Dearnford Junction

Trainsrgr8

Just a quick thing. The SAI (Stop Await Instruction) board wouldn't be facing the same way as the ground signal.

The ground signal is the protection for coming onto the mainline. The SAI board would face the other way round to protect any workers in the yard.

The ground signal is just a sub... It only illuminates when a train is given the right of passage onto the mainline. The stop board is to act as a limit to trains shunting in the yard. Would this be correct?? There is going to be Another shunt signal on the station giving a route into the yard also when i get round to building it. Will i still need a

stop board on the entrance to the yard?

Lewis, thanks for the comment... Yeah i will take some after my tea although i warn you... Theres not much to see!

Danny

Lewis (ArpleyModdeller) asked before for some overall shots of the layout as it is...

SDC13390.jpg

SDC13391.jpg

As you can see theres not much going on anywhere else yet... the next job after the TMD will be the station as i am not happy with the platforms and want to fit working lights...

Couldn't resist a quick trip to the TMD to see what was around...

SDC13393.jpg

Resident shunter to Chitton Sidings wagon works (a short trip down the line) and a frequent visitor to Dearnford TMD, 09006 ticks away peacefully on a sunday afternoon on the fueling road.

SDC13395.jpg

In the afternoon sun, some workers tidy up the maintanence shed ready for the next days work, theres nothing due in for major work untill tuesday so a not to busy start for them this week! The muffled tones of Radio 1 can be heard as a passenger train rumbles by...

Will update when i have soemthing else for you all to see! :lol:

Danny

• RMweb Gold

Any advice on what is needed Dave? Much appreciated

One or the other - probably the signal is best !.

SAI (Stop Await Instructions) are normally provided in yards/depots, where a signal is overkill and the trains are controlled by the shunter who needs somewhere for them to stop so he can choose which one does what first !

hth

• RMweb Premium

The ground signal is just a sub... It only illuminates when a train is given the right of passage onto the mainline. The stop board is to act as a limit to trains shunting in the yard. Would this be correct?? There is going to be Another shunt signal on the station giving a route into the yard also when i get round to building it. Will i still need a

stop board on the entrance to the yard?

Lewis, thanks for the comment... Yeah i will take some after my tea although i warn you... Theres not much to see!

Danny

In this situation the shunt signal should be able to show either two reds horizontally (can be one white & one red horizontally for pre LED type shunts) or two white lights at 45 degrees to allow passage out onto the main line. When the two red lights are lit this has the same effect as a Stop board, i.e. they must not be passed unless there is a failure and the train is being authorised by the signalman. When the white lights are lit the train may continue past the signal.

The only ocasions where you would get a shunt signal which can only show two white lights would be (1) where it is mounted directly below a main running signal e.g. allow a train to enter an already ocupied platform or (2) in rare situations as a repeater for another shunt signal where the loco has to propell the train backwards and the driver would have difficulty seeing the main shunt signal from the cab.

As others have said you could turn the Stop board round as incoming trains may need to stop and wait for handpoints to be set however looking at the trackplan, this would leave the train obstructing the main line while the driver gets briefed by the shunter etc. What is more likley in this situation is that the shunter sets the points as required then briefs the driver (via the signalman) on what he has to do before the signalman clears the signals into the yard.

hope this helps

Phil

Realised i hadn't shown the outcome of my 142 side project....

SDC13407.jpg

Crude photo i know but it shows how much the gangway connection improves the model along with the exhausts.

Also built a light for the depot to enable better night time sessions :)

SDC13398.jpg

Needs some work doing to it still and possibly some more resisitors but thats it at the moment!

Danny

• 1 month later...

Havn't really updated on here for a while now what with taking my A leva exams and what not moddelling hs sadly taken a back seat in my life ... I have been doing some work though, so here is what i have been working on...

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

It is a station building for Dearnford Junction. This will include full interior detailing and lighting.

Hope to keep this more up to date now :)

Danny

Ooh that looks good mate, the speed you work at puts me to shame, i have been building a platform now for at least 2 months and still havnt finished! Need more glue... :angry:

Nice work, cant wait to see the overall result :D

• 4 weeks later...

New arrival at Dearnford TMD tonight...

57307 "Lady Penelope" a Bahcmann model, purchased from Bachmann for £35 at the DRS open day before! Really pleased with it... looks the part and a great runner after running in :)

SDC10464.jpg

Danny

Archived