OO track gauges

Hi all,

My next project is to crack PCB pointwork. Last time around I wasn't a million miles off but I think some more gauges will help me.

I have a set of smp brass roller gauges & I'd like to get a full set like the scalefour society sell. That set had triangle gauges & the gauge that fit between the rails.

Has a set of triangle gauges ever been done in OO & if so where can I buy them from ??

Cheers

Simon

Simon

When building 00 gauge turnouts, un-like P4/EM/00-SF you dont need 3 point gauges for gauge widening, as from what I have read the over width tyres on the wheels added to the distance between the 2 wheel flanges are able to compensate. Thats why 00-SF works with a gauge of 16.2mm and uses gauge widening on curves

Yes there were 3 point gauges made by Hamblings (and I guess others) but these are L shaped not triangular so do not gauge widen. I have 3 sets but they are for code 100 rail

What might assist you in building track to 00 gauge is a piece of flat bar 1.2mm thick for a wing rail gauge and a set of 00-SF check rail gauges, but to be quite honest the 1.2mm bar would also work

• RMweb Gold

But I don't think Simon wants a gauge for 16.2mm SF 

No doubt he can answer for himself. Many modellers hand-building track for 00 have adopted the 00-SF standard and been well-pleased with the results.

Martin.

Hi all,

I'm not sure on this oo sf i've not really heard of it before so i am not sure if oo or 7mm narrow gauge will run to those standards. I'm just looking for some tools that will assist me a little better than just a roller gauge.

Simon

Simon

00-SF will give you much finer looking track than 00 through the crossings and providing you have modern wheels it has been designed to work with NEM standards straight out of the box. You will need a full set of track gauges though.

As for 7mm narrow gauge. I am building a small 0-16.2 layout, but as all my stock will be new there should be no problems with wheelsets. But if you are using older 00 RTR mechanisms you may encounter problems

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

For 7mm narrow gauge with sharp curves I suggest using the 16.5mm 00-BF standard rather than 00-SF.

00-BF roller gauges are available from Markits. They are probably very similar to your existing roller gauges. I'm not aware of anyone making a 3-point gauge for 16.5mm, but you don't need one. The 16.5mm 00 gauge dimension already includes gauge-widening for sharp train-set curves.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

No doubt he can answer for himself. Many modellers hand-building track for 00 have adopted the 00-SF standard and been well-pleased with the results.

Martin.

Probably So he has, but I think you should have made the existence of the 'other' standard clear.

EDIT

As an aside, didn't the Double O Gauge Association produce a 3 point track gauge???

• RMweb Gold

He asked about 3-point gauges. The only ones I know about for 00 are for 00-SF.

Martin.

I couldn't trust my memory or indeed my ability to lay my hands on it... but I have a 16.5 mm 3 point gauge (just popped it onto a length of Peco Streamline to make sure) and if IIRC it was purchased off the Double O Gauge Association stand at Warley about 10 years ago.

Hi Simon,

For 7mm narrow gauge with sharp curves I suggest using the 16.5mm 00-BF standard rather than 00-SF.

00-BF roller gauges are available from Markits. They are probably very similar to your existing roller gauges. I'm not aware of anyone making a 3-point gauge for 16.5mm, but you don't need one. The 16.5mm 00 gauge dimension already includes gauge-widening for sharp train-set curves.

regards,

Martin.

Thanks Martin

I'm going to dig out my old windows computer soon & update templot on it to the latest version & start doing some templates & maybe even a layout plan so i can make the trackwork for it. 

Hopefully the roller gauges i have will work fine for my narrow gauge modeling. 

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I have a pair of three point gauges for BRMSB 00, basically 16.5 mm with EM clearances. Same as 00-BF?? Or do I mean DOGA-Fine? I think I do!

Made by PSM, though I forget where I got them; found them somewhere on the web I think.

This came up some time ago, having now read through the old topic...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13200-where-can-i-find-00-three-point-gauges/

...I can report that the three point gauges are available from MSE. Apparently made by Slater's, in spite of the markings.

Archived