Loco sheds steam and diesel

Hi

I am after a loco shed which is suitable for both late steam early diesel locos.

I was looking at the Bachmann 44-017 which I have included a picture of, would that be suitable for my the time perios im looking for. The layout is set in Southern/Western region areas.

If its not suitable can anyone offer any thoughts.

Thanks

Scott

post-267-0-82010600-1368281967_thumb.jpg

The shed shown is a diesel depot. The Eastern Region built quite a few just like that, including Frodingham and Shirebrook.

Steam sheds were more substantial, with less light admittance, and exits for smoke and steam. Usually completely brick built, or concrete.

In the period of the changeover, diesels came after steam, so used steam sheds, but in almost all instances, the steam shed would be cleared out and cleaned out: the muck of steam sheds was NOT conducive to the types of clean repair needed on diesels.

If you have space, have a small steam shed, side by side with a new-looking diesel depot.

This: http://www.stmarnockengineshed.co.uk/Ladeside_Diesel_Depot.html links to a model whose diesel shed is obviously of steam origin.

There are others out there, some use PART of the old steam shed for the diesels. But the two didn't really like to mix.

Thanks for the info. I only have room for a 2 road shed so I will have to find a steam shed which can be converted to diesel eventually :)

Is it Metcalfe shed suitable for Southern/ western region? also what other companies do a 2 road engine shed suitable for the regions I mentioned?

Scott

Weather the exterior as steam would have done, lots of grime, but paint the INTERIOR white before using a thinner wash of grime to pick out mortar courses etc.

Keep in mind that one diesel replaced about eight steam locos, so try not to pack the shed with locos, except stabled at the weekend.

Yes, the Metcalfe shed is perfect for what you want.

While I bow to most peoples superior knowledge when it comes to authenticity, I have a Metcalfe shed and while it looks ok, it struggles to accommodate 2 lanes.  It needs to be placed absolutely correctly so as not to foul the sides of the locomotives on one or the other of the tracks and you'd have to be a 1/76th scale stick insect to enter or exit the shed through its front.

Alun

*EDIT* Spelling, as per...

Ah....well, my comment was on it's appearance, so I can't say about it's size. I no longer model in 4mm so have no direct experience of Metcalfe sheds, they just seemed to have the right style.

I THINK the Bachmann steam shed does too...at a price.

Ah....well, my comment was on it's appearance, so I can't say about it's size. I no longer model in 4mm so have no direct experience of Metcalfe sheds, they just seemed to have the right style.

I THINK the Bachmann steam shed does too...at a price.

As I have actually built, own and attempt to use the Metcalfe shed, I thought it was worth adding my pennies worth.

I really like what I've seen of the Bachmann Scenecraft stuff, but like you say, "at a price"!

I have a Metcalfe shed and while it looks ok, it struggles to accommodate 2 lanes.  It needs to be placed absolutely correctly so as not to foul the sides of the locomotives on one or the other of the tracks and you'd have to be a 1/76th scale stick insect to enter or exit the shed through its front.

That is odd of Metcalfe, what is the width of the shed entrance?

I am sure I have seen them used without the problem you mention.

I'll measure it tomorrow if you like, stage a photograph if I get chance.  If the shed ain't wide enough, the shed ain't wide enough!  But as you're questioning me...

The Metcalfe shed may well be 1/76th scale.  However, with OO gauge, the distance between the tracks is greater than what would be the case in real life to cater for the shorter radius curves and points most of us have to use and the greater overhang resulting from underscale track (the latter isn't necessarily relevant in this instance).  Then there's the fact that this can be accentuated by setrack geometry as opposed to streamline geometry (using Peco terminology).  When 2 Peco streamline points are arranged in a cross-over, the "6 foot" is about a third over scale (taking into account the overhang), and I believe it's greater with setrack.

I have since learnt to source the dimensions of any bridge, shed, level crossing, etc!

Alun

Hokey dokey...  The mouth of the Metcalfe engine shed is 4" wide which by my reckoning gives a scale opening of about 25' 4".  This should be enough, even taking into account the roads of an engine shed would have had a 6 foot greater than, err, 6 foot, but not the geometry I wrote about above.  I understand this is taken into account in the Scenecraft and Skaledale ranges and it's not unusual to find reference to buildings and foot bridges being altered one way or another in these pages.  Looking at the shed itself, I could probably have modified the building in it's construction phase - if I had anticipated the issue - which I didn't!  There is what I can only describe as an inner brick wall, which provides some rigidity but narrows the opening.

The other alternative of course is to have something approaching prototypical radii exiting your points.  If budget isn't an issue, I'd get the Scenecraft shed, but do check the internal as well as the external dimensions before permanently fixing down your track.

Alun

I used the Metcalfe engine shed on Peco streamline code 100 track spaced with the Peco red plastic spacing tool and it was absolutely fine accommodating 2 lanes. I used a Peco streamline small radius point placed about 400mm in front of the shed. Of course, if you are using set track, then the lines are much further apart and perhaps the Metcalf engine shed wouldn't work.

Well quite, if you read my last 2 posts properly, I pretty much give the reasons why the above could be the case.  However, with the exception of the turnout being closer to the shed, my circumstances are similar.  Do you have a photograph?  I'm interested to know how close the opening of the shed is to the locomotive(s).

Alun

I used the Metcalfe engine shed...

Thought not!

Can I ask Scott, the thread starter, what you've gone for?

Alun

It's a nice looking building!  When you're done, I'd be interested in knowing about those clearances.  If it does look like it might be a bit tight for the fitters and enginemen, think about omitting that "inner brick wall" I mentioned.

Alun

Archived