos would have been running that line. or tell me if i can download any info on the subject. I am assuming that the majority would have been based at Hexham, but I also think some could have been from Blaydon or as far afield as Gateshead. I am looking at buying locos for the Layout but i would like them to be relevant to that line . I have a J72  and a J94

Thanks in advance

DelticDave 

Just to avoid any confusion, I'm sure you will be aware that a J94 wouldn't have been seen until circa 1946 and the first true Austerity 0-6-0T wasn't built until 1943.

Alun

• 3 weeks later...

Have you read G Whittle's book on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway (David and Charles 1979)?  There is a chapter on the branch that doesn't specifically mention the locos but does describe the coaches in use in 1910 as...."...elliptical-roofed two bogie carriages lighted by electricity (and not the usual gas)."

There is also a famous photo taken in NER days with a passenger train having just arrived at Catton Road hauled by NER tank loco 423 (which was an NER A class 2-4-2T).

Have you had a look round the 'garden station at Langley??

http://www.thegardenstation.co.uk/

Well worth the trouble to stop off for a cup of tea and 'wedge' of home made cake...and if you cross the road and search behind the village hall you'll find the original coal drops...

Cheers

Duncan

• 2 months later...

Hi,

You can guess I have a special interest in this by my username!! Basically, I live near Allendale station. In fact I can see it from my house.

Have you got any pictures of your progress? I would love to see the finished article!

During LNER days, J21 & G5's ran on the branch and then J94's after the passenger trains ceased in 1930. There is some photos in one of the local pubs of the station showing an earlier class but as it was the turn of the last century Im not sure what it is. My grandfather used to load the trains with milk from the farms back in the late 1940's.

I have always wanted to model Allendale as if it survived into the BR Blue era but my scenic skills are not great.

Keep us updated on this one!

Cheers

• 6 months later...

Archived