Enclosure for layout power supply.

jamesrj

Hello all,

I have been given the task of making a power pack supply for our club's new

layout. the problem is finding a suitable enclosure for the 4 transformers

needed and some electronics.

The enclosure will have to conform with most Exhibition managers requirements of a fire resistant metal/ insulated unit.

The transformers have a total footprint of 8" * 6" with maybe a total height of 6" to alow for ventilation, what have the forum's members used ,and their views??

rj

Hi James

Our club - East Kilbride - has a standard type of transformer box (we have more than one) which we have used for many years. They are constructed of wood in the form of a box with the lid recessed from the top to form a space for cables etc. They are an approximate cube in shape with each side being about 15". The transformer section is about half the depth. No cooling vents or holes are provided and no problems with heat from the transformers has been experienced. They contain four transformers to give us 4 x 16V AC for controllers, 1 x 12V AC for slow motion point motors, 1 x 12V DC for indicators and 1 x 24V AC for capacitor discharge units. The transformer chassis are earthed and the box is connected to layouts by a standard multi-way cable and D connector.

We have NEVER encountered any problems arising from the wooden construction and the arrangement has always satisfied any tests carried out on them.

We have never heard of any requirement from an exhibition manager that transformer enclosures are made of metal or indeed are "fireproof".

I have also constructed a similar box for another club and again no problems have been encountered.

If you wish more detail, let me know.

Regards.

Hi James

You haven't mentioned the individual make or size of the transformers, just the enclosure size, but I have built two layout PSUs into the larger WB6 version of these all metal enclosures from Maplin. http://www.maplin.co.uk/vinyl-effect-boxes-1734#specification

Though you wouldn't get the 6 inch height you're mentioning.

I have fitted Gaugemaster open transformers inside them and four should fit in. Height isn't any problem.

You could always either fit a free flow air safety grill or even wire in a computer style fan if necessary, but I have never found any problems with heat, in fact the metal case only gets very slightly warm, hardly noticeable.

Mine are fitted with a carry handle on top and the mains input is via a three pin 'Euro' connector socket (like a PC/Kettle socket/plug)  http://www.maplin.co.uk/hot-condition-euro-chassis-plug-1497

The ELV connection to the layout on mine were all via an 8 pin socket. But there is no reason why other types of suitable socket(s) etc couldn't be used for the output supplies 

Hello all,

I have been given the task of making a power pack supply for our club's new

layout. the problem is finding a suitable enclosure for the 4 transformers

needed and some electronics.

The enclosure will have to conform with most Exhibition managers requirements of a fire resistant metal/ insulated unit.

The transformers have a total footprint of 8" * 6" with maybe a total height of 6" to alow for ventilation, what have the forum's members used ,and their views??

rj

Unless you need some peculiar voltages, it makes more sense, these days, to buy ready made power supplies and keep the mains well away from the layout and the exhibition jobsworths (more often the venue management to blame, rather than the host club) happy.

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Quite a few people are using an old PC case. Probably the most common arrangement is to use the PCs mains socket for the power inwards, and to mount a series of socekts on the front panel for the power outlets. 

They have the advantage of being designed for electrical use, being insulated and ventilated, and being designed to be opened when needed, but either clipped or bolted shut otherwise.

Several exhibition layouts, mine included, have the transformers mounted in a rack case.

I got mine from Farnell  http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/g17083ubk/case-19-abs-3u-black/dp/1526725?Ntt=1526725

It takes the 12/16v transformers I got from Modelex http://www.modelexmodelrailways.co.uk/

It is also fitted with a mains fan (pc psu type) controlled by a 40 deg. C temperature switch. Overkill? No, the fan came on during Sunday afternoon at expoEM. Mind you, we were also feeling the heat. Some large exhibition/sports halls seem very short of adequate ventilation.

• RMweb Gold

Several exhibition layouts, mine included, have the transformers mounted in a rack case.

I got mine from Farnell  http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/g17083ubk/case-19-abs-3u-black/dp/1526725?Ntt=1526725

It takes the 12/16v transformers I got from Modelex http://www.modelexmodelrailways.co.uk/

It is also fitted with a mains fan (pc psu type) controlled by a 40 deg. C temperature switch. Overkill? No, the fan came on during Sunday afternoon at expoEM. Mind you, we were also feeling the heat. Some large exhibition/sports halls seem very short of adequate ventilation.

Sports halls should be well ventilated.

I am currently designing a Fitness Suite. The operator wants to put so much kit in there that, if fully occupied, I reckon the bodies will generate enough heat to look after the pool next door. How's that for eco-thinking?

Sports halls should be well ventilated.

I am currently designing a Fitness Suite. The operator wants to put so much kit in there that, if fully occupied, I reckon the bodies will generate enough heat to look after the pool next door. How's that for eco-thinking?

"Should" is a little different from "are".

Perhaps the heat output from the layouts, operators, visitors, etc. all day long is rather more than that from a smaller number of people indulging in a rather more strenuous activity for a shorter period of time.

I've found that the atmosphere (climate) in sports halls used for exhibitions is usually comfortable, but equally can be too hot or cold in different seasons. When you spend all day at a show as an exhibitor it is perhaps more apparent.

With the move to more exhibition "summer" dates, then equipment cooling may require more consideration.

Archived