Cowan sheldon breakdown crane

Hi

I'm wondering what wagons would of run with a 15ton Cowan Shelton crane on the GWR in the 50's an 60's? I've got the crane an match truck from brassmaster but not sure what wagons would go with it! Any advice would be great

Kind regards neil

What you will need are these http://www.cspmodels.com/Product_Images/CSC11.jpg or the Blacksmith bogie which is not currently in production under the Cooper Craft label.

Now found a photo of the preserved bogie one that is under the Blacksmith range. http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=3568

I am not convinced the Hayes vans or the Blacksmith bogie van would be seen with a 15 ton cranes. As the head bpards say. Loco, Carriage and Wagon department' They went out with the higher capacity cranes such as the 35 tonner which were the true 'breakdown' cranes.

At only 15 ton capacity, the Cowan Sheldon cranes were used for more mundane jobs as signal, bridge replacements.  two together were used to move a wooden signal box.

A toad or two with a wagon carrying the intended job, such as a new signal post on a gane/bogie bolster. Signal department had their own riding vans (JIdenco/Falcon brass), as did the PW gangs (usually old 4 wheelers).

Mike Wiltshire

Ok thanks for your help! Another question is what livery did these (WR) cranes carry in the 50's an 60's would it still be great western colours an lettering on the match truck?

Regards Neil

Ok thanks for your help! Another question is what livery did these (WR) cranes carry in the 50's an 60's would it still be great western colours an lettering on the match truck?

Regards Neil

During your time period BR(W) cranes were painted plain black with lettering/numbering in ivory white, using standard BR font.

Regards,

Andy.

Neil,

Forgot to mention in my last post that a General Instruction was given in summer 1959 to paint cranes and support vehicles red after overhaul. The Newton Abbot Division was quite slow on the take up of this, with I think the Laira breakdown train being the first so treated early in 1961. Some of the older cranes like the Cowans Sheldon 15T were scrapped still wearing black livery.

Regards,

Andy.

Archived