Am planning a layout of the area controlled by Northampton No. 1 Signal Box.  The plan is to have the layout fully mechanically interlocked.post-17388-0-81435000-1355655649_thumb.jpg
Have drawn up a diagram for the control panel using the LNWR track diagrams, section 5 book and a box diagram:
post-17388-0-59683700-1368908863_thumb.jpg

Am beginning to make a locking sheet but am unsure of a few signals.  They are:

Ground Signal 9

post-17388-0-83583400-1369168618_thumb.jpgWhich route does this cover? Red, Black or Both?

Ground Signal 10

post-17388-0-86786300-1369168621_thumb.jpgRed or Black?

Ground Signal 24

post-17388-0-34507200-1369168623.jpgRed, Black or Both?

Shunt Arm 40

post-17388-0-57165900-1369168626_thumb.jpgRed or Black? If Red how far does it apply?

Distants 47, 56, 57 and 58

post-17388-0-31416500-1369168645_thumb.jpg

Are 56 and 58 off when a path to a is clear and 47 and 57 for B?

Ground Signal 50

post-17388-0-45170400-1369168650_thumb.jpgRed, Black or Both?  Again, if Red how far does it apply?

Ground Signals 55 and 59

post-17388-0-18070500-1369168652.jpgWhich route does each apply for?  A, B or C?

Thank you in advance for any help in clearing up my confusion.  Shows my lack of knowledge in regard to prototypical signalling.

• RMweb Premium

These are my suggestions, although I will be honest in saying I would have expected more to give a clear indication on route

• I would have said 10 reads into the down and towards platform 6
  • 9 I would say reads through 22 to 18, in the absence of a dolly on the ground I would have said it can read either to 4 or 5,
  • 24 my gut feel would be it reads back to the gantry, but thinking about carriage shunting that would mean you would then have to reverse into platform 5 and then reverse again into the carriage sidings. Similarly to read to the Up I and the carriage sidings I would have expected an additional dolly. Maybe this one just prooves the locking and can read to the Down Gantry, the Up and the carriage sidings
  • Shunt ahead 40 is reading into the carriage sidings
  • When 56 is clear the road through platform 1 is clear with 46 off towards Dunston West Junction
  • When 57 is clear  on the Up main 48 and 44 will be off towards Dunston North
  • When 58 is off the line is clear on the Up main towards Dunston West and 49 will be off towards Dunston West
  • My gut feel and I may be totally wrong is that it would read back to the gantry and the home could be used towards the carriage sidings - But really not sure on this one - If it is back to the gantry it only applies as far as being clear of the gantry for the purposes of shunting
  • My suggestion would be 55 reads onto the Up main and 59 reads onto the Down line to Dunston West, I would have thought looking at the diagram you would run back as far as the gantry to then get the road into the Down passenger loop or goods loop.

I may be wrong on some of them and certainly don't know LNW practice so some I was not sure on. Hope this helps and I am sure others will correct any mistakes I have made

kind regards

Duncan

•  

These are my suggestions, although I will be honest in saying I would have expected more to give a clear indication on route

• I would have said 10 reads into the down and towards platform 6
  • 9 I would say reads through 22 to 18, in the absence of a dolly on the ground I would have said it can read either to 4 or 5,
  • 24 my gut feel would be it reads back to the gantry, but thinking about carriage shunting that would mean you would then have to reverse into platform 5 and then reverse again into the carriage sidings. Similarly to read to the Up I and the carriage sidings I would have expected an additional dolly. Maybe this one just prooves the locking and can read to the Down Gantry, the Up and the carriage sidings
  • Shunt ahead 40 is reading into the carriage sidings
  • When 56 is clear the road through platform 1 is clear with 46 off towards Dunston West Junction
  • When 57 is clear  on the Up main 48 and 44 will be off towards Dunston North
  • When 58 is off the line is clear on the Up main towards Dunston West and 49 will be off towards Dunston West
  • My gut feel and I may be totally wrong is that it would read back to the gantry and the home could be used towards the carriage sidings - But really not sure on this one - If it is back to the gantry it only applies as far as being clear of the gantry for the purposes of shunting
  • My suggestion would be 55 reads onto the Up main and 59 reads onto the Down line to Dunston West, I would have thought looking at the diagram you would run back as far as the gantry to then get the road into the Down passenger loop or goods loop.

I may be wrong on some of them and certainly don't know LNW practice so some I was not sure on. Hope this helps and I am sure others will correct any mistakes I have made

kind regards

Duncan

•  

Thank you for the advice. Have gone with all of it bar two points.  Ground Signal 50 and the back to gantry on 24.  I personally couldn't see why a shunt would need to be performed in this manner so decided to exclude this path in order to simplify the locking.

Regarding 50.  I looked at the route setting with a mind towards safety and thought that logic dictates that any train entering the bays had to use levers 20 and 21.  I deleted this so as to make things clearer and realised that the remaining half of the crossover functioned perfectly acceptable for the shunting moves so have interlocked it to moves through the scissor towards the carriage shed. 

Hope this makes sense.

Finally i've completed first draft of the interlocking table.  Anything missed, incorrect or advice to be given?

post-17388-0-14592300-1369633505_thumb.jpg

Interlocking Chart.doc

Archived