Scratchbuilding a GWR 'Ocean Mail' brake in N: what goes on the roof ?

So far so good

OceanMail.jpg

and yes I know it has the wrong bogies right now, and still needs footboards, end steps and what have you 8)

Its a 3D printed basic shell with various other bits attached to it including vinyl and thin plastic sheet for the sides. The drawing I have (the old Skinley one) suggests there are rails or similar on the roof but I've not found anything to clarify ?

Alan

I don't think that is the K38 (waits to be corrected  :tomato:). Looks like an older K19 I think. The roofs on these were pretty plain with no ventilators but they did have ridges running down the length (rainstrips perhaps?).

It has the first livery of the K38s, with pseudo-panelling. The previous Ocean Mails coaches were 70' ones.

There is a photo in one of the Great Western Railway in the 1930s volumes that shows two K38s in a train*. The plain roofs are very distinctive.

*Edit: Looking back through previous posts, it would appear to be Volume 1, Plates 37 and 65.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53570-k38-full-brake-liveries/

Adrian

This is a K38? If so there was very little on the roof except some handrails. No ventilators. See Comet's instruction sheet for the K38. http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

Adrian

Beware to Comet plans. It has been discussed in a previous thread regarding the Collett 1925 stock. The parallel twin hand rails are are a 1930's modification and not all the K38's were modified. The 1926 Pseudo livery was as built with two single handrails placed central.If you look at the Comet 'built up' crimson and cream coach, it has the original single handrail fitted and not as their own instructions. The official Swindon shots, as published in Russell, show the two cental mounted single hand rails.

Looks good

Mike Wiltshire

Archived