Newport (Gwent) Neon Model Railway Show

Shared the uneven floor problems but things were running well by Sunday including  12 car Blue Pullman - anyone got a shot of that please?

Yup the chip pan effect was interesting but at least it wasn't our chips that were frying. And the bacon butties were excellent.

Great to see some super layouts - particularly enjoyed Paynestown, Abercynon Fach, Hampton Loade and Cashmores. Most operators looked far more relaxed than us. Great to meet several more RMWebbers - but thought Enterprisingwestern was around as there was a very noisy hoover....! And no badger cull on Abbotswood, one has taken up residence under the new oak tree already.

Peter survived his first show on the crew and Jimbo turned up on Sunday with 2 new Dapol Wessies

So all in all a great show. Many thanks to Richard for organising and also for the layout invite

Phil

I have to agree with you Phil. The "guess the length of time the electric will stay on" on the Saturday was entertaining on but looked very frustration for you watching from next door. I also enjoyed the bacon butties. The whole exhibition was a fun place to be as there seemed to be a very relaxed atmosphere about the whole thing. Every layout had something different or interesting to look at. I especially liked the round, steel works inspired one. Very novel and well concieved model and the one with the working wagon tippler and traverser was brilliantly executed, if in need of finishing.

Watching you on Sunday perform was much more entertaining and seeing that 12 car Pullman set in model form was amazing. Just imagine what it must have looked like in prototype form.

A wonderful relaxed weekend. Many thanks to the organisers and staff working behind the scenes for putting on a good show in a most unusual enviroment.

Paul J.

The "guess the length of time the electric will stay on" on the Saturday was entertaining on but looked very frustration for you watching from next door.

The whole exhibition was a fun place to be as there seemed to be a very relaxed atmosphere about the whole thing.

Every layout had something different or interesting to look at. I especially liked the round, steel works inspired one. Very novel and well concieved model and the one with the working wagon tippler and traverser was brilliantly executed, if in need of finishing.

The intermittent electrical supply was a feature of the previous show as well - but at least this time the hall didn't resemble Siberia in winter.

Yes, it is a fun event - I think most of us found that

As for the circular steelworks - I'll pass your observations onto its creator, my brother Paul (naturol).

Brian R

The intermittent electrical supply was a feature of the previous show as well - but at least this time the hall didn't resemble Siberia in winter.

Yes, it is a fun event - I think most of us found that

As for the circular steelworks - I'll pass your observations onto its creator, my brother Paul (naturol).

Brian R

Actually Brian R,

For next years' show, there is a backup supply for the electricity;

An old bicycle dynamo....

A list of suitable volunteers was drawn up for doing the "honours"

Needless to say, your name was top of the list ;)

Many thanks for your kind comments. The Kitchen will have a ring circuit of its own next time, NO you cant have the chip fryer and 2 urns on at the same time !

We had about 420 visitors -150 more than November

Yes I am planning to form a Railway Club, meet Friday Evenings, first meet tba.

I spent a fair time running around checking everyone was ok, resetting the breaker, but very little time actually watching trains.

If anyone is thinking of organising an event take my advise - DON'T !!!! (only kidding)

Everybody who promised to turn up did, which was a relief although I did have to build Thomas the Tank set at short notice.

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice to see it back next year - definitely an eclectic venue but it worked quite well I thought and it's reasonable walk from the station (notwithstanding the fact that the station entrance has been moved nearer to Cardiff for reasons I find near impossible to understand).  The selection of layouts on view was excellent despite the fact that some were not new to me - lack of novelty is irrelevant when the quality is there, and it definitely was.

My only criticism - apart from the inability of local dog owners to clear up after their animals have fouled the pavements, but nothing to do with the show of course - was that the entrance seemed a little disorganised and distinctly short of change, especially when around 80% of the first group of entrants were on the £4 'concessions' price.  And at £4 I thought it was excellent value - it would still have been good value had I been young enough to pay the full fiver ;)

It was good to meet and chat with many of you during my wanders around the exhibition, especially on the Sunday.  I was there helping out with Hampton Loade, which on the Saturday consisted of mainly railcars shuttling back and forth. 

Thought I would put up a selection of my photos from the exhibition:

1. "Railcar Gala"

IMG_1547.JPG

2. More Railcars

IMG_1548.JPG

3.  GWR Railcar on Southern Metals (Egglesham(?) - Newport Clubs Layout)

IMG_1566.JPG

4. A look over the fence at "Falcon".  This is (or will be when the transfers are applied) "BSC Shepcote Lane" complete with working coal tipper and a wagon traverser.

IMG_1565.JPG

Regards

Matt

Many thanks for your kind comments. The Kitchen will have a ring circuit of its own next time, NO you cant have the chip fryer and 2 urns on at the same time !

We had about 420 visitors -150 more than November

Yes I am planning to form a Railway Club, meet Friday Evenings, first meet tba.

I spent a fair time running around checking everyone was ok, resetting the breaker, but very little time actually watching trains.

If anyone is thinking of organising an event take my advise - DON'T !!!! (only kidding)

Everybody who promised to turn up did, which was a relief although I did have to build Thomas the Tank set at short notice.

First meeting of potential new club Friday 14th June 7:30pm

• 3 weeks later...

Archived