Hornby Helicoils?

So I obtained a china 5MT body then a china 5MT chassis which fits my 45377 at the front; went to screw my bargains together and....
of course there is no brass helicoil/screw fixing at the front of the loco body just an empty socket.
So does any bright intelligent person know where you can get hold this fitting?
Is there a fitting available commercially/way of wangling it/somebody got a spare -which I insist on paying for?
I know East Kent Models do Margate helicoils but this fitting is China made and looking through East Kent's blue pamphlet I cannot find anything
that matches.
Grateful for your observations.

Yes I will contact Hornby but it'll be :-

1). Try X or Y or Z (wild goose chase)
2). We don't do loco or tender bodies spares

Based on previous replies.
Cheers
Bob Hughes

If I understand correctly an 8BA screw fits .So I am looking for an 8BA insert approx 3mm+ wide and about 5mm deep.

Ebay search turned up a firm called Anchor inserts but what is the diffrence between blind and male inserts??

I'm not mechanically competent enough.

Bob Hughes

I'd imagine it's a standard thread, whether BA or metric.  What about epoxying a matching nut into place.  Most good model shops should be able to supply suitably weeny fasteners and, if you ask nicely, may allow you to check the thread on your existing threads against a known nut.

If I understand correctly an 8BA screw fits .So I am looking for an 8BA insert approx 3mm+ wide and about 5mm deep.

Ebay search turned up a firm called Anchor inserts but what is the diffrence between blind and male inserts??

I'm not mechanically competent enough.

Bob Hughes

Blind will have the bottom end closed off.  Male suggests that it's a screw in stud rather than a female (internal) thread.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bob,

I'm wondering if this is the type of thing you're looking for (assuming the photo is viewable ?)

If I recall correctly, this is about half of the original length, having been removed from a 1980s version (Top Link ?) of Flying Scotsman in the BR guise as 60103.

I removed it and cut it down because I wanted to eliminate the unsightly lump of plastic in which it was housed from beneath the smokebox of this model. The original screw was re used, but I can't remember whether I had to cut it back or otherwise modify it with a washer/ collar to take up the excess screw length below the fixing point, but the fixture did work.

If you think you can use this, send me a personal mail with your contact details and I'll send it on. If you don't think it will be any good, just reply to that effect on here

Regards,

John

post-11377-0-32170700-1368367351.jpg

I'd like to thank Brit70053 for sending me a helicoil- very generous.

I heard back today from Hornby brass fasteners not avialable as spares!

However I have been in touch with a model engineer to see if he can make some.

I'll post back if he is succesful.

Thanks to people for their posts.

Bob Hughes60

Okay so you have a Margate or China made body and no threaded fastener to screw into just an empty socket in the loco body.

So what do you do?

Contact BA BOLTS

website www.ba-bolts.co.uk

email sales@ba-bolts.co.uk

Mark Mulcahy is very obliging and has made me both type of threaded fastener.

I went for a "sloppy fit" rather than an interference fit  and superglued them into place with the body fixing screws- no problem.

Mark can also supply the body fixing screws.

I hope this information is useful.

Bob Hughes

I have also sent him a Margate helicoil and a Hornby Dublo threaded fastener- no doubt he will be able to offer these in future.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bob,

Pleased you seem finally to have got to a satisfactory outcome to this mini saga, hope the loco performs well for you after the efforts you've made to assemble it securely.

Regards,

John

Hi Bob,

Pleased you seem finally to have got to a satisfactory outcome to this mini saga, hope the loco performs well for you after the efforts you've made to assemble it securely.

Regards,

John

The rebuilt Patriot 45531 runs fine after a good clean and lub.; I have fitted items from an accessory pack, Unfortunately a brass pipe has fallen off the underside of the right cab.

My attempts to oreinetate it using googled pictures haven't got very far. So I now need a kind modeller with Hornby 45531 Sir Frederick Harrison to show me how it fits with a nice under cab photo.

AH! the joys of modelling 2 steps forward one step back.

Cheers

Bob hughes

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I can't help with that one Bob, the Patriot is not a model I own. I'm nevertheless sure that someone on RMWeb will be able to help you .

Regards,

John 

Archived