N Gauge Steam Locomotive Conversions

Like most moddellers I have accumilated a number of extra locomotives from previous projects, or bargain buys for projects for rainy days.

Currently Im building an LMS based layout, but I have a number of GWR 45xx, 14xx and Hall locomotives I that are not turning a wheel, so I was thinking into turning them into LMS locomotives.

I already have plans for converting an m7 into a Johnson 0-4-4t but what can I do with the other locomotives I need some ideas

Tricky one. I cannot think of many options there. You may be better off simply selling the get stuff to fund your mms purchases. Particularly when you look at the quality of recent releases.

The Halls could provide useful chassis if you were to scratchbuild or kitbash some inherited LNWR 4-6-0 engines and the like. Likewise, a 14xx chassis could provide motive power for a model of one of these. http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=424251&type=S&page=gallery again it depends on how far you want to go and how much kitbuilding/bashing/ Scratch experience you have and the confidence you have to have a go. However, if you did such models they would look great!

Funnily enough I was thinking about the webb 2-4-2ts I think my branch line may eventually find one employed, and to be honest scratch building can be fun, sometimes, eventually lol

Thats all part of the fun of N gauge if only it was as easy as 00

• 3 months later...

Well I finally found the motivation to start the M7 conversion, and its going, well its progressing I may post some pictures but its beginning to look if you squint and close one eye, and view from a distance like a LMS Johnson 0-4-4t

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've also been working on some basic improvements to the Fowler tenders on some of my fleet, without resorting to complete rebuilds or excessive cost

The progress so far is rather basic, but at least it will avoid the "cloned" look you see on layouts with identical tenders in circulation

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought the ivatt, fowler fairburn and stannier heavy tanks were essentially the same design but with each designer adding their own improvements to what had gone before

Increasing power, fuel capacity or ease of maintenance as each saw fit.

As always, willing to be educated :)

I know I'm probably showing a huge gap in my knowledge but I thought to also, but I think the Fairburn had a slightly shorter wheelbase? Though I think the original 3 cylinder Stannier version had a different cab door, I maybe wrong, which to quote "is not unusual" :)

I don't think the wheelbase will be much of an issue, especially when you consider the compromises we have been living with for ages. That's if I get back to working on the projects, but I have had one of those days where everything just goes wrong.

Oh well back to work soon, at least that will take my mind of it lol :)

• RMweb Premium

Fowler and Stanier 2-6-4Ts had driving wheels spaced at 8' + 8' 6" in the old tradition of Midland six-coupled engines. Fairburn tightened that up to 7' 7" + 7' 9" or just over a foot less on the total coupled wheelbase. Ivatt didn't design a 2-6-4T.

There's a photo of a Stanier 2-cylinder engine here.  I'd say your model is already a pretty good likeness.

Archived