position of conical water tower GWR

sn

Just wondering if it would be following prototype practice to place my GWR Conical water tower at the buffer stop end of my ex GWR terminus rather than the more usual platform end as it just seems to look better there.

Any examples of the prototype doing this at all?

I've got a related question to this. On a layout such as this...

platform - fiddleyard

...I was going to run my autocoach so that the loco and autocoach were arranged like this...

loco - autocoach

...as somewhere on here or old RMWeb there was a thread about the correct way round to run your autocoach and loco with regards to the line it was going to traverse. It strikes me however that if your water tower is at the platform end...

platform - water tower - fiddleyard

...then the autocoach is going to have to be backed right out onto the line to enable the loco to be filled. I was going to put my water tower like this...

water tower - platform - fiddleyard

...as then the loco could be watered with the autocoach still sitting in the platform. So with a line that uses a loco and autocoach, is there a 'correct' end to put your water tower or not really?

• RMweb Gold

I've got a related question to this. On a layout such as this...

platform - fiddleyard

...I was going to run my autocoach so that the loco and autocoach were arranged like this...

loco - autocoach

...as somewhere on here or old RMWeb there was a thread about the correct way round to run your autocoach and loco with regards to the line it was going to traverse. It strikes me however that if your water tower is at the platform end...

platform - water tower - fiddleyard

...then the autocoach is going to have to be backed right out onto the line to enable the loco to be filled. I was going to put my water tower like this...

water tower - platform - fiddleyard

...as then the loco could be watered with the autocoach still sitting in the platform. So with a line that uses a loco and autocoach, is there a 'correct' end to put your water tower or not really?

The platform-water tower- fiddleyard situation is perfectly acceptable however the autocoach must not pass a signal at danger in order for the loco to get to the water tower, the signal must be lowered. When watering is complete the loco must withdraw the autocoach back into the platform and the Driver must give 3 blasts on the whistle to indicate to the Signalman that watering is complete and that the signal should be replaced to danger.

Archived