WHEEL CHANGE TRIANG AL1 E3001 & TRANSCONTINETAL

chev32

Hi All , I Have been trying to source some fine scales for my  triang e3001 and trans con BO-BO as my layout is using code 100 and 75 peco track .I had some luck with the blue pullman and sr emu obtaining these of ebay and the bothe run well on the track but no luck with the others   look forward to your suggestions thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi I ordered my wheel sets back in May but still no sign of them so I emailed Ultra scale , To their credit they promptly replied ,sounds like its a small business and they have a lot of back orders and will attened my order ASAP so I'll have to wait with baited breath

Hi I ordered my wheel sets back in May but still no sign of them so I emailed Ultra scale , To their credit they promptly replied ,sounds like its a small business and they have a lot of back orders and will attened my order ASAP so I'll have to wait with baited breath

UltraScale do each order individually and in order which is why they sometimes quote quite long delivery times - usually in months. Their website list orders that are currently being progressed so you get some idea when you reach the front of the queue.

As they are the proverbial dog's whatsits when it comes to wheelsets, and admittedly are not always the cheapest, you get what you pay for and in this case it's quality.

So you need to be patient - yes they are a small but very precision outfit. I've used their wheels and gearsets and they are excellent. 3 to 4 months is a quite usual turnaround.

• 3 months later...

Hi my ultrascale wheel sets that i ordered for the EM2 and AL1 have  turned up in the mail a couple of weeks ago ,I will post some photos and info fitting these shortly in the mean time I have found an add on ebay posted by a guy inthe UK selling change over wheel sets and axles for the Transcontinental  Series locos Here is the link ,regards steve 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Triang-Hornby-Wheelsets-For-Later-Track-Points-R55-R155-R159-R253-R257-R353-R753-/131048387293?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e8317b2dd

It's worth remembering that the original wheelsets fitted to these models are not all the same. Whilst I wouldn't guarantee the running of any of them through code 75 track, any Tri-ang items made after 1962 or so should have wheels capable of negotiating universal (code 100) track, because by then Hornby Dublo were making 2 rail and it made sense to ensure that Dublo users could add Triang products to their sets (by 1962 items such as the scale length Mk1s and locos such as the Britannia were very capable of use on 'scale' layouts).

The ridged treads to the DMU and TC/E3001 wheelsets were dropped in around 1970 and for the remaining 7 or so years of production, wheelsets came with smooth treads and were obviously code 100 compatible as Super 4 track had by then been replaced with System 6. These later wheelsets were available as spares for many years after but eventually the supply dried up. I would drop them in to earlier items and retain the original wheels for returning the model to factory spec if required - this was back when I used to run everything on code 100 track, but these days the gap between modern and vintage RTR is so great that I have gone for separate layouts, one scale with code 75 track and an unashamed train set with Super 4!   

• 3 weeks later...

I used to turn the wheel flanges down in a lathe. I remember doing a pair of wheelsets for a dock shunter and the steel was extremely hard. We had to mount a little electric motor with a grindstone on it in the toolpost on the lathe and use that. I'm guessing a carbide-tipped tool would also do the job.

Curiously, an early double-ended diesel of mine has course wheels on the motor bogie which don't work on later track, but the plastic non-motor bogie wheels were fine, even over points...

Archived