Does anybody know of any train/hobby shops on Shanghai, China ?

brian777999

Are there any train/hobby shops worth visiting in Shanghai, China ? I will be there in October and I hope to see a few things related to model railways if I can. Last year I was in Beijing and Yichang and I could not find one single hobby shop anywhere. 

I did not get to ride on any of the very fast trains last year  but this year I will be on both the very fast train between Yichang and Beijing and I will get the Mag Lev train from Shanghai airport to the city.

• RMweb Gold

The Maglev is good but make sure you get the fast one travelling at the full 431km/h and not the (more common) slower ones!

(I'm not sure if these times are published or not.)

I knew 2 model shops (railways) in shanghai.

One on Pan Yu Lu which did mainly Bachmann RTR, and one (I forgot where) that seemed to do mainly impressively large, intricate and shiny Brass structures!

As I said, both gone now.

There was a more general model shop (no railways but good for kits and materials and radio stuff IIRC) along Nanjing XiLu.

That's been there for more than 10 years (a huge amount of time in China!).

I will have to check (internet) and when I'm there (all of June).

This area has really gone up market and It may have been ousted by all the Ferrari dealerships by now!

Kev.

The Maglev is good but make sure you get the fast one travelling at the full 431km/h and not the (more common) slower ones!

(I'm not sure if these times are published or not.)

I was at the travel agent today and they found a list of times on the internet. It seems that only two trains per day run at the full speed. The last train is at 9.30 PM and my flight arrives at 9.25 PM so it looks like I miss out there. I might get on the Mag Lev train the next day and do a round trip from the city to the airport and back. It is only about $7 and I will make sure that I am on the full speed train at least once.

Hobby shops are scarce in China. It seems that nobody has time for hobbies in China...everybody is working 7 days per week !

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

I also found one in Beijing out between Peking and Beijing Technical universities!

The National railway museum, in Beijing, is well worth a visit but the one in Shanghai is worse than awful. I was left slightly traumatised after that visit.

(Very few exhibits but some awful images about old wars and occupations.)

Kev.

Archived