Beyer Garratt 4-6-2+2-6-4

Snowy

Just before WW2 (around 1933 - 1935-ish), the Southern Railway were thinking of purchasing a number of 4-6-2+2-6-4's, but it came to nothing.

I'm in the process of designing and purchasing stock for a ficticious Southern wartime layout and would like to include one of these loco's if possible as a 'What If' item..

Is anyone aware if a model of this type has ever been produced in OO - if so by who, is it still available and at what price ? 

Alternatively, given it's size, an HO model might not look that out of place; so again, is anyone aware of this loco having been produced in that scale ? 

Not too bothered what livery it might be in, as I'll convert it to wartime black.

Thanks !

Snowy

• RMweb Premium

Just before WW2 (around 1933 - 1935-ish), the Southern Railway were thinking of purchasing a number of 4-6-2+2-6-4's, but it came to nothing.

I'm in the process of designing and purchasing stock for a ficticious Southern wartime layout and would like to include one of these loco's if possible as a 'What If' item..

Is anyone aware if a model of this type has ever been produced in OO - if so by who, is it still available and at what price ? 

Alternatively, given it's size, an HO model might not look that out of place; so again, is anyone aware of this loco having been produced in that scale ? 

Not too bothered what livery it might be in, as I'll convert it to wartime black.

Thanks !

Snowy

Snowy,

I hope that I'm proved wrong here - but I think that you are looking for something as unlikely as rocking-horse poo!

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

There are kits for South African GMAM Garrets in H0 from DJH (Should be H0m but also available in standard H0). These are 4-8-2 + 2-8-4 though and with smaller wheels than the Southern presumably wanted so would need major mods to the chassis.

Are there any proposed diagrams for these Southern proposals?  I don't recall any in the various Garrat books although there are several proposals for the LMS as well as the ones they actually bought.

At that period they should have looked rather like a Rhodesian 15th class, putting new streamlined tanks on a Kitmaster kit could get you part of the way.

Keith

I would think that there would have been problems with axle loading and weight limits on many of the lines that would preclude the use of those monsters on Southern metals...

One of the claimed advantages of the Garratt arrangement was precisely that, because the weight was spread over such a long (relative) distance, it was easier on the track than conventional locomotives.  

There are kits for South African GMAM Garrets in H0 from DJH (Should be H0m but also available in standard H0). These are 4-8-2 + 2-8-4 though and with smaller wheels than the Southern presumably wanted so would need major mods to the chassis.

Are there any proposed diagrams for these Southern proposals?  I don't recall any in the various Garrat books although there are several proposals for the LMS as well as the ones they actually bought.

At that period they should have looked rather like a Rhodesian 15th class, putting new streamlined tanks on a Kitmaster kit could get you part of the way.

Keith

Keith - I got the details ffrom the book 'Locomotives of the Southerrn Railway' Part 1 - by D L Bradley  page 76 gives details of the proposal.

I would think that there would have been problems with axle loading and weight limits on many of the lines that would preclude the use of those monsters on Southern metals...

According to the details I have, the proposal was to replace some 64 locos* with just 10 of the 4-6-2+2-6-4 BGs on the Basingstoke to Exeter route - with a speed restriction of 75mph.  The BGs would have been exactly 100' in length with a weight of some 209 tons.  By comparison, the LMS BGs weighed in at 150 tons and the LNER models at 178 tons.

* The loco's to be replaced were: 23 King Arthurs - 6 N15s - 16 S15s - 9 h15s - 8 2-6-0s - 2 0-6-0s  These were be taken from Exmouth Junction (21), Salisbury (29) and Nine Elms (14).

Snowy

Archived