Abandoned Old Oak Common Depot

Saddletank

Thought this would be the best place to leave this link. Pretty sure this site must have come up in the past because its a wealth of information, not least for railway structures (they like tunnels especially).

I just wonder at how so many diesels can sit there rotting away, as though they just downed tools on whatever they were working on when the depot closed its facilities. Surely some preservation groups would jump at the chance to take on items?

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/other-sites/9303-17-2-07-old-oak-common-traction-maintenance-depot-nw-london-part-2-a.html

• RMweb Gold

Thought this would be the best place to leave this link. Pretty sure this site must have come up in the past because its a wealth of information, not least for railway structures (they like tunnels especially).

I just wonder at how so many diesels can sit there rotting away, as though they just downed tools on whatever they were working on when the depot closed its facilities. Surely some preservation groups would jump at the chance to take on items?

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/other-sites/9303-17-2-07-old-oak-common-traction-maintenance-depot-nw-london-part-2-a.html

And of course it's now all swept away (except the Pullman shed) and busy making con crete sections for CrossRail.

Fascinating stuff!

Going off topic and with regard to "preservation groups" there's a flickr site that I'm drawn to.  What I can say is that if you have limitless resources, a pretty remarkable collection could be built up fairly quickly.  There in lies the problem!  With some very notable exceptions, heritage railways rely on working locomotives and rolling stock to remain in existence.  There's enough rotting hulks dotted around waiting in vain for a rich benefactor - I've recently been reminded of the Austerity 2-10-0 at the NYMR, the Ivatt Class 2 at the ELR and XP64 stock.  Plenty has made it as far as a heritage railway to then be disposed of.

If you like dreaming (I count myself in that number) then there's often stuff up for grabs from the TOCs, privately and the MOD.  I'd best get buying some lottery tickets!   :jester:

Alun

Great stuff, unfortunately the scrap value far outweighs the return on getting one of these beauties restored and put back into work on a heritage line.

You're right, what we need is a bucketload of cash and a few acres, we could start our own full size model railway! How about a tailchaser...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived