1956 Model Railway News

As a result of following a link to a layout in the May 1956 issue ('The Trenuth Tramways' - a very nice small British 'interurban' line) I borrowed the bound 1956 volume from our club library (we have virtually all of them) and was struck by the amount of advertising, some of it possibly answering some of the topics in this section of the forum.  In particular the Kirdon, Hamblings etc. diesel shunter topics and K's wagons and I will post scans of these in the relevant threads.

Some of the other ads may be of interest in general and I'm posting these below.

The ABC Chairway track was quite revolutionary at the time and deserved to be popular.  However, I suppose its relatively high price kept sales down compared to fibre based track.

Gaiety show a moulded body GWR 'Toad' brakevan.  I've not knowingly seen one.  Predates the Hornby SD one by a few years.  (Not sure about the relevance of handcuffs, especially for children...........................)

Nucro had a large range of parts - including it seems a track system made of 'Cobex'.  I remember 'Cobex' as being the stuff school rulers were made from (I think?) and these were clear not Brown.  Anyone remember it in the flesh?

post-807-0-91467800-1369317263_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-69088500-1369317514_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-35245200-1369317546_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-63853300-1369317587_thumb.jpg

I have seen the Gaiety brake van (only once though, about 40 years ago). I was going to buy it, but was dissuaded by the high price being asked and the underscale appearance (at least to my eyes).

EDIT

I've never seen another to confirm, or otherwise, my impression. Possibly the price made it a slow seller?

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen the Gaiety brake van (only once though, about 40 years ago). I was going to buy it, but was dissuaded by the high price being asked and the underscale appearance (at least to my eyes).

Ah,the good old days before the trade descriptions act - the advert proclaims 'correct scale model' without necessarily pointing out which scale, 'OO' at that point giving you complete flexibility between 3.5mm and 4mm to the foot........

Archived